TKR Made it June 11th'ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember to eat something when you take pain meds. I had them bring me packets of peanut butter and grahmn crackers when in hospital and I ate something every time I took a pain med.
 
I was discharged this afternoon and glad to be home!!! Still challenges at the hospital and no PT set up so I need to follow up. Hope all the June 11th'ers are doing great


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hopefully now that you're home, your pain will be managed adequately and you will have a never-ending supply of ice! Hang in there!
 
Did you use an elevation pillow. My knee is so tight but a couple pillows isn't helping


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So tired Hgb 13.5 to 8 at discharge are any of you taking Iron?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JanetK I was "anemic" while in the hospital and was given iron tablets, which continued when I was in in-patient rehab. Since they didn't seem to be working, they gave me two IV iron and two shots of Procrit which is supposed to stimulate your bone marrow to make more red blood cells. They then gave me a 30 day prescription (3 per day) to take when I got home. Hgb was at 8.2 at time of discharge and RBC at 2.78.

I had to see my hematologist/oncologist at about 10 weeks post op and he just shook his head. I told him about the anemia and what was given me. He told me anemia is common after major surgery like this and the anemia typically resolves on its own. He got my blood test results from the hospital and they did not even check the iron levels either before giving me iron nor after I started taking it. On May 28 when my blood was next tested both were well within the normal range.
 
Thank you so much


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am slightly anemic---and my doc just told me to take a one a day vitamin with iron for a month or two. I am amazed at how quick they were to infuse iron---that is really expensive . . .oh, well now I don't wonder why they did it.
 
The day after surgery my dr came in and told me I was anemic but said that was normal after this kind of surgery. He said it would resolve itself, which it did. He was more concerned about my low potassium levels and I ended up having to take a daily potassium supement while in the hospital.
 
Thanks for the insight


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had home therapy today and a shower then I thought I could sleep all afternoon


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Post op day five doing well physical therapy is helpful but I am so tired am I supposed to be more active I took a shower and feel like I could sleep a week now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are supposed to be tired! Your body heals best when you sleep. I am at 4 weeks and just now feeling perky enough to do something other than hold down the chair. Allow your body to rest.
 
Yes, you're tired….it's your body's way of telling you not to do too much. You don't have many times in your life where it's ok for you to just lay around and take it easy. Take advantage of it!
 
Totally normal. Taking my shower in the morning is an "event." It's kind of like having a PT session.
 
Well not only was I tired and up to the bathroom a lot I am positive for a bacterial infection called CDIff antibiotics should help but iam resting even more now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One and a half weeks out and just having a bad day cried all the time even pain seems tolerable life is so different right now I don't think I get enough rest and need a better schedule I work on my PT but so lightheaded and am hoping for a better day tomorrow and a balance of recovery and normal life


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's ok to take a rest day from pt exercises if you need to. The off days will get less and less as you heal. I hope you sleep well tonight.
 
Well not only was I tired and up to the bathroom a lot I am positive for a bacterial infection called CDIff antibiotics should help but iam resting even more now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
I believe @RestAssured knows something about this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom