Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all - 4.32 on the day the Stryker Twins are to take up residence. Restless night - not nervous but my usual wakefulness when I know I have to get up early for something. In bed with TV on - lots of coverage of the blizzard in NE USA - snow looks mighty impressive.

Time for a shower, hair wash & blow dry (gotta look good in the OR), put out the garbage, & close up the house. Then I'm going to have a walk around the block - last one on my cranky knees. I have a friend tee'd up to pick me up at 6am to go to the hospital.

MISSING my morning coffee - part of my daily ritual - BIG mug of coffee in bed with jazz and book. I'll just have to wait till tomorrow.

People, thank you so much for your well wishes and collective positive vibes. I'm feeling strong and confident (even though I am caffeine depleted - pre op meds should help with this). I don't know WIFI position in pre op so this could be last post until I and my buddies emerge on the other side. Hoping everyone is travelling well today, warmest regards to you all - cheers Maggie x
 
Best of luck Maggie, I have the same knee and it is doing great at 6 weeks. Thinking of you and wishing you the very best with your new knees. Holly :flwrysmile:
 
@Holly - thanks for the positive message. Hope all is well in your world - Maggie x
 
Maggie, I have Styker Triathelon Irish Twins--they were not born together but within the same calendar year!!!

Good luck with the surgery---I will post the recovery articles for you so that you have something to read in your lucid moments!!!

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Thanks for reading material. I am in my room on the ward at the moment goung thru the pro op routine. I've seen Dr sleepy..femerol and spinal blocks plus light general is the recipee for me today. I hope i get this room when i come back to the wars. Corner position on 7th floor. Big windows with trees outside. Got at least 1.5 hrs to go...think I'll have a nap. Next post will be from the other side. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Thinking of you Maggie, when you read this it will all be over, best wishes to you, hope all goes well xx
 
@Maggie94 - by the time you read this you'll be "one and done", the advantage of bilaterals. Thinking of you and looking forward to reading your posts from the other side.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins Sunshine coming your way soon. Holly :loveshwr::flwrysmile::spin::wave::hi:
 
Hi Maggie - hows your journey? I hope your hospital has a better wifi network than mine did! Feels awesome to be home.
 
Sending you healing thoughts, dear Maggie!
Your journey with your new knees begins today!
(((hugs)))
Karen
 
Hope when I wake tomorrow that you and your new knees will have posted! Hope the pain meds are doing their job and you are resting and icing!

Good night from snowy Massachusetts!
 
@Maggie94

thinking of you....wishing the best. You should be on the other side by now....looking forward to hearing from you...
 
Hope all went well Maggie! Looking forward to hearing how you're doing when you're up to it!
 
Just checking will check annon. Hope all is well.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi all. Will read yr posts later...but thankyou
In the high depend ward for the nite. No pain. Femerol blocks roc. Both done. Very happy... even managed ro enjoy hosp food. Love to al Maggie xxxx

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Well done lass mind you enjoying hostipital food hmmmm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom