Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Ok, the pain pump is out and the pain isn't awful yet. If I don't move my leg it's not too bad so far; walking is a bit tough with the pain, but I can stand it. Time will tell. After all I've gone through, not having staples is a bonus.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    no bandage or pain pump.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 272
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    no bandage.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 198
Comparing my non-bruised leg above with this picture of my leg 4 years ago after the original TKR. I also have very little visible swelling this time around, although I'm sure there's plenty of swelling inside my knee. My OS is amazing! (a different OS did the original surgery)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    bruising 2014.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 196
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    no bandage.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Yay! With the pain pump and it's catheter, etc, out I can easily get dressed again so am wearing clothes for the first time in 2 weeks, instead of nightgowns! Now, back to :ice::ice::ice::elevate::elevate::elevate:. It feels sooooo much better now that the thick bandages are gone. Time to kick back and rest...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........
 
@Twinmama Right now I'm :ice::ice::ice:and :elevate::elevate::elevate: and the pain has almost all gone away. This recovery has far exceeded my expectations and hopes for a smooth and low/no pain recovery. Granted, when I walk around now I do have some pain but it's been bearable so far. Quite a change, and a huge surprise, from Monday's experience.
 
I just caught up on your thread and am so happy to read you’re doing well. How wonderfully liberating to be free of the pump and bulky bandage! Sounds like this recovery is going a little more smoothly than the last. About time! :yes!:
 
Kim,
Happy to hear the unveiling of your knee has gone well. Just getting the staples out can make our knees feel better.
 
@Pumpkln I didn't have staples at all-he used glue and steri-strips. I asked him about it at my pre-op and he said he doesn't use staples any more, mostly because his patients don't like them.
 
@Txmomgmom3 I'm doing quite well today. Thanks! We have company from out of town, and I was able to sit at the table to eat lunch with them, whereas I've just been eating in bed with my tray since I got home. I did have a hard time sleeping last night though, as I couldn't find a comfortable position where my knee didn't ache, burn or hit me with zingers. It wasn't too bad, just enough to interrupt sound sleep. I guess I've been spoiled since the surgery as I've slept well at night since day one.
You're at two months tomorrow-how's your knee doing?
 
Oh that's good to hear!! Except for the sleeping part :bored: I'm happy your not in a lot of pain!

It's doing ok. Just the usual ache and zingers. Have a new pain on the outer left side but is probably from being up on it too much today . On a hapoy note i went up and down the stairs normally. .slow but normal lol. Thank you for asking :flwrysmile:
 
Well, it looks like tomorrow will be my first day at home alone. We have our oldest son and his wife here visiting for a week, and my husband, our daughter who lives nearby, her family and our son and his wife are all going to Lake Tahoe for the day. It'll be a good dry run for when hubby goes back to work sometime this week or next. I'm still using my walker, but I'll manage. I tried using my cane today, instead of the walker, but am not balanced enough to safely use it yet. But, I'm doing so well this time around that I can take care of myself now for the most part.
 
Good to hear everything is going well for you and you are coping pain wise. Not sleeping is hard as the nights seem to drag by. Hope you are feeling fine today.
 
You’ll do great on your own. I remember when Mr. Shoes went back to work and I was on my own for for the first time with a walker, a dog, and two new knees. I actually liked it! :scratch:
 
I had a pretty good night's sleep last night and feel pretty good today. My knee also had a really good night and didn't ache much. I was really tired due to the fun of all the people here visiting yesterday, and fell asleep quite early. I spent most of the afternoon and evening yesterday sitting on our sofa with my leg elevated so I could enjoy our children and grandchildren. The noise level was hard to handle, especially from the 2 year old, but overall it was a good day. Today will also be a good day (and a quiet one) and I am ready for a little alone time since I haven't had any in over two weeks. I have my cup holder and my carry bag on my walker so I can transport my drinks and frozen ice bottles for my ice machine.

While it's nice to visit with family, especially the ones I don't often get to see, it's also nice to have a little time to myself. I plan to spend most of my day in my nest with my new best friends; Mr. Ice Machine and Sir Lounge Doctor. And who knows, I may even take a couple of naps, which I rarely do as sleeping in the daytime just never worked for me unless I'm ill, which I usually am after major surgery. But this time around I've been remarkably clear headed and healthy, which is a miracle in itself. The down side to that, though, is the boredom. So it's nice to not only have visitors, but be able to enjoy them, whereas in the past I've stayed in bed during after surgery visits, and not really enjoyed the company. The only hard thing will be transporting my lunch to my nest so I may have to eat it at the table. Everybody decided on pizza for dinner last night, and I have enough of mine leftover for several days.....lol. But transporting a slice of Taco pizza while navigating my walker won't work and the pizza would likely land on the floor.:yikes:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom