THR Lynne54's Recovery Thread

It does sound like soft tissue issues, your gait has changed, for the better but it does affect your entire body.
The tennis ball lump actually sounds like a tight muscle or a small bit of swelling over a smaller tight muscle.

Early days, my friend. It's always a worry when we feel something/anything that doesn't seem right. But usually it's all part of a long recovery.
 
Hi Lynne….I feel like I’m sitting on a brick back there! I don’t know what causes it but I remember the exact same feeling with my first replacement, so it must be normal and it will go away. I asked my PT but his answer made no sense, something about a bone, but it feels muscle or tissue related to me. But it is an odd feeling..
 
It feels like I have a golf ball inside my hip at the rear, and is noticeable when I sit down or lie down. The stinging sensation on the outer side of my hip feels similar to, or is bursitiis. I have to admit to having increased activity, and when indoors I am probably carrying in pretty much as normal. I have been out a couple of times this week shopping, and I suspect I have been doing too much too soon. I am using ice but no longer elevate, so I will start that again. Getting in and out if my car is s bit of a struggle, so that may be a contributory factor.

I am hoping it is muscle related, fingers crossed. I think if my hip replacement had slipped in any way I would be in a lot more pain.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.
 
I think getting in and out of the car is sure to contribute, it is a new movement for your muscles to adjust to. It’s great to get out of the house though. I guess elevation and ice on return would be a good idea.

I had intermittent stinging feelings, I think it can come from the nerves in the skin waking up and re-knitting. With Hip 1, I had a lump that felt like an apricot under the skin on the outside of the thigh. I first noticed it at about 5 weeks, it got worse for a while then gradually went away. My OS who I saw me at 6 weeks said all sorts of swelling were to be expected as part of the healing process, and mine was only noticeable because I had skinny thighs! (I wish!).

So I suspect you can blame your issues on your shapely legs and a touch of ODIC.
 
Pain in the butt happened with both of my THR's, it does go away eventually. Sitting especially in certain cars was really tough.
If your hip had "slipped" you wouldn't be typing on a computer. Most say it hurts enough to pass out or not even be able to speak or breathe.
 
If you dislocated your implant you'd be calling 911. My son is a emergency room nurse and has had a couple of these experiences. You would need lots of pain meds for sure.
I'm 12 weeks post op and I get that stinging feeling as well but most times it's because I overdid it. As I type I have ice pack in my pants.
My gait has greatly improved as well as my asymmetry.
Been trying to really walk properly, heel/toe and space my steps appropriately.
It's a crazy recovery and thought I'd be further along than I am but then I look back on things I couldn't do several weeks ago and now I can do them so it's a slow process but a process nonetheless.
I try to relax and just go with the flow, the hip runs the show! Easier said than done.
Hope you feel better and all goes smoothly.
Best wishes.
 
Hi Lynne, I was much like you at 6 weeks which prompted me to ask at my 6 week checkup why I'm still getting stabbing pains, and discomforts of varying kinds. I was told everything is fine and normal and that I'd given permission to the surgeon to bash me up! I can relate to the necessity to do things around the house when you live alone as there is no one else to do things and is so easy to overdo it. It is great to feel independent again though but caution is still required.
Good luck with your checkup next week.
 
I had an appointment with my surgeon last night. Apparently the "golf ball" type lump in my right side is tissue/muscle and will disappear gradually. I have to adhere to the 90 degree rule for approx 5/6 months, and continue with at least one crutch when out walking. I am fine in and around the house, but anything more than that I need a crutch, especially towards the end of the day when I am tired.

Sleeping is still a problem for me but I can now start sleeping in my side if it feels okay, with a pillow between my knees. It can only get better.
 
Apparently the "golf ball" type lump in my right side is tissue/muscle and will disappear gradually
Yes, it does, I can attest to that.

At not even two months post op, it is still early into your recovery. With patience you’ll see results. You’ll feel stronger and steadier on your feet with each passing month. You’ll get there, Lynne. Thanks for the update and a Happy Wednesday to you!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great week and begin sleeping better overnight.
Take good care and stay in touch. :)
@Lynne54
 
:wave:@Lynne54
My time on the forum has been somewhat limited there last weeks (working double time) but it was so good to read your updates and see improvements.
It took Quite Some Time for me to get comfortable for a good night's rest.:sigh:
Glad all is coming along...
Hope your day is Sweet.:flwrysmile:
 
I hope everyone is recovering well. I thought I would post an update. I have been a bit too busy just lately with retail therapy etc and my hip is therefore complaining big time today. I cannot lie on my operated side now, which I could previously could do Equipment that was loaned to me by the NHS will be collected today - a perching stool and a two tier trolley/walker, both of which were very helpful. I wouldn't have been without them. They proved invaluable.

I have retained use of the high back chair with arms. I have tried on a few occasions to sit on my sofa/armchair but they still feel too low and may have contributed to my having back pain too. My surgeon advised to adhere to hip precautions for another 3 months, including the 90 degree rule and pillow between knees, so I had best do as I am told.

It has been a long journey and difficult at times, but I am so glad I had my hip replaced.

Best wishes to everyone. ☺️
 
Thanks for updating, Lynne. I’m sorry you’re dealing with the repercussions of too much retail therapy. I’m sure with rest and ice you’ll be back to where you were soon. Thankfully you’re happy with your THR. Take good care and enjoy the rest of the week!
@Lynne54
 
My three month anniversary will be on Wednesday, and I start back at work on a phased return.

An area of my upper thigh, adjacent to the scar, still feels numb to touch. There is no feeling there at all. The surgeon did mention I might experience this so I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and did it go over time?
 
An area of my upper thigh, adjacent to the scar, still feels numb to touch.
Yes, that is quite normal. Remember, all that pushing and pulling, sawing and hammering that the surgeon does causes trauma to the soft tissue and nerves -- not just the bones. It takes time for the nerves to regenerate.

My numb area lasted for a long time post my THR -- probably six months, if not longer. It did seem to get smaller and smaller over time and then, one day, I just didn't notice it anymore.
Happy (early) 3-month Hip-versary, @Lynne54. :loveshwr:
 
Yes, I had numbness around the incision. It's a funny thing, the feeling returned and I just noticed one day that it was back but who knows when it happened!
I hope you are still doing well. Your updates have been reflecting some positive improvements. :chuckmarch:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom