THR Made it... my random thoughts

Oh @Mascaramom I am so glad you are doing so well! I'm sure you must have been tired after all of the excitement from the party, but look at you ready to cook dinner now. Wow! I'm feeling like I must be a chicken still using my walker. lol I haven't tried not using it. Worried I might fall and then all of this would be for nothing and I'd have to start over in even more pain. You're lucky you don't have the staples. They are really starting to hurt. Remind me, I think you had the posterior approach. Is that right?
Good luck with all of the changes starting tomorrow. Hopefully the older one will be able to help you out. You've got this!
 
I’m impressed @Mascaramom. Can’t believe you are walking solo! I’m not there yet. Great news about bruising. I’m glad I had no staples/external stitches.

You said you were conserving pain meds-are you taking nothing yet? I’m spreading my time out, but still need something. However, everyone is different.

Glad the party was such a success and you got to enjoy it. I get what you mean about you and husband and different ways of doing things. My husband and I, after time, got to the point where we didn’t critique the different approaches so much.

I’m sure you’ll figure out coping with kids-it’s what we do.

Have a restful evening recuperating
 
Your post makes me feel soooooo much better. My hip was done on January 17 but I still feel the ups and downs you do. You are SO NEW to this new hip, I am very proud of you. Today it is icy with sleet here in KC and the gray makes me feel claustrophobic and antsy. I couldn’t find anything on TV, didn’t want to do any of my projects, tired of reading so I just climbed back in bed and watched the sleet fall. I sound like one of your kids throwing a little fit! Like many have have said this surgery has a massive recovery -deep in your hip, plus a major emotional recovery. We are not used to sitting and waiting...we want it now! Plus, somehow I think the world thinks it is an easy surgery. “Well you can drive.” “You’re getting around so well!” But nobody realizes how we collapse in our chair, exhausted, when we get home. Nobody that is except the people HERE. They get it!!! Rest now. Close your eyes and see my area with ice and snow and the world has slowed down. It is rather calming. I think I’ll light a fire in the fireplace! I will send you calming thoughts as you wrangle little ones alone. You can do it!!!!
P.S. my hip has no bruising either. I think we are lucky. My incision still swells and my “back hip pocket buddy” stays until I ice it away. All part of the recovery.
 
Sometimes you just need a good cry before you can continue to move forwards.

Glad that your recovery is going well. I know exactly what you mean about others doing housework! Hubby is a good cook but for some reason kept getting takeaway after around a week I just couldn’t face another and decided that I’d be able to manage the cooking :loll:

I think being patient is one of the biggest challenges with hip ops. I can remember ringing the physio around 2/3 weeks out and asking if I could hula hoop. When she stopped laughing she said no :heehee:
 
@Jackie222 we do go a little stir crazy don’t we? Impressed though- I couldn’t hula hoop before surgery! Maybe I should try it in the spring! My husband has kept up with the house and laundry like a champ. We made doubles of meals and so we have food. How is it going all over the kitchen to cook? I tried to empty the dishwasher and was exhausted from all the putting away. :yawn:
 
@Jackie222 - the problem was that you asked! :loll:Seriously, sometimes you have to think twice and make sure you're not moving too far beyond what you've already done (but who am I to talk? Taking things easy or being conservative not what I'm known for). As always, pain has to be your guide - if it hurts, slow down and try again another day (but maybe not the next day.
 
I tried to keep my movement to a minimum, clung on to work surfaces and made simple meals @Walkinginthesand. Emptying the dishwasher is supposed to be one of job of the boys do. I had the perfect excuse of not bending for 6 weeks :heehee:
 
Hi....Thanks for the update!
You sound wonderful! @Mascaramom
Walking with the cane from almost the beginning, very impressive!
The mini meltdowns happen, try to just let them wash over you.
I usually ended up laughing about whatever stupid thing I was crying about a half hour earlier.
Temporary insanity! :rotfl: Not really, but that's what it felt like coming at you from nowhere.
Don't be afraid to call on back up when hubby goes back to work. I'll bet you ease into it well.
Hope your night is peaceful!
 
Last edited:
Thank you EVERYONE for cheering me on...

@hipster333 I had the lateral approach. I have about a 12 inch incision from my "cheek" around and down the side of my hip. EWWWWW.
Just thinking about it makes me queasy

@MammaT after being released I was given
Oxicontin To take every 12 hours, and percocet to take every 4 to 6 hours if needed. Plus the usual cocktail of blood thinners and stool softeners. I did not like the way I felt when I took the oxycontin. Maybe it would have been different in the hospital, but at home it made me way dizzy and too drowsy. I was much more comfortable taking just the percocet. I was taking 2, every 4 hours and I went through my 1st prescription quickly as you can imagine. When I went only one week later for my post op, he gave me another refill of 40 pills. I was still taking them every 4 to 6 hours, 2 at a time. I realized I was Starting to run low a few days before the party so I tried to wean myself down to only 1 every 4 hours. It left me quite uncomfortable so I wanted to make sure I had plenty available for Sunday. I took my last 2 before bed on Sunday night and woke up Monday miserable with no painkillers to take. I called the OS office and they gladly wrote me another prescription, but warned me that this would have to be the last one of this kind because I had taken too many pills in too short of time.
Understood....
Monday afternoon I had the new script in hand, and decided to take only 1 every 6 hours. today I Took 1 in the morning when I woke up, and did not take another 1 until 2 o'clock. Right when I was starting to feel exhausted and the pain was coming on, and knowing the kids would be home from school in an hour lol.

I had enough energy to put away the groceries that I had delivered and then I took a nap. Sadly I Didn't have the energy to cook dinner, but we had plenty of leftovers.
I will probably take one again this evening Before I Go to Sleep so I can hopefully sleep comfortably...

@Walkinginthesand You have no idea how much I miss the seasons, and the snow. You gave me a beautiful mental picture to relax by! I'm incredibly jealous. My children have never seen snow but I will make sure that changes next Winter!
 
Glad you have pain back under control. I took 1 Percocet and an extra strength Tylenol every four when I got home. Now taking every 6-8 hours on second script. They gave me a tramadol script today for when perc is no longer needed. Looking forward to when nothing is needed but not there yet.

Nothing wrong with leftovers for dinner, some stuff is better the second time. Hope you get a comfortable sleep.
 
@MammaT you are SOOOOO right about leftovers!!!!!!


I have Tramadol that Was given to me while I was first contemplating surgery. It did nothing for the hip pain so I never bothered to take any more than the 1st dose. I guess I'll keep it around, just in case....
When I had my killer headache, They Told me I couldn't take anymore Tylenol because it was already in the percocet.....
Grateful to hear it works for you, as that is what I would like to replace this Percocet with...
 
So glad you are getting improvement.
Getting back to life without hip pain is such a great gift to give ourselves.
Happy to hear you are doing so well.
 
@Mascaramom I've never heard of the lateral approach before. That scar might be easier to hide under a bathing suit. I learn something new here everyday. :idea: I guess when we are looking at our progress we need to consider the difference approaches taken in surgery as well. Good luck today. I know you are nervous with hubby going back to work, but you're going to do great! :thumb:
 
@Mascaramom
I'm just catching up on threads here and wanted to let you know I appreciate your taking the time to detail about your recovery. The pain and meds and the blues. You do sound like you are doing so well! concidering only two weeks and going around up and down stairs. Wow!
I remember your first post and you were scared and you have come far now.
Let your little ones be helpers after school - kids really can help and can learn to like doing it, although I know sometimes it is uphill.
Glad you have no bruising and swelling that is encouraging too.
Hang in there!
 
My son wishes we were getting our dose of that in STL - no snowdays yet. Had possibility it could be slick this. Morning but was ok by time to go. Tonight/tomorrow morning possibility of freezing rain. The best thing about snowdays now compared to a few years ago? I don't have to scramble to find someone to stay with him (and I don't have to try to get him out of bed).
 
Where we live draws teachers from far away- long drive times. Schools all around us called school off early last night. Many were talking on FB last night that they would just have to bring their kids to school! Snow days are great for kiddos and teachers but not so much parents like you! Just glad I am no longer teaching and all I have to do is work on healing.
 
@Mascaramom - I am sooooo glad to read that you are doing well. It makes me that much more hopeful that I can manage...oh, my attire to live in post op-
[Bonesmart.org] Made it... my random thoughts
 
I've never heard of the lateral approach before. That scar might be easier to hide under a bathing suit
Lol, yup. I already treated myself to a brand new pair of swim bottoms with a cute little skirt attached lol. I already have a pair of shorts that I used when I went canoeing that 1 time lol that will never happen again.

it always feels a bit better afterwards.
Yes.. Felt so good that I cried a few more times yesterday lol lol OK yesterday was rough....


I am sooooo glad to read that you are doing well. It makes me that much more hopeful that I can manage...oh, my attire to live in post op
That is PERFECT! LOL
And I'm glad you find my recovery so far to be comforting. I hope I continue to be a source of Encouragement for you and everyone else who hasn't gotten to this side yet. Just thinking about the anxiety that I had in my days and weeks pre op still brings a tear to my eye.


WOW Have I been emotional the last couple of days. Not sure if that's my usual hormonal cycle lol guess I will have to check the calendar, or if it's just all catching up to me. I continue to be humbled by the amount of help I am receiving from my 2 dearest friends. I am not one to ask for help much, ok ever.. much to my detriment, and when it comes to running the house, family, etc... I've never had The opportunity to send the kids to grammas for the weekend, or have a date night with hubs while your best friend's baby sit. Probably because I never asked. I'm stubborn that way. But now that I had to ask, and they more than willingly have gone above and beyond anything I ever expected is just humbling. It's also very difficult for me to let go of the Responsibilities. My tenacity and determination begins to kick in and that's when I reapply for membership to the "over did it club"

I had physical therapy yesterday and I'm starting to have some aches on the other hip. At this point I'm assuming it's just from the exercise that I haven't done in so long. I only had to take 2 pain pills yesterday, one in the mid afternoon, and 1 before bed.
THAT was encouraging...

It is still extremely painful getting in-and-out of the car, so I have made arrangements with my friends to split the taxi driving with me. Both of my kids attend 2 different schools with 2 different drop off and pick up times, (as well as their after school activities) and
So, the 2 trips I do make the administration at the school has agreed to come out to the car to collect my youngest so that I don't have to get out and walk her in at 9am , the same for pick up at noon.

I've started preparing or at least deciding what I am going to make for dinner the night before, because I have to have it finished so early ( 3Pm) for my husband to leave for work I know I will not have the energy for that in the middle of the day.

This morning I threw something in the crock pot before I dropped my little one off at school knowing when I got home, I would have 3 hours to rest before I had to go and pick her up again instead of having to worry about making dinner.
That is a trend I hope to keep up even after I am feeling much better. Meal planning is something I was never able to fully accomplish. I will say having the grocery delivery service seems to be making that easier as I can make sure I have all ingredients on hand at the touch of a button.

Today I'm researching PT locations. I begin outpatient therapy next week not exactly sure how I'm going to fit that in lol
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom