Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

My first shower was my first morning home, 2 days after surgery. I have a small walk in shower, it was not the lovely one you had, I was shakey and felt like I’d been run over by a truck!
 
And it was a stand up shower, too! It was months before I relaxed in the shower, I was so afraid of falling!

But yay for clean!

And I’ve never been fond of tub baths!
 
Lovely fresh feeling. I had to use a bath board last time but when my OH saw the difficulties I was in he relented and the bath was replaced with a shower. Marvellous. So much better this time round. I can just walk in with my stick. Doesn't matter if it gets wet.
 
Just had my shower and was enjoying it when the water went cold.... Brr. The gas had ran out. Hubby had to go change the bottle over. At least I had finished washing. No fun rinsing off soap suds in cold water.
 
Grrrrrrrrrr....I really want to put my walker back in the garage and use my cane, but my knee just isn't ready yet. I know one of these times I try it will just all come together and work, but until then I'm stuck with the bulky walker which is difficult to maneuver around my house normally, but especially more so with visitors and their belongings around. I keep having to have shoes taken out to the garage instead of the floor as we don't wear shoes inside, but visitors seem to come in and take their shoes off inside instead of in the garage area we have set up for shoes. Plus, with visitors needing to prepare their own food this time around, my kitchen is quite busy so trying to get my tea or other beverages, etc, is more difficult.

Then there's the issue of the clutter in my kitchen. I always clean up right after I eat, whereas the other people here wait to clean up their messes, so my kitchen is messy a lot of the day. Luckily, my husband will go in and clean it because he knows how it frustrates me to try to use my kitchen when it's messy. But he's gone back to work part-time this week, and then full time after that, so yesterday I ended up doing it a couple of times. Yes-I know I shouldn't but if it's too messy for me to be able to make a sandwich, etc, I just won't eat. I know I did too much yesterday, and my knee agrees, but I did talk to my husband about all of it last night and he told me he'd take care of it. I'm really enjoying seeing my son, and he's wonderful about doing anything I ask him to do, and even things I didn't ask but he saw I could use, but they do things differently in their own homes, so it's hard for them to remember. But my husband will, or already did, talk to them about it so it'll be easier on me. I did see my son go get the floor vacuum and clean the floor, so I suspect hubby already mentioned it to them.

On top of all that, my hubby is driving my car so my son can use his car and his first day out a rock hit my windshield resulting in a large crack, so I had to call our insurance, then make arrangements for the glass company to come out and fix it today when the car would be home for the day. They would have gone to my husband's office, but he preferred to have it done in our garage due to the hot weather and lack of shade in the parking lot. They're here right now so that's taken care of.
Okay, whining over.........
 
So many frustrations! I've had to try to let go some of my wee preferences and try not to let some small things get to me. OH does very well but not the way I do it etc. He's making some pretty odd food shopping choices too.
I only need one stick now but I lumber slowly about the house. Actually I quite enjoy the multiplicity of little walks I need to have just organising daily activities. One trip with a mug, another with a plate another to check the oven etc etc! It's PT but not as they know it!
 
I'm stuck with the bulky walker which is difficult to maneuver around my house normally, but especially more so with visitors and their belongings around. I keep having to have shoes taken out to the garage instead of the floor as we don't wear shoes inside, but visitors seem to come in and take their shoes off inside instead of in the garage
Did your hubby mention this to your guests, too. Stuff in your way can be very dangerous. Someone needs to make sure you have a clear pathway and it shouldn't have to be you.
 
@sistersinhim Yes, he did, and I did too, and they're trying, but keep forgetting as they wear shoes in their home. Usually I'm up and around so usually just give my kids/grandkids a "mom" look and they remember.....lol. But I'm not in there a lot so have to ask them to take them out when I see them.
I can't wait until I have a free hand to carry stuff! But at least my walker can carry my drink mugs that have lids-I won't put open cups in it as one bump and whoosh.......It also has a carry bag, but that doesn't work for everything. I thought about getting a tray for it but decided against it for the same reason I don't carry open cups in the cup holder.
 
Self-preservation has made me use my cane instead of my walker this afternoon. It's our DIL's birthday so we have a houseful here to celebrate. I'm mostly staying in my room, but when I go out there are too many people and toys, purses, diaper bags, etc, everywhere to navigate with my walker. So, I started using my cane and holding on to furniture with my other hand. After a few trips back and forth, I'm actually getting better at it, so maybe the walker will end up in the garage soon after all.:yes: The adults have all been assigned different parts of the steak dinner I planned for her, and all I have to do is eat! And those who aren't cooking have been assigned to clean up, so all I had to do was plan and organize. Hubby bought the few things we needed plus picked up the cake I ordered. This is so easy, I ought to have surgery more often.....:rotfl:
 
Well, the walker won't go to the garage yet. Although I was able to use my cane, the pain became too much after a while so it was back to the walker. I think I'll use it when I need a free hand tomorrow since I'll be totally alone all day, otherwise stick with the walker for the most part. But, the time will come when the walker is banished for good. :)
 
I loved the walker when I was in hospital but it was whisked away on day 3 and I wasn't allowed to have it back. I found 2 sticks necessary for a few days but manage fine with just one now. I'm 13 days out today. I only potter around the house though. Not exactly demanding. It's quite helpful for 'directing' the cat away from places he shouldn't be!
 
@Spex10 I don't understand...who whisked your walker away and why? My OS told me it'd likely be in the vicinity of 3 weeks for the walker, then to the cane for as long as I need it. There's no way I could have gone to a cane at 3 days, and I would have made that very clear if anyone had tried to make me put away my walker. I have one at home anyway so would have just used it regardless until I felt ready to move on. My balance wasn't strong enough then, and still isn't good enough to just go to the cane 100%. I can manage a little bit around the house with furniture, etc, to use to help when needed, but not anywhere else. Plus, after a bit the pain starts hitting so it's back to the walker. As time goes on I'll go to the cane only, but not quite yet.
 
Yes I was taken off walker day 2 and onto crutches. 3 weeks post op today and I am on one in the house and two outside. My surgeon would like me to be free of crutches at my 6 week check. So 3 wks to go. Not sure if that’ll happen.

Best to progress to next stage when you feel ready. Good luck.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom