Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR Recovery!!

Does anyone else itch like the mad itch??? I am itching mainly at night. It’s so worrisome. I’m gathering it is the oxycodone. It doesn’t bother me so much during th day but at night I itch all over.
 
I had the oxy itches as well @Emelbee21. My OS recommended Benadryl which helped, but you should check with your OS or GP before taking it to be safe.
 
I’ve removed staples and you take your time. Everything is still so sore. No reason you can’t take a brake. So sorry you went through that:bignono:.

I also have the zip closure dressing and it so nice to know it is easy to remove. I get mine removed on the 8th. I had staples last time so this type of dressing is such an improvement. Took a shower yesterday and don’t have to keep doing dressing changes like last time either. My neighbor had it and her scar is so thin and straight. I was impressed.
 
Update :) :-) (: I am doing well yay!! Going into week 5 post op. Still doing PT 2x per week. ROM is at a 106 (last Thursday) and I keep getting better! I have to have my right knee replaced and I want to go ahead and get it done as soon as possible, as it’s a little awkward walking since my left knee is totally straight and my right knee is still bowed and there is a difference in length. Just curious how long people wait in between and if it’s better to wait longer than 12 weeks or so?? I feel like I’m ready. Sorta. And my wound is still healing from the staple removal and my skin is so flaky and dry, when is a good time to start putting lotion on that skin??I feel like dry bones. Lol.
 
I had my 2nd knee done 9 weeks after my first. Glad they‘re both done, but recovery is a little tedious because I feel like it never stopped from the first knee!
 
Hi
probably best to get them both over and done with best wishes with your recovery this site is wonderful
 
I had my LTKR in February, I think I will have the R done in January of 2022...I just can't even think about doing it again until then.
I feel like the L is coming along slowly, very stiff, swollen at times and sore. The R is still doable for now...
Good luck on whatever you decide!!
 
I think I’d depends. Sounds like your other knee will help you walk better so you probably would want to get it done when your sufficiently healed with this one so it improves your walk. I waited 8 years because this knee I just got replaced didn’t really effect my quality of life till 2020. Even though bone on bone I didn’t have pain except when the Bakers Cyst would fill up but that probably only happened about 5X. The weird part of that is after this surgery my OS said your knee was really bad. So weird!
 
Oh, I’m so sorry Emelbee! That’s awful and it sounds so unnecessary! I heartily agree you should give your doctor a note of complaint about that nurses’ technique or care level. (I’m known to argue for kindness and compassion in medicine!)

I am very fortunate, and it sounds like Skibikehikedude and I have similar experiences. My incision is internal stitches, with small steri-strips on the skin’s surface, then a honeycomb foam mesh covering, with a thin elastic clear sheet (like food-wrap?) on the surface. It is all designed to deconstruct as one heals, breaking down from the outside-in over the next two weeks. I can send a photo, if desired... it’s kinda cool! And is hiding the gritty details enough to show most curious lookers, even elementary-age students or easily-grossed out adults!
 
6 week update:
My left knee is still on the mend and doing well. My surgeon is pleased with my progress and I am driving again! Yay! I am also going back to work tomorrow! My surgeon did go ahead and schedule my right knee during my 6 week check up on Friday!! It is scheduled for June 29. I am happy to be getting it done sooner than later. I hope it goes as well as this one has. I feel a little bit of nerves lol. :)
I am still having trouble sleeping some nights I am hoping that gets better. My knee just gets so restless and achy and keeps me awake.
 
Emelbee, I’m still having trouble sleeping too! I’m supposed to be having an adjustable bed frame delivered today and am hoping that will allow me to sleep in my bed instead of the recliner! I think it just takes a while..
prayers for June 29th! You’ll do great!
 
Update:
Has anyone had a small pocket of swelling just below the knee on the inner side? Wondering what could be causing it. Concerned a bit.
I used to get it before my surgery but it started swelling again recently.
I’m almost 11 weeks out LTKR and scheduled for RTKR on the 29th. I had such good progress and now I feel like I am going backwards. :sad:
 
@Emelbee21
I am a couple of days shy of 8 weeks post op on LTKR. I have that swelling. It’s on the right side of the incision, below the knee. It isn’t tender or painful, just puffy. It doesn’t hold an indent if I push on it with my finger. Since it doesn’t hurt, I haven’t given it much thought. I have PT on Tuesday. Now I will ask!

Best of luck to you on your June 29th surgery.
 
@doxiemom2017 Thank you!! Yes it’s just a puffy pocket. It’s odd. And your right it’s not like edema. I am scheduled for pre-op on Friday for my right knee and I’m gonna ask the doctor then. It’s weird.
 
Does anyone else itch like the mad itch??? I am itching mainly at night. It’s so worrisome. I’m gathering it is the oxycodone. It doesn’t bother me so much during the day but at night I itch all over.
Don't forget to mentoin this to your surgeon before your next surgery. It may be possible to give you an alternative pain reliever, or to prescribe something to combat the itching.


Has anyone had a small pocket of swelling just below the knee on the inner side? Wondering what could be causing it. Concerned a bit.
I used to get it before my surgery but it started swelling again recently.
I’m almost 11 weeks out LTKR and scheduled for RTKR on the 29th. I had such good progress and now I feel like I am going backwards.
It could be that you have an enlarged knee bursa. This does happen from time to time and it isn't anything to worry about.
Baker's cysts and other knee bursae
Icing it may help.

Certainly you're not really going backwards in a significant way. Remember that recovery is often a series of two steps forward and one step back.
 
Does anyone else itch like the mad itch??? I am itching mainly at night. It’s so worrisome. I’m gathering it is the oxycodone. It doesn’t bother me so much during the day but at night I itch all over.
Don't forget to mentoin this to your surgeon before your next surgery. It may be possible to give you an alternative pain reliever, or to prescribe something to combat the itching.


Has anyone had a small pocket of swelling just below the knee on the inner side? Wondering what could be causing it. Concerned a bit.
I used to get it before my surgery but it started swelling again recently.
I’m almost 11 weeks out LTKR and scheduled for RTKR on the 29th. I had such good progress and now I feel like I am going backwards.
It could be that you have an enlarged knee bursa. This does happen from time to time and it isn't anything to worry about.
Baker's cysts and other knee bursae
Icing it may help.

Certainly you're not really going backwards in a significant way. Remember that recovery is often a series of two steps forward and one step back.

Thanks so much! I wondered if it was the bursa.
 
So I have a question… for those of you that have had both knees replaced at different times, what was the difference if any? how long did you wait in between surgeries? Just wondering, I’m feeling a little nerves trying to creep up.
 
Hi @Emelbee21

I waited 8 months between replacements. For me, and this is just my opinion, I’m glad I waited long enough for the first knee to regain some strength and stability as it’s what I’m relying on right now to get through Knee #2.

I am in awe of folks who do BTKR or just wait a few months between knees. I see that you are scheduled for late June, so you will have waited almost 3 months. If I recall it’s at about the 3-4 month mark where you start to feel more normal. I’m only at Week 5 and can’t wait to get over the hump of early recovery!

I would take an inventory of how you’re feeling, physically and emotionally, and decide if you will be ready by late June.

Take care and best of luck to you!!
 
First knee, end of January, 2nd knee end of March - 8 weeks. I am glad I didn’t wait. Now they are both over and done and I can concentrate on healing. I didn’t find it that difficult. Maybe a bit more tiredness after having 2 major surgeries, but I surely don’t regret it. I figure I’m not getting any younger and might as well strike while the iron is hot and when I am still healthy.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom