TKR March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!

Yesterday I attended on-shift training with about 30 of my brothers and sisters on the fire department. As a Public Safety SCUBA instructor with my department, I assist in providing feedback afree aquatic training to discuss, what was great, what was OK and what can be done better. During the de-brief, one of my coworkers publicly congratulated me on my return to firefighter operations and commented on the determination and hard work it must have required to accomplish. The entire group applauded me! I nearly broke down and cried right there! Enjoy the moment…

Everyone deserves recognition for their efforts on this forum so in turn I applaud the supporters, moderators and all those kind words of encouragement as we take our next steps. Still more to go:)
 
Welcome and Gratz to everyone who has joined the knee replacement club!!

I’m coming up on my one year anniversary. March 8 in 2022. I had my non-bonded right knee replacement done.

Recovery is going really well. A little bit of discomfort under my kneecap because structurally, everything in my knee is still mine, except that I have no ACL. Still going to PT once every two weeks. Still ice down after exercise. Consistency is key.

I am currently training towards a bikepacking trip from Banff to the Canada/US border and back in August 2023. I have a ways to go, but I’m very determined to get there.

Instead of being excited for next step in my journey, I’m now excited for the next pedal stroke
 
@Samsrf When I was released by my surgeon at 9 months he said the same thing. Key to TKR longevity is muscle and tendon strengthening. It keeps your bones strong and stabilizes joints. I definitely don’t require any convincing. Cycling, hockey and ongoing PT exercises monopolize my activity at the moment.

Coming up on 1year anniversary!!!
 
Today I celebrate 1 year since my TKR. Lots of ups and downs. Not sure if I’m more excited to be at the one year mark or that my knee is still getting improving. Remarked to my wife yesterday how much smoother movement has become.

Have ridden over 700km on my bike/spin bike in 2023. Playing hockey(easy beer league) twice a week, home PT 2-3 times a week. Want to ski again but waiting on that one until next season. Getting tired of winter and looking forward to warm weather activities.

The rush of feelings and energy when recovery leaps forward and allows me to do a bit more than before. Satisfying. My knee still keeps me honest and let’s me know when I’ve done too much.

Many steps of perseverance, determination have led me here. Could not have done it alone. Mental support from my family, my wife and people like the ones on this forum has been key. Still got lots of steps and goals for 2023. Onward and upward into year 2!
 
@Axx72 What an uplifting update! Thank you! I am sure members who are just beginning the recovery process will be encouraged by your long list of milestones.

And yes, year 2 will bring even more activity. Well done!
 
Greetings. You have an amazing story and I am sure you are a very strong-willed person. My name is Alex, I'm 38 years old. I'm from Russia. 9 months ago, there was an operation for a total replacement of the right knee. Before the operation, I played hockey until the last day, 3-5 times a week. I would really like to return to hockey at the amateur level at least 1-2 times a week. We have much fewer forums on TCR in Russia and I am looking for advice or stories of those who have returned to hockey around the world. I am sure that there are a lot of such cases in the USA and Canada. Specifically in your case-do you use orthosis, brace to support and protect the knee? Did your doctor allow you to play hockey? I would be very grateful for any information. Thanks. Sincerely from Russia.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Asics35 In the end, it’s really up to the individual to decide what your are capable of. Trust me, I really don’t like being told that I can’t do it, so I have definitely overdone it a number of times during recovery. Lets me know where my limits are.

I probably play hockey 1-2 times a week and very much enjoy it. It is not high level but relatively good hockey for my age. I wear compression braces for hockey, not a custom knee brace. I do wear foot orthotics but not in my hockey skates or cycling shoes.

I cycle much more than anything else because it has always been my passion, road, mountain and gravel biking. My surgeon recommended cycling as the number one exercise for TKR recovery over the long term and secondary to that is muscular strengthening. I was told to stay away from high impact sports, pretty much anything that includes running to increase the longevity of the joint. I very much listen to my knee health and let that dictate activity intensity.

I have always been a really big skier, but I am trying to be patient and wait until next ski season to try that again.

As athletes, you know that we can be very impatient when it comes to injury, this is not a 6month but a 1 to 2 year recovery time. My knee is still recovering at over a year. As tough as it is, my advice is to be patient, consistent with your recovery exercises. With a good attitude you will get to where you want to go. If you are not a cycler, I would suggest taking it up because it is such a great exercise for knee recovery.

It’s great that you have found this site and I hope my advice helps. You will find many people with great advice and support on here Welcome to Bonesmart!!!

….from Canada
 
Last edited:
Hockey
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    2B931A0C-3C9F-4B9A-A03E-5D7B4F244FC8.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 93
Hello. Thank you for the answer. Yes, for the first half of the year after the operation, I turned the exercise bike every day, did exercises at home and a little on the gym in the gym. I've already been on the ice and my knee feels good. I bought a strong hinged brace with a sports "Townsend" frame to minimize dislocation of the knee when hitting. I will continue to watch the knee. I can't do without hockey at all-at least once a week to play and a completely different emotional state. P.S. Canada is a great country and a great hockey team. I'm really looking forward to when our national teams will play again at the Olympic Games and World Championships.
 
I don’t play contact Hockey anymore. A little too aggressive for me. I just super enjoy going out skating with a bunch of decently skilled players. Again, I just use compression braces, but I can understand how you would want something a little more robust if you’re playing contact. Careful u don’t overdo it.

Love watching Canada/Russia hockey matchups always great competition!
 
1 year and 2 weeks post TKR, still working hard towards normal. For those who ask if it ever goes away? As u get less activity reactivity in your knee, you can forget it’s there and when u forget about your knee it feels awesome and when you push the limit a bit I reminds u to be smart about stepping further outside your comfort zone…:tantrum2:

Find I used to complain about doing the proper exercises, now there are so many to choose from that having a rotating weekly schedule is very important. Shoulder season, especially in Canada, can be difficult waiting for roads to dry out. Wanna go riding my bike soooooo bad!:bored:

My OS recommended muscle strengthening arguably being the most important to joint longevity. Good to have a goal.

I’m not done moving forward with new recovery steps yet. Just like everyone, keep moving forward but by bit.:ok:
 
@Axx72
So happy you keep going! I am a week out of 1 year anniversary. I did a “super sprint” triathlon last week (200m swim, 10k bike and 5k run- more like walk run)
I find at this point self motivation, switching activities up and just being grateful (attitude) is the primary focus! Can’t wait to hear about the 2 year check!!! Keep Going!
 
A new milestone in my knee progression. Reached the 100km ride mark a few days ago. 1yr & 3mos post TKR. So excited to keep going and improving this season. Having a goal, whatever it is, is so important in maintaining your mental health. Although I’ve been at this stage of fitness development before, it feels like the first time.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_9365.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Amazing! So pleased for you.
 
100! Congrats to you for a remarkable recovery!
 
Just interested asking anyone who has had a superb recovery like you.
How deep can you squat these days?
I would like to be able to get back on my haunches to get down with grandkids.
Can now get past 90 degrees but not comfortable any further yet at 6 months.
Also can you kneel freely? I can do it for short periods on a thin cushion but have to position myself carefully. Does it get easier?
 
Most of the ROM I’ve attained can probably be attributed to the amount of cycling and training I do. I can do a two leg squat to about 135 degrees but cannot sit fully on my haunches with my TKR leg. I can one legged squat to about 120 degrees, however don’t do either motion very often as originally a deep knee bend was how I blew my meniscus in 2015, putting me on this road.

As far as kneeling goes. Spending extended time on my knee can get uncomfortable but is really no less manageable than before my TKR. As a firefighter my turnout gear has integrated knee pads in the pants and when working on other jobs that require extended kneeling, I’ll wear some nice gel knee pads.

My TKR was done while preserving my entire ligament and tendon structure save having no ACL. I’m sure having my original kneecap has to help but kneeling always feels weird as opposed to painful, probably because of the ongoing numbness and occasional neuralgia from the TKR procedure itself.

Everything surrounding those motions got better bit by bit and still seem to be improving. I’m working towards increases based on my OS’s recommendation to do everything I can to strengthen my musculature and connective tissues that stabilize the knee joint itself.

Hope I answered your questions:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
Based on the current time though, my knee still gets me up early in the morning:nah:
 
Thanks. That is helpful regarding squats.
I am certainly not aiming to do any one legged ones!
I would like to be able to squat down further than I can currently to pick up toddler grandbabies- without bending too much and straining my bad back.
I would also like to be able to kneel for longer and more freely than I can currently. I agree it sometimes feels more weird than painful. The numbness is less but still a bit odd/ unpleasant.
I take your point about not pushing things in case of injury though. I can sit back pretty far in child's pose but deliberately don't put my weight back.
Useful to know what to aim for as you are clearly much fitter than I am.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom