Guest viewing is limited

TKR March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!

I shouted for joy after my first forward revolution! You are so right. The knee's function is so much better than its numbers!
 
Never been a fan of taking drugs as I like to know where pain tolerance is and don’t want to push mobility too far because of pain killer level
Hi Axx72, I like your wise words. I also want to recognize when I have pushed myself too far and end up with more swelling because of it. Then, of course, I am backpedaling my recovery because I don't go slow and steady like a tortoise.
Entering the ODIC doesn’t close doors, it opens your eyes. You begin to see that what you did is possible to achieve! All said we pay for our excitement and learn a bit more about what our body is telling us. I still send feelers out and still find those limits. They let me know when I’m ready to take the next step.
 
Another month has gone by and my knee is continuing to improve in small ways. Faster recovery, less swelling and the slow retreat of lateral dermal numbness. So excited and thankful for the successes I’ve been blessed with. Sometimes I feel scared I’m due for a joint reversion and will have to start from the beginning again. No use living in fear…onward :wink:

My sights are set on riding the great divide trail in June 2024. It’s a major undertaking with lots of planning and preparation between now and then. I have two great friends of approximately the same age who will be riding with me. One has had a PKR about 10 years ago and the other has had his share of bone and spinal procedures.

Somehow our physical setbacks and camaraderie have given us strength to keep moving towards our dreams.

More steps to go, more decisions to make, more of the recovery journey is yet ahead! :kayak:
 
My sights are set on riding the great divide trail in June 2024.
As we always say here - eye on the prize. It's all about getting back to living again.

Great update @Axx72 ! So happy that this recovery is going well. Please do not worry about any revision. You are doing well!
 
I love this! I relate to a lot of what you’re saying. It’s so exciting to be getting back to adventures, yet there is that little fear that it will be taken away and you’ll have to start over. But also the gratitude and enjoyment of a healthy life returning. Complex emotions.

I’m so excited for you for your epic trip on the Great Divide trail! I have dreamed of through-hiking one of the big trails…GDT, PCT, CDT, AT, etc. It’s sure to be an amazing experience for you and your buddy. My best hiking friend has had multiple surgeries on her back and feet, and me with my various hip and knee surgeries. But we always say, “But we do it anyway!” meaning, somehow we always get back to hiking together.

It’s great to hear how you’re doing. Keep posting!
 
Thanks for sharing an update. You're doing great!
What an exciting adventure you're planning with your friends. Just think how much stronger you'll be feeling by then. :yes!:Your thoughtful support of others here is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful week, Axx!
@Axx72
 
Been a bit since check-in. Recovery is moving along pretty smoothly. Just when you think its normal there are little advances that I did not notice previously. I actually have some decent quick twitch leg muscle reaction beginning to show, which is great. Not that I'm gonna start doing jumps but can actually bounce up stairs now, more than a month ago.

Maybe the last bikepacking trip for this year but gonna ride out to the mountains on the weekend of Sept 30th for an overnight trip. Prob about 250km over 2 days of riding. Will be riding with the same buddy when we went for our big trip in the beginning of August.

One great thing about the tail end of summer is that slowing down a little, my body gets a bit more recovery time. So helpful in slowly getting stronger step by step.
:spin:
 
Been out that way numerous times…it never gets old
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 87
That is a beautiful photo!
Your recovery is going so well. I hope you have a wonderful trip to the mountains in a little over a week!
Stay safe and enjoy!
@Axx72
 
Well, not such a successful trip this go-around. Started raining the day we left... did not make it out to our campsite destination, got turned around by the weather. After about 50km I got home and came down with a bit of a cold for a few days:nah:

On the flip side though, got to try out lots of cold weather and rain gear. Also had no issues with icing down the knee after riding as it was only about 5 deg C out. lol. Its just another step in a long journey and maybe we will be blessed with some nice weather before it gets wintery.:thumb:
 
Oh, bummer that your trip got rained out. Hopefully, you'll get out there and camp while the season allows it. I've been camping in the winter and it's exhilarating! Of course, I was much younger then. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much now.
 
Sorry your trip didn't go as planned. Sounds like you made the best of it though. No surprise given your optimism and sunny disposition. Enjoy the rest of the week!
@Axx72
 
Very happy for you, Axx. That is an awesome update! :yay:
@Axx72
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom