Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR Recovery!!

I agree with the others - I'm at almost 7 weeks from TKR and I'm just wiped out in the evenings. I'm back to work full-time working mainly from home. Even though I'm just sitting all day, I'm really exhausted by 5pm. I have also gone into the office on a few occasions and by mid-afternoon I feel like I'm going to fall asleep sitting there at my desk.

Then of course I can't fall asleep when I do head to bed....
 
Has anyone experienced any heel and foot pain after TKR? Ugh. It’s like a soreness. Other than that I am doing ok. My knee is getting better but I still have pain and swelling mainly above the knee and it’s stiff. Taking it easy, icing and resting. Happy 4th everyone!!
 
some ankle ache and hip pain too. could be adjusting to new gait or maybe just from all the handling during surgery itself, I would guess.

tightness and swelling yes. happy 4th to you too Emelbee21
 
I hope you are doing ok Emelbee! You are very brave!! I couldn't imagine getting my second knee done yet. Luckily it shouldn't need it for a few years.

I'm thinking about you and wishing a speedy and relatively pain free recovery!
 
2 week update: I had my staples removed today and it was absolutely nothing like last time. The nurse was gentle and while it wasn’t pleasant, she made it as comfortable as possible and I didn’t shed a tear!! Thank you Father God for watching over me!! My right knee looks great! I’m healing as I should and so thankful both of these surgeries are behind me!! :) :-) (:
 
I’m having some moderate pain today as I have I had for the the last 2 days. My knee is hurting and sore. I went to physical therapy this morning and my therapist told me I was more than likely doing too much too soon. She told me I shouldn’t be driving and I need to rest, ice, and elevate. I feel bad because it’s my own fault thinking I can do normal things when in fact it’s just making my new knee angry. I just hope I haven’t messed up my recovery. I have to slow down and stop thinking I’m healed when I’m not. :sorry:
 
I just hope I haven’t messed up my recovery.
No, you haven’t messed up your recovery, it’s way too early for that to happen. :console2:

Try to take things more slowly. Don’t feel like you’re not doing enough, think of it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. It’s all temporary, anyway, as you heal you’ll be able to do more.
 
Agree with Jockette! I’m sure you haven’t messed up your recovery - maybe set it back a few days, but you learned a valuable lesson. Sounds like you have a sensible therapist, too, so a reason to be thankful. Now sit back, relax and rest :)
 
She told me I shouldn’t be driving and I need to rest, ice, and elevate. I feel bad because it’s my own fault thinking I can do normal things when in fact it’s just making my new knee angry. I just hope I haven’t messed up my recovery. I have to slow down and stop thinking I’m healed when I’m not. :sorry:

I can't believe you can drive already even if you are not supposed to! I had a PKR a few days after your full and I can barely get in a car let alone think about driving.

So that tells me that you are progressing very fast and on the right track, keep up the good work!

Maybe since I had basically zero pain before surgery unless I did running and jumping I am a bit more delicate natured when it comes to post op knee pain.
 
Agree beesknee! I wasn’t given the all clear to drive for 6 weeks, especially on the right knee. I was just about ready at 6-7 weeks - then I was into the left replacement and back on passenger status! Driving now without difficulty.
 
@beesknee @Sisterpat- I was bad this go around. I waited till 5 weeks for my left knee and this time drove at 2 weeks. I shouldn’t have. It does ache when I drive, and since she told me that I have decided to back away from the driving for a bit and rest and stop thinking I am normal. I have progressed with ROM I am 2 weeks ahead of where I am supposed to be. I am ranging 107-110. But my flexion is not that great. I’m hovering around an 8 and that needs to be a zero. Doc says because my muscles are very weak and my leg was bent for so long, and over time it will get better. So I am back to taking it easy. I just don’t want to mess up my new knee.
 
I have progressed with ROM I am 2 weeks ahead of where I am supposed to be.

We all heal at different rates and there is no number, at any week, that we are supposed to be. You are doing well and where you are for you.
I am ranging 107-110. But my flexion is not that great. I’m hovering around an 8 and that needs to be a zero.
Actually you have that backwards. :flwrysmile:
Flexion is your bend, the straightness of your leg is called extension, and you want to aim for zero. Together they are called ROM (Range of Motion) You’ll get there, in time, your own body’s time, with gentle stretching. Please don’t worry about it, you are in very early days of this year long recovery.
 
@Jockette Thanks I get them confused. My doctor and physical therapist both said they like for patients to be @ 90 around 2 weeks. So they both said I was way ahead of the that for now. It’s the straightening that mine is around an 8 and they said it should get better with time.
 
@Jockette Thanks I get them confused. My doctor and physical therapist both said they like for patients to be @ 90 around 2 weeks.
:rotfl: If only! Many people (including me) can take 4-6 weeks to get to 90 degrees bend. It's great if you can, but much depends on how much swelling you have. My bend increased as my swelling came down.
 
The past few days have been rough for me. I cry and cry and I feel disheartened. I pray and pray and for God to help me get out of this depressive state. I have always had problems with anxiety and I take medication for it and I see a therapist. I just don’t think I have ever felt this depressed. In April when I had my first surgery and was recovering, I remember having emotional days and they eventually passed. This seems different. I cry over things I normally would not and have no energy. Last night it was after 3 before I finally fell asleep. Has anyone else felt a darkness of despair, or deep depression after surgery?
 
Yes, there is a whole community of members who have had to deal with depression and post op blues. There is even a thread here to discuss your feelings with our members. All a part of recovery from this major surgery I am afraid.

If you already take medication for anxiety you might want to talk to the prescriber about tweaking the dose temporarily. Low energy and lack of sleep can really hit you.

I hope this eases soon! Meanwhile do come here to post. There is always someone around to share those long nights.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom