Guest viewing is limited

THR Lynne54's Recovery Thread

The skin close to my scar is still very slightly numb on my left leg after 3 and a half years. But it isn’t a problem at all. I only know when I test for it. The newer hip has more definite numbness, which is still improving. Again I don’t consider it a problem, if it didn’t improve any further I wouldn’t mind.

I was glad to read your statement from a couple f weeks ago that you are glad you had your hip replacement. It’s great when we get to that point of knowing it was the right thing, whatever struggles there may have been along the way.

Good luck with your return to work!
 
Hi Timo50, yes I have swelling too. I haven't tried doing up shoes etc as I was advised to hang fire for another three months. I can sleep on my side now, but like you I have got used to sleeping on my back. Glad to hear you are doing well. ☺️
 
The skin close to my scar is still very slightly numb on my left leg after 3 and a half years. But it isn’t a problem at all. I only know when I test for it.
I don’t recall if I shared this with you, Klassy, but, Josephine, the Nurse Emeritus once mentioned it took five years before the numbness was completely gone after her knee replacement.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lynne!
I hope you’re having a good week and enjoying some nice weather. We’re pretty hot in my area, but I guess it’s better than frigid cold and snow. :snow plough:
Have a great Thursday and weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Lynne54
 
Thanks @Layla. It has been pretty hot here too. I am back at work on a phased return, but am finding it difficult sitting at a desk. The first couple of hours are okay, but from then on my hip is quite painful. Hopefully with time it will improve. I guess it is still early days.
 
Hi Lynne
I find sitting for long periods very uncomfortable and I need to get up and walk around. My best positions are standing, walking or laying down!
Still have numbness in hip now and then.
I have two toes on my left foot that still are numb 3 years after ankle surgery. As long as I'm up and doing something my toes are fine but as soon as I sit and take shoes off toes are numb. I wear a compression sock at times on my foot and it really helps with the numbness.
Good luck back at work, take care.
 
The first couple of hours are okay, but from then on my hip is quite painful.
I couldn’t sit for long periods either, especially in firm chairs and confined spaces. Hopefully you can get up and walk around a bit to stretch and get the blood flowing. Is there a way you can bring a frozen gel pack, or two, and store them in a community fridge at work, or a small cooler desk side? It may be an option that brings you some relief over the next several weeks. Thanks for updating, Lynne, stay in touch.
I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend!
 
@Lynne54 It’s good to know that you are still improving. I know that having difficulty sitting now that you’re working again is a real problem. I like the suggestion by @Layla to use frozen gel packs while you are at work. I hope it is possible for you to do so.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you’re doing, Lynne and how work is going for you?
Hopefully you’re settling in and feeling more comfortable there.
Enjoy the rest of Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Lynne54
 
Thank you @Layla. I had my first physio appointment in Friday which was a bit disappointing. I was told by my surgeon to adhere to the 90 degree rule for six months and told the physio that. First I get told to bend over and try to touch my toes. Answer: no. Second to lie on bed and pull knees into my chest as much as possible. Answer: no. End result is that I have been offered the chance to attend three classes, but it is not possible to attend due to time)location. I was then discharged. I will have a look on line and see what exercises i can find.
Hip is playing up but it is exacerbated by work. I am still glad that I had the surgery - things continue to improve slowly.
 
Lynne, has sitting at work improved at all for you? You mentioned in an earlier post that the first couple of hours are okay, then it gets painful. I wondering if you’re able to get up to stretch and take a short walk every hour…or two?

Maybe you don’t need Physio, but just more time to heal. If you’re able to get any type of regular walking in for exercise aside from the normal activities of daily living, you should continue to notice improvement with more time. I’m glad you said “No” to the movement your Physio tried to put you through.
Hip is playing up but it is exacerbated by work. I am still glad that I had the surgery - things continue to improve slowly.
If you’re not already, consider ice and elevation for the swelling at night while lounging around. Thanks for the update. Stay in touch! :)
 
Hip seems to be fine now and only occasionally plays up a little, and it's not very comfortable laying on the replacement hip side.

I am now awaiting my next surgery which is left hand trapeziectomy, carpal tunnel and trigger fingers scheduled for 29th November. I had the same surgery on my right hand in March 2021.
 
@Lynne54 I'm glad your hip has settled. Even now, my hip will also occasionally remind me that it was picked on and the same with laying on that side. It's a small price to pay for the reward of getting back my life.

Best wishes on your hand surgery. I'm sure you're looking forward to getting relief there as well. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom