THR MammaT’s Matched Set

I recommend a good long hot bath (maybe with a glass or two of wine) and then ice! Take advantage of being able to soak now.
 
Lol- no bath tub. House is a 1950s ranch with only one bath on main floor. When we redid bathroom we opted for walk in shower which is length of tub (figuring it would be easier for us as we get older. Found it extremely helpful as hip got worse (stepping over tub was almost impossible) and it was great afterwards. Since I don’t drink,I will have some nice tea a my relaxant, but I do appreciate the heart of the advice!
 
I love a nice glass of tea, now and then hot tea and sometimes I like hot chocolate...I am outta it right now. It's sooooo cold here and snowy ... I liked church today but the extra stuff for Christmas can wear you out. I want you shower
 
I've had fun with both hips because the shower is in the tub (both bathrooms are that way). I never had a shower bench or shower chair to use, so careful maneuvering is necessary. Luckily, the sliding shower door has a sturdy bar at the top that I can use to balance as I get in and out. Aussie Girl's cup of hot chocolate sounds good! I think I need to find a mug or two of it tomorrow. I've been allowing myself to have all sorts of things this week but Monday it's going to be back to the low carb diet.
 
@SaraK enjoy some hot chocolate and ditto the shower situation I do have a thrird bathroom in our finished basement very nice walk in shower never wanted to try those steps. Hubby thus killed the water to it as we never use it...maybe come summer
 
Last edited:
@MyAussieGirl - What's funny is that I hadn't even thought about the fact that we do have a shower stall in the finished part of our basement as well. We've just never used either bedroom down there other than as a guest room or office and that shower stall has probably only been used a handful of times in the 20 years we've been in this house. Like you, though, I think I'd rather maneuver to use the showers upstairs rather than going down the stairs since there isn't even a bannister on that stairway.
 
Lol @SaraK we have a banister but have only lived here 3 years. I hurt too much when we first moved to go down there but maybe 3 times. Two new hips now but not ready for a steep flight of stairs :reindeer:
 
@MammaT I'm imagining your house now as so warm rustic and lovely....the perfect home to sip tea in! I love a hot soak the tub...something I plan on doing as soon as my incision allows it...but I love the idea of a large walk-in shower, especially as getting older. So much easier! I have a small one in our ensuite. Too small though, in my opinion. Hubby and I can just fit together, but no room for movement....so definitely no Sexy shower time hahahha
I haven't tried stairs in our house yet other than the couple to get into our house. I don't often go downstairs as it is unless to get something from the deep freezer or in the summer to go to the backyard for the pool. My two grown sons have their rooms down there and a full bathroom I avoid at all costs because, well, boy coodies! Haha There's also a summer kitchen, a spare room, a wreck room that is the gym area, and a spare room for guests. Sounds extravagant but it's not....it's very simple. The stairs down are just straight down...no turns...and there's rails but I'm still too nervous. Perhaps next week. I need to build up some more strength....and courage. I'm a little fraidy-cat these days.
 
What’s amazing is we all manage to make do with what we have, and sometimes forget what we have. These bad hips teach us much!

@danabanana, while the house seemed small at times when the boys were young, it is perfect for me now. My husband and I used to kid that we downsized it out ever upsizing! I do have to go to basement for laundry, but have double banisters.

Now you all have me thinking about hot chocolate!
 
So happy you had a good day...MammaT. I'm really going to have one today.
Loss of donations pouring in. Our community has really stepped up this time of year.
Had huge donation of fresh turnip greens from area farmer yesterday (not a fan myself) but clients will be recipients of fresh produce so good thing.
Hope your bad old hip feels good enough for you to go, bad enough to keep you ready for that surgery...if that makes sense?
:) :-) (:
 
We are finishing up community wide food drive for second harvest food bank (they handle the government money and get stuff out and monitor the food pantries). Our pantry this month is December 21. Somehow choir Christmas gathering got scheduled same night. Some say”it will be cold and we have a low turnout on cold nights), but I think we may have many looking to us for their Christmas dinner. I will go to pantry first and if there is time will go to party. Have to follow my heart-the customers look of gratitude lifts me more than any party.

I get what you mean about old hip. It and groin are talking louder (but not yet screaming) I have a feeling it will be a race to see if screaming comes before surgery or not. Noticed this morning that gait is shifting. When standing straight, left foot lined up and pointing straight, right is naturally pointing out to right. Right leg starting to feel shorter (and look it when stretched out, if you get what I mean). I am only able to notice subtle changes since I have lived through them before.

Having ice and snow here today-will try not to join your slip club. Funeral today for the youth mentioned earlier, but then this evening church council so that should help me walk through this.

Have a good day @Mojo333.
 
We are also Second Harvest / Feeding America members...it's where we purchase our USDA food out of Savannah.
And yes, it's the clients that we serve that make an other wise taxing job enjoyable and fulfilling.
Tonight will be tough, I'm sure.
You have a blessed day also.
 
Right hip really acting up this am. Hope it will be transitory and not moving to constant state. However, in eight short weeks I will be in recovery mode! Makes me glad I got it scheduled.
 
@MammaT - I hope you can relax some today as well! Feel better! :flwrysmile:
 
You are such a smart comforting voice to many on this forum.
Praying you have a super peaceful holiday and keep being an inspiration to all.
You don't overdo either.
Can't wait till I'm patting your head after your brand new hip in February!!:friends:
 
I look forward to it! Youngest son texted yesterday wanting to know how many days he should take off to help me. Hard to tell when you’re not sure how long hospital stay would be. He is putting in for a week but can go back earlier. He works second shift and will, if I am doing ok, go back to work after I am home but stay nights at the house. He did that last him and made sure I had good lunch and plan for dinner before going to work.

Meanwhile I am ordering new recumbent bike (my mom’s 20 year old one I use is shot), get house ready and get 5 lbs off. While I do not yet have constant pain, some movements (like bending) cause a sharp awareness that hip is not happy. Hopefully it does not go south all the way (I am a wimp and want to avoid that!). Part of me thinks “you shouldn’t have surgery if you aren’t in misery all of the time.” The other part says “ you have experienced the falling apart before and know where it is heading, so stop the wreck before it happens.” I am glad I have decided to learn from experience (as I sit here with mild throb in hip!)

Have a good day. Have to spend a couple of hours in car and sitting in 3 hour meeting for work. Hoping right side behaves.
 
@MammaT - My philosophy with the second was that I knew where it was headed and I would have less pain overall if I got ahead of things and did the surgery before it got too bad. More time feeling good and, hopefully, a better recovery because I wasn't as far gone. And with the time it can take to get on the surgery schedule, you don't want to wait until you really can't stand it any more. Mine hurt much worse in the two weeks prior to surgery. I think my brain let the pain peep through more to make sure I didn't back out!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom