THR MammaT’s Matched Set

@MammaT How goes the battle?
I actually went and sat in my car after a couple of weeks. Then I had to back it out of the garage. Once I was comfortable that, it was around the block. Right hips are easier because stepping on the gas is pretty easy to do.
After RTHR, I was never actually officially released to drive, probably because they knew.... I didn't need to get the hydrocodone refilled so after 3-weeks, driving the 2-miles on country roads to the store wasn't an issue. If I lived in the city, I wouldn't have done that.
 
@dougie0216 I live in KC and driving makes me a bit nervous. Braking for crazy lane changers makes me hurt thinking about it. Before surgery, I had two grandsons in the car and somebody swooped in front of me. Had to brake quickly and I about cried from pain.
 
Battle just keeps on going @dougie0216, and I fully intend to win it. I think driving in a week or two should not be a problem. I personally just want swelling down more and leg feeling firmer. My doc doesn’t do official releases for driving, they cite the conditions that prohibit it.

Doing pretty well with cane. No recent solo walks! Noticed today standing on both legs much more evenly, so right hip accepting weight well.

Had one of those post op blues spells about all of the stuff I can’t do. Son gave me lecture on all of the stuff I can do. Got it out and feel better. Cleaned up kitchen after fixing dinner. Sitting and icing.

This recovery is better than first. Hopefully pt will get me outside walking this week and I can incorporate it in to my routine. Would prefer to have someone with me first trek past my driveway. And maybe soon my recumbent bike. Hope doc clears me for that Tuesday. I’d settle for 5 minutes of it!
 
The excitement for the week is that Tuesday when I go to doc we are having one of those freaky later winter days with a high of 70.

Had to promise son to do no work from home this week so will find other diversions, like research retirement trips.
 
Retirement trips sounds like a great way to pass the time! Something exciting to look forward to. Consider this recovery trip preparation. :happydance:Retirement seems so far away for us that I can't even think about it or i get depressed :loll:

My hubby and I love to travel. We're going on a cruise the end of March and to Holland and France mid May. The hip better cooperate, lol
 
@MammaT check into a princess cruise to Alaska. We went the end of August and it was AMAZING!!! Be sure and spend a little more and get a balcony. We just sat on the balcony and watched glaciers. Maybe that should be our hippie and knee cruise!!!

We also went to Mackinac island. Absolutely gorgeous.

Siesta key Florida and the white sand beaches are gorgeous.

Then again my favorite place is New Orleans. Good food- good jazz

I am so ready to feel like traveling. I have a list started. Let’s share our ideas.
 
@MammaT

Was just catching up on your thread. Glad cane is going well, sorry about missing pity party. I’m always up for some Cake. :snork: Dr tomorrow for you. You’ll be glad for day out. We’re easy to please right now.
 
Thankfully a short lived party. Those darn things just swoop right in on us. Today will be a better day. Currently lots of rain here so don’t know about outside walk later.

Actually slept in bed for 2 hours last night on side. Woke up and pillow shifted out. A little stiff and some knee pain. No meds since 9 pm may be part of that. Starting off morning with coffee and ice and meds. Fitbit tracked me at 900 steps yesterday. There were more steps than that on walker that it didn’t pick up. Will see how 1/2 mile feels since I’m close to that. Figure I will have days above and below, but just want overall progress at the end of the week.

Since I had no cake yesterday ( need to plan for those parties better), may celebrate hips two week birthday with some ice cream probably not for breakfast though.
 
  1. Glad I'm not alone in this stir craziness! We can all get through this together. Besides waiting to go back to work longer this time @MamaT, is there anything else that you plan to do differently? I tried to go out walking every night after supper last summer, but never got further than around the block. I'm really hoping for much longer walks everyday. Needlepoint is a great idea--you'll have something to show for all of this sitting around. I wish I enjoyed it more. The one good thing with all of this time is that I'm able to catch up on my reading. :) I'm so happy we had our surgeries when we did and will be ready for the nicer weather!
 
Last time when I returned to work I was still using cane almost full time. Hope to be off it except for occasional security when I go back this time.

Will talk to doc about outpatient pt tomorrow. I don’t mind things for stretching and balance, but not sure machines and weights needed in early weeks. I think they caused unnecessary groin pain.

I hope to be back to my 2mile or so walks sometime this summer. That and working in my yard without it being such a struggle. And chase after grandkids!
 
Go to doc tomorrow @AgilityDog. Just finished pt. She believes knee pain is from it band. Did a bit of massage. Stretches, walking got things talking a bit but ice seems to be calming down.

She thinks movement is doing well at this stage. I am still pretty stiff in using cane. She says loosening will come with walking but don’t over do it. She sees improvement in abductors. Doesn’t want me walking outside without anyone with me yet and if I do go out by self to use walker, but I can use whatever I want to for doc visit since there will be people with me. As much as I would like to use cane, it is a long walk from waiting room to patient room, unless vast improvement overnight, walker is most sensible. As Jaycey likes to point out, we need to look at distance therecand back.

Pain is dramatically better from two weeks ago of course. Still taking pain med in morning and evening. Used Tylenol in between yesterday and that worked well.

So, for two weeks, I think I am doing well. I am pleased with recovery to date. Pt agrees that trying to do too much too soon can gives problems down the road. So I will just sit for awhile and let ice do it’s thing and handle my daily routine.

Have a good day.
 
Good :wave:news. Due to scheduling, my 2week was last Wednesday.:yes: I learned that my OS wants his patients to take lower dose of Tylenol multiple times a day. :scare:I didn't see that in the instructions, but easily added. I appreciate hearing the advice you were given. It makes me feel better about what I am doing. (About the time I think my brain is clearing, I see written proof :shocked:that is not quite true)
 
Yes, mine has incorporated Tylenol and ice much more into this recovery than first. I am tracking total Tylenol since it is in Percocet. He seems to be ok with something stronger for first few weeks, but not heavy doses. I will be just as glad to get all the way onto Tylenol, and then nothing!
 
I will be happy to get to only Tylenol as well. I have Aspirin to take every AM as well. I had been taking BP meds prior to surgery. But, it was so low after surgery that I didn't need Rx. I learned that the pain meds can lower the BP. Hooray for listening to our doctors and knowing they pay attention to every little detail.
 
@MammaT glad your PT went so well! Sounds like you've got a good PT who will listen to you and your body. I'm worried about going outside on my own now too. It's been nice having people around last couple of days to go outside with me, but tomorrow is supposed to rain and everyone else is back to their old routine. pt suggested I go to the mall to walk around when it is raining. Not that I wouldn't love that, but it's exhausting just thinking about it. Getting in the car with the walker, then getting out of car with walker and just walking to mall doors would be lots of work at this point. :heehee:
Happy to hear your pain is doing better! Retirement planning sounds like a great distraction. Any ideas where you'd like to go? I think we should all join @Mireille on her cruise and France and Holland trip. It would be a party! The only trip we are planning right now is out to Winnipeg to visit my husband's parents this summer and FIL's pancreatic cancer is back. We're planning on driving down and stopping in Chicago and Minneapolis which will make it more fun. Hopefully he'll still be doing ok at that point. Should hear more on his options and timeline this week.
Enjoy your evening!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom