TKR Madinana Made it to knee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Oh this thread is funny...I've so enjoyed reading it this morning. Okay the recipe for Haggis is traditionally as follows. I have tried it and I have to say that if you didn't know what was int it you'd think you were eating very peppery minced meat.

Traditional Haggis Recipe
So what is haggis and where can you find one?
Looking for a haggis recipe? Well, you've come to the right place.
Haggis gets a somewhat mixed reaction, even here in it's country of origin. It always puzzles me that when people find out what ingredients make up a haggis recipe they screw up their faces in digust yet will quite happilly stuff their faces with some of the muck from multi-national fast food chains!

There are many ways to enjoy haggis~~

  • Boiled - the traditional way.
  • Baked - the contents removed and baked in an oven. Purists will hve a contract out on me for including this but it just so happens to be my favourite method.
  • Fried - dipped in a batter and deep fried - another one the foodie snobs will have me for, buit many people happen to like it this way and who am I to judge?
  • Stuffing - haggis is also very versatile as a stuffing for poultry. Try chicken or turkey stuffed with haggis - delicious!
Do you have a favourite or alternative method I've missed? Let me know please - your input is most appreciated. broken link removed: https://www.obanargyll.com/ to go to the contact page or use the "email me" button on the navbar.
OK, what's in it and how do you make one?
There are numerous recipes with every butcher and granny claiming to have their own secret ingredients which makes theirs just that little bit different - different blend of spices, perhaps some smoked or game meat.
Haggis though, was created by poverty, need and the necessity to use every bit of meat and food available even if they were the "nasty bits"! Primarirly a peasants dish.

Take one sheep ............
Haggis is a sausage (Great Chieftan o' the Pudding Race) encased in the sheeps stomach although many butchers will now use synthetic materials. This part is not actually eaten (Well, I don't anyways!) but for for some reason it's the ingredient in the recipe that wrankles the noses.

I'm sure you'll eventually find a butcher or manufacturer who does you favourite recipe and that, my friend, is by far the easiest way to go. Just take it home boil, bake, fry or whatever and you're done.



For the more adventurous read on ............



Haggis ingredients and recipe

Sheeps 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced (ground) with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animals stomach and boiled.


  • Sheep stomach cleaned, turned inside out and soaked overnight in cold salted water.
  • Heart and lungs of one lamb
  • 1lb or lamb
  • 2 large onions, finely chopped
  • 8oz oatmeal
  • salt (about a a tablespoon)
  • ground black freshly ground pepper (teaspoon)
  • Stock (the water the meat has been boiled in is best)
  • Water
The next three are recent optional ingredients:
  • dried coriander (teaspoon)
  • cinnamon (teaspoon)
  • nutmeg (teaspoon)
Method

  • Boiled all the meat until cooked through (Save the stock)
  • Mince the meat
  • Mix it all together with the seasoning and stock
  • Pack it into the stomach bag and seal
  • Chuck it into a big pan of cold water, bring to the boil and then simmer for 2 hours
[Bonesmart.org] Madinana Made it to  knee #2
Haggis is traditionally served with bashed neeps and chappit tatties. That's mashed turnip or swede and potatoes to the uninitiated. And it's even more fun with good company and a little alcoholic refreshment ....

Enjoy


broken link removed: https://www.obanargyll.com/address-haggis.html.
[Bonesmart.org] Madinana Made it to  knee #2
| broken link removed: https://www.obanargyll.com/haggis.html |
| broken link removed: https://www.obanargyll.com/ |
 
@Legin it has to be medium to well. My husband ordered my steak during the summer. I out a knife into it and it looked like I'd murdered something on my plate and I heaved x I threw a napkin over it. I called the waitress told her he'd ordered my steak wrongly done. Any way they dealt with it. I watched him eat his but in the end had to look away it was like watching a bloodbath on his plate. No exaggeration! Yuk! X

Haggis content I t's no worse than what they put in sausages. X
 
Shakes head the only way to get full flavour is Blue. Warm steak, warm not cook. Dry pan heated till it is mightily hot smear oil on steak put steak in pan press for 15 seconds turn over repeat serve delic

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom