Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking Vicodin 4 times per day, flexeril 2-3 times per day (was 10 mg, now 5). My feet are elevated any time I am sitting down, which is most of the time. I have been icing every few hours, maybe a little less in past few days. Activity level is that required to care for myself and feed/let in and out my dog. But I do have a lot of stairs in my house. Severely overdid on Monday as the friend who had been staying with me since surgery was leaving next day. Went to PT, grocery store, and active whole day. Rested Tuesday and Wednesday as I was wiped out. Have pt scheduled today. OS prescribed pt 3 times per week. Big production to get ready and get to pt. Frustrated because everything takes so long to do and leg hurts. Seems like recovery is going slowly.

I will get back to icing more. Thank you for the reminder.
 
Dear Elizak,

I know it is so frustrating at this stage. The speed at which we exhaust is frustrating, the pain, the slow movement. But keep heart ... another week or so of good rest, ice, and elevation and you will suddenly find that you are moving about with far less pain. You will reach the day when the pain you have now is so much less than the pain you had before surgery that you will truly be "on the other side." Give yourself time to heal. You are doing great.
 
Re: Has anyone used massage after THR

When my hip was replaced, surgeon also lengthened my leg as it was about an inch shorter from my fracture. This has caused very tight painful muscles in my leg, including my calf. Everything else feels kind of out of whack as well. I contacted medical massage provider and they feel that they can help. Any thoughts or experiences ?

Hi Elizak,

I also had length added to my leg with my THR surgery. I have found massage helpful and chiropractic care as well -- but I'd suggest that you wait until you are a bit more healed from your surgery first. I agree with what Jo is telling you a few posts up....

Take care,
Cardie
 
Elizak, can I suggest something? You seem to keep up the activity after you have clearly done a bit too much. Recovery is all about finding the limits, stopping and resting if you have done too much, and trying again.

Please rest until the discomfort decreases. Take the meds and try again. Yes cabin fever can be difficult but remember this is only a few weeks for a lifetime of living!
 
Hi Elizak,

Know what you mean about swinging that L leg into the car. It does get better with time, I still lift on my pant leg each time...

I believe massage is so helpful, but Jo is right about waiting...I had my first after my R hip about 12 weeks out and haven't been yet after my L (am almost 21 weeks out) because I had some nerve issues but plan on going soon even if she just focuses on my sore shoulders!

You are right to start trusting the new hip. I now have an awesome PT and she helps me take things slow and trust is starting to come.

It all takes time and patience. Don't ever feel bad about ranting, that's what the forum is for, we take it all, the good, the bad and the ugly:th_heehee:

All the best to you.
 
Elizak.....how are things going today? I'm just checking up on you. I hope you have been able to slow down your activity level a bit. You are still early in your recovery and PT, running errands, doing stairs at home....it all may be a little too much for you right now.
 
Hi,
Sorry it's been a week since I last posted. I took everyone's very good advice and slowed everything down. Rested and was ready for PT Monday, after cancelling for the Wednesday and Friday of prior week because I was too sore and tired. Pt has been great. Really helping my groin pain (adductor muscles) but now I have rectus femoris pain (thigh) while the groin and inner leg have calmed down a bit. Still can't do straight leg raise. Feels as if I overdid it again this week, very tired yesterday after PT and today. I have been napping and snacking. Grounded myself to the house.
Thank you so very much for the advice and concern.
I will write more tomorrow. Right now I am sleepy....
 
Day 27
Pain in thigh is driving me crazy ! It is about 1-2 inches above kneecap. Feels as if there is a knot of muscle. Hurts when I walk or bend leg. Started walking without cane on Wednesday in house and it seemed to start then. I am trying to use the cane again more because of thigh pain, but i have a tendency to misplace cane and then have to climb stairs to find it !

I have tried cold and warm compresses, neither seems to help much.

Otherwise all is going well. Groin pain has really decreased. Getting in and out of car and bed much easier. Slept basically from Friday after PT until this early AM. Trying to accomplish a few necessary chores. 2 loads of laundry as I have no clean shorts and t-shirts to wear, and dishes, as they are all dirty.
Week number 5 starts tomorrow !! Four weeks to the day of surgery. PT at noon.

I have spent the times that I have been awake reviewing posts in this forum. Deepest thanks go out to all for the information and advice here. True lifesaver.
 
Started walking without cane on Wednesday in house and it seemed to start then. I am trying to use the cane again more because of thigh pain, but i have a tendency to misplace cane and then have to climb stairs to find it!

You have answered your own question Elizak. Use that cane until things settle again and then try it again. But you must build up very slowly. It is still very early days for you. Slow and steady.

Are you still taking any pain meds. As you get more mobile you will need to maintain control of that pain. Just short period of pain meds for a life time of no pain.
 
Thank you Jaycey.
I am finding that I am not as patient as I thought I would be. I keep trying to find a shortcut to recovery, but slow and steady is the real answer that I have learned from all of the experience that bone smarties have so generously shared here.
I am taking Vicodin in morning and evening, flexeril 2x per day. Surgeon does not want me to take any NSAIDS as he feels that they may inhibit bone growth, which is pretty important as I am uncemented with bone graft in acetabulum. I am going to call his office tomorrow to see what other choices I have for pain control. Perhaps tramadol would work better. Vicodin does not seem to be doing much. Perhaps I have developed a tolerance. I feel somehow that I should not be in pain and should not need pain meds.

The thigh knot is more of an irritant than anything. Especially compared to pain in first week. I limped pretty severely and ended up sort of hunched over during the 6 years between my fall and surgery, so I am certain that I did not bend my knee much while walking, which is probably why it is sore and seizing up as I am walking more normally.

I can stand up straight now which feels pretty amazing. Am trying to count my blessings which are many.

Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me.
 
Just wanted to say Hi Elizak and to sympathise with your knee issues. I have learnt that this is quite normal, as are allthe other aches and pains. My knee still feels stiff and tight after sleeping and moving around but I am hoping this will ease with time.

It's fab that you are standingup straight now, that must make a huge difference to you. It's worth asking your doc about tramadol, trial and error will finally get you the correct pain relief, hopefully that will do the trick.

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Eliza,

Just reading thru your thread again and it seems like you are still pretty early out from your surgery and may be doing a bit more than your body can tolerate happily just yet. I would guess that the quadratus femoris pains that you are experiencing are due to the lengthening/stretching that is occurring and maybe also a change in the angle of your entire leg from the surgery & new hardware. If you are already taking both pain medications and muscle relaxants and not getting relief then maybe a change in the amount of activity you are doing each day would help things settle down a bit.

I see that your OS has recommended PT for you 3 times a week, I had the same recommendation from my doc and chose to have it 2 times a week knowing it would be physically taxing and that I'd have my phase 2 exercises at home for the "off" days. I also did not start my PT for a few weeks later than I was originally released, just wanted to give my body time to continue to heal from the surgery before I took the next step.

I'll let @Josephine: comment on the medications, she's very helpful with that and will probably need to know what your dosages are before she'll remind you that you can take more...

It's normal to be eager to return to activity and exercise, especially after many years of pain and hobbling around. We encourage that eagerness and also encourage listening to your body's response to your increased level of activity.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie,
Thanks for your excellent advice. Sometimes I feel as if I am not doing my hip recovery "right" or working hard enough although I know rationally there is no such thing ! And at times I compare myself to others, which makes no sense as every one's situation is different.

I went to PT on Monday even though my thigh was hurting. I am glad that I went-I work with one therapist on an individual level so he was able to try some things to help with the muscle spasm. He did some ultrasound, massage, and rolling of the muscle with a foam roller. I also felt reassured when he agreed that it was the muscle and not something dire ! I did some leg presses and a short time on the recumbent bike. The bike seemed to help with the pain. He then suggested that I rest the muscle and skip today's session. I will see him again on Friday.

The thigh pain has let up and I am carefully doing just basic exercises that won't cause the muscle to flare up again. I live alone in a house with lots of stairs, so just taking care of myself and my dog provides a good bit of moving around. Feeling isolated has been a problem. Frustration as well, especially with the stairs, as I am still climbing them one at a time. The emotional aspects of recovery have been a surprise to me. A roller coaster at times.

I did get a prescription for tramadol and flexeril. Tramadol seems to be helping and I am back to normal soreness. I tend to take tramadol more regularly than Vicodin. Something about the feeling that Vicodin gives me creeps me out.

My mind often races ahead to the time when I will be able to put my hip into action. I have been dreaming of going snorkeling and walking in the sand on a beach vacation, but it will be some time until I am fit for travel and sports. I am thankful that my recovery has been uncomplicated and I am making progress, even though it seems slow to me sometimes.

Patience. Slow and steady wins the race ! The turtle and the hare ! One day at a time ! :biggrin:
 
Elizak, I had that same thought a month after my surgery. ...I'm doing so well....the pain is so dramatically decreased....I should taper off some more...and some more....and look at me! I only need a tylenol once during the day....aren't I wonderful!

Kerplunk!!! That's the sound of me returning to real life. Of course I was still in pain!! Of course I still needed consistent meds. Jo soundly chastized me for trying to be a martyr, and I backtracked to a level of pain meds that kept me truly comfortable. That meant two and a half months of tramadol and tylenol, and a whole summer of Celebrex beyond. But med-free for the last 8 months.

So be patient; it's worth it. You really will be bopping along like a new person in a very short time. Can't wait to hear about it. :)

Sharon
 
You have it EXACTLY right - slow and steady. Try something new and if you have any discomfort - stop, rest, ice and meds - then try again another day. I found one day an activity seemed totally impossible and then a week later - no problem! :yes 4: You are doing very well!
 
Eliza, sit down - you are about to get a scolding!
Sometimes I feel as if I am not doing my hip recovery "right" or working hard enough although I know rationally there is no such thing !
Dear lady, you are only 4 weeks out from VERY major surgery - you are working far too hard which is why you are getting all this pain and muscle issues. SLOW DOWN!!
I went to PT on Monday even though my thigh was hurting.
:DOH: :DOH:
I also felt reassured when he agreed that it was the muscle and not something dire !
'not something dire' when you are causing your muscles to be so inflamed? I would think again about that statement!
I did some leg presses and a short time on the recumbent bike. The bike seemed to help with the pain.
:DOH: :DOH:
He then suggested that I rest the muscle and skip today's session. I will see him again on Friday.
WHAT a sensible chap!
The thigh pain has let up and I am carefully doing just basic exercises that won't cause the muscle to flare up again.
I live alone in a house with lots of stairs. Frustration as well, especially with the stairs, as I am still climbing them one at a time.
considering all the stairs you have to cope with and your regular visits to PT, I would strongly suggest that you do NO exercises at home, basic or otherwise. Not for another 3-4 weeks, anyway. You have got to give your body time to heal and recover from that major surgery.

And you are supposed to be doing stairs one at a time right now. Has someone told you otherwise? It could be 8 weeks or even longer before you start doing them 'properly'.
I did get a prescription for Tramadol and Flexeril.
Flexeril is not an analgesic so please don't factor that in to your pain management. You could take Tylenol 1,000mgs with the Tramadol each time (up to 4 times a day, of course). That was my prescription when I had my knee done. And are you are taking two Tramadol or just one? I would be most surprised if your prescription didn't say "1-2 tablets 4-6hrly"(assuming they are not extended release capsules of course). Make use of this and maybe take 2 (100mgs) last thing at night or any other time the pain peaks. There were times I took three (150mgs) at my doctor's suggestion.
Patience. Slow and steady wins the race ! The turtle and the hare! One day at a time ! :biggrin:
NOW you're cooking! That's the only rule that counts - slowly! :th_heehee:
 
Well, can't say much after Jo, she said it all. I can add however that I know it is hard to want to jump ahead, compare to others, etc etc. slow and steady wins the race. A friend told me " you only get one chance to heal properly, why would you do it any other way. " You have your whole life ahead of you, in the scheme of things, this is a small amt of time you need to dedicate to yourself. Treat yourself as you would tell your best friend to treat themselves, think about it :) take care, hang in there and be good to yourself -Cathy
 
My mind often races ahead to the time when I will be able to put my hip into action. I have been dreaming of going snorkeling and walking in the sand on a beach vacation, but it will be some time until I am fit for travel and sports.

Hi Eliza,

Welll, there we go! Now that you are going to be doing a bit more resting around the house -- on one floor, that will give you more time for the planning of this fantastic sounding adventure!!! Have you got a friend that will go? Maybe they can come over and visit and talk about the plans some...

Any other folks that might be able to come over for a visit or some phone chatting that you could do that will help you feel more connected for a bit?

Aside from fewer trips up and down the stairs... don't worry about continuing to go one foot at a time, it helps you to go more slowly and carefully. Eventually, one day, you'll do it the alternating way and won't even realize it! It will be a while though, many of us have marveled at how long a while it took us -- but we all give big cheers when you report that new milestone!! :dancy:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thank you to everyone for your wonderful messages and advice. I am not sure how I would be making it through this recovery without this forum.

To update, I stopped using the cane this week. I actually feel more steady now without it. Keeping track of the cane was getting confusing. I just move slowly and carefully.

Aches and pains in muscles move around depending on my activity but are generally not severe and are alleviated with rest and pain meds.

Sleep is much more successful. I actually slept in (more than 8 hours) on Sunday! Unfortunately the guys who do the yard woke me up, but I was glad they were here-the yard was looking wild.

Had to take the dog to the vet for shots today. Adventure time as he gets very excited when he gets near the Petsmart where the vet is. He tugged at me a few times on the way in and scared me a bit. The employees then gave me a hand and very kindly took control of him. People are very nice !!

6 week checkup is Tuesday. I am feeling some nerves about this. Hoping that everything is where it should be! Also that restrictions are lifted.

Really looking forward to seeing x-ray. It does not seem quite real that I now have all this hardware.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom