Guest viewing is limited

TKR March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!

Entering the ODIC doesn’t close doors, it opens your eyes. You begin to see that what you did is possible to achieve!
I love this! I need to remember this next time I feel down about not yet tolerating what I want to do.

Your story has been inspiring and uplifting to read. Thank you!
 
It's inspiring to hear if only a few people can draw some confidence from my small contribution to this amazing group of people. I'm glad to help @Fluttershy

Even now approaching 2 years, it will always be 2 steps forward and 1 step back but when you experience that big improvement, remember to be thankful for what you have achieved and look how far you have come. Having a second chance to enjoy life lets us know that each step along the way has a purpose in our journeys. I'm still excited for my next steps and everyone else's too. :ok:
 
A spin in Mexico then back to winter in Canada. Maybe a few more outside rides if the weather holds :wink:

Working to keep my motivation up with plans for the new year. Lots of exciting Bikepacking goals to work towards and a few friends willing to do it with me. It’s not work if you love doing what you are doing.:snork:
 
Bit of a bump in the road.... some uncomfortable knee pain medially probably from a bit too much activity. Considering talking to my PT about it, who I have not seen since mid-January 2023. She is always able to give me good insight and advice on progress. I am very lucky to have had a super supportive professional to help me along the way. ... time to take a step back and relax.... which is never easy for me but a necessary part of healing and moving forward.

Christmas is coming and so are the calories. Suppose I should get some shopping done.
 
Bit of a bump in the road.... some uncomfortable knee pain medially probably from a bit too much activity
Bummer! And right at the start of ski season. Hope it is short lived. Do you mind me asking where on medial knee and what activities you think may have flared it? I’ve appreciated you sharing your journey this long. It really helps to see a big picture and see that struggles at 3 months with pain and ups and downs can have a happy ending….aside from these bumps in the road.
 
That is a challenging part of this rehab for us previously active people. I put on maybe 8 pounds during the first 2 post op months, mostly from lack of exercise and for lapsing back into some bad habits like eating cold cereal. Now my diet is better again and I am getting a little more exercise, but it is a struggle. When you get older it is really easy to add weight, but super difficult to lose it. And here come more holidays. Oof.

Christmas is coming and so are the calories.
 
Do you mind me asking where on medial knee and what activities you think may have flared it?
May be arising from a bit too much hockey as cycling does not seem to irritate it. Seems I always have a hard time trying to nail down exactly what I did. No real painful or unusual event. I'm thinking hockey, as it seems to flare a little from rotational movement. Bit of ice and compression... work on the upper body and get back into the pool during the winter season. There are always options available if we are willing to see them :)

I most definitely have come to terms with ups and downs. As soon as you think you have it made, that's when you get a big helping of humble pie.
 
glad you have other options to keep up the fitness. I’ve always loved hockey skating (frozen lakes are the best!), and skate skiing. But my body never liked transitioning to/from it and other sports. My glutes (esp. glute medius) get lazy in the summer, but knees need glute strength to maintain good knee alignment, so the femur doesn’t rotate internally too much during lateral and rotational movements.
Hope for you it’s just early season niggles that work their way out soon!
 
The good news is that it seems to be resolving itself. As most of my.ODIC visits, usually it just requires some rest and some TLC.

Went for a significantly more executive spin session than within the last two weeks and then he responded really well. Again, that is lineal motion so could have been Hockey….

To be sure, I have a visit next Wed with my PT, who is nothing short of awesome. I feel very blessed to have worked with her for the last 19 months. I think I like to get myself worked up sometimes. We seem to be good at that.

:giggle:
 
As most of my.ODIC visits, usually it just requires some rest and some TLC.
Haha! So you just drive thru, but don't check in, right? :wink:

Kidding aside, I hope you're back on track soon.
 
After getting some more imaging done, have determined that there is no prosthesis movement, which I was the most worried about resulting from the torsional strain. There would have been significant joint effusion. Lateral ligament and tendon strain treated with ultrasound, inferential and dry needling produced very favourable results. Slowly increasing my cycling durations again seem to be successful without pain or unusual inflammation.

I was at a point where movement on my knee was not even noticeable relative to my biological knee. I am super excited to take another step in the right direction. Learning from setbacks is not always easy but sometimes it's a necessary step in our journeys.
 
It's a welcomed relief to get your update!
 
Glad it was nothing worse. Take it easy.
 
Thankfully it wasn’t something more serious, you have a plan and you’re on the mend. Great news and best wishes!
@Axx72
 
This is the first year that my kids are not playing hockey as they have both aged out of community leagues. To be honest, I’m having a bit of winter blues because I cycle so much in the warm seasons and was previously busy coaching kids and playing hockey. Ski touring and hockey taken have bit of a dip so the next chapter of cycling is on the horizon in the fat bike realm.
 
I can empathize with you about bike riding. I ride for pure pleasure, not competitively. I enjoy looking at the scenery and the different smells. Being too cold to do that can be a real downer. It is such a good exercise to work these new knees, especially if we don't overdo it. We'll get back out there sooner or later, but we will!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom