Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Wow, all those lovely dinners, AND a freezer (s) to put them in! :roseshwr:
My freezer is teeny tiny.
 
Did any of your friends bring you dinners?
 
I am really lucky to have two large upright freezers in my garage, plus a french door refrigerator with a large freezer drawer under the fridge in my kitchen and also an extra fridge in the garage. But I really need them all due to the large amount of stuff from my garden I freeze every year.
 
No, but I've never had luck with that anyway as in the past when they did we got some (ahem) interesting meals and I'd rather know what I'm getting. I guess I'm pretty picky......:heehee: But my daughter will usually make us a meal or two, and knows what we like. Plus our oldest son and his wife are coming for a week long visit Saturday from the eastern US and they both will be cooking while here.
 
Well, on a different note, my ON-Q pain pump looks to be totally empty, so now we shall soon see how I do.....Not looking forward to the near future, barring a miracle. I told my OS if I can't take the pain I'm going to the ER and let them do whatever they have to do. After experiencing the pain on Monday, I am scared to death just thinking about it.
 
Well your system this time has worked out beautifully!

I have lost interest in cooking, though I used to be quite good at it. I’ve definitely lost my touch.

After my surgery my neighborhood surprised me with meals for about 10 days. We got some yummy stuff!

And I hope your pain level will be better than you are expecting, without your ON-Q.
 
Jockette-I'm so glad your neighbors were so generous and that the meals were so tasty. You are very lucky to have such wonderful neighbors. We have some really great neighbors, and we all do a lot for each other, but don't really do meals for each other, although I make bread for our across the street neighbor often. He's a sweetheart, a young 85, and always loves to help us, so I return the favor. We live on a street where most of the people have lived here for well over 40 or 50 years, so most of my neighbors are getting on in life, and I'm one of the "youngsters". I share my garden produce, and often share different foods I've made also.
 
This is what the ON-Q looks like empty. When full it's a large balloon-like thing inside instead of the skinny empty tube inside. It may have a tiny bit left-hard to tell, but I won't D/C it until I know for sure by the pain I'll start having, that it's empty.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    ON-Q empty.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 246
Now this is strange....They were calling my pain pump the ON-Q, but it just registered with me that the carry bag says Arrow, so I looked online at the ON-Q and the Arrow pain pumps. I don't know the difference, but it seems this is different than the ON-Q. Oh well, it worked well whatever it is.....lol.
 
I just looked them up. I had the On Q one. The one you show in the picture looks more like the pump I had while pregnant with my twins that was in my leg. It gave me regular doses of meds to keep my uterus calm.
 
Oh, and it was easy to do as I purposely made a lot of food every night for dinner for quite a while before my surgery, and made plates from all those meals. I always plan my dinners for the month, so planned April and May's meals with the after surgery dinners in mind. I also bought a whole turkey breast and ham from Sam's club, sliced them on my electric slicer and portioned them into vacuum bags and froze for lunch sandwiches. I always do that anyway, but made sure to have plenty on hand for our lunches.
This is brilliant! I'm going to do this for my second knee. My husband doesn't cook and the meals he did manage were less than yummy. Lol bless his heart he truly tried. I'm back cooking now. I make dinner every night and although it's not my usual dinners it's much better than what we had.
 
Sorry to see you ended up in Ed. Hope you are OK .
You were certainly well organised with your meals. I did a big shopping before my op but having to trust to hubby to do the cooking of it all. Getting some weird mixtures of meals.
 
I live in a 55+ community, looking out for each other in an outgoing way is part of the camaraderie of the community. I’m one of the youngest here, too. Some of the ladies call me Honey, like I’m their daughter!

And, I think I found the Fountain of Youth here, I’ve never seen such young looking ladies in their 70s and even 80s! You should see how well they bowl!

We’ve been here 3 years and I love it.
 
All those yummy meals probably helped you heal! My husband doesn’t have kitchen skills, but he likes to grocery shop and will pick up ready made food. Like you I didn’t have much of an appetite while recovering from TKR. I found it extremely difficult to get the amount of protein they wanted me to have and supplemented with protein smoothies. I also froze some meals but nothing as elaborate as you. I made chili, lasagna, turkey wild rice casserole and a few others. I think I still have pulled pork Mac n cheese and a few others in the freezer. [emoji14]. I wonder if they are still good after 7 months???


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Your "screen" name suits you perfectly with the cooking! I used to cook a lot when the kids were home. Now it's just me and the hubs and I do get tired of going out or carry out so I cook maybe 3X week.

September will be the month of "Kim's TV dinner prep" for BTKR in Oct. So many great ideas. Thanks for that!
I think it will be good to have freezer (regular size with fridge) stocked for first month to 6weeks of recovery. Hubs loves to grocery shop but, some of the things he brings home! :groan:

Since you didn't have the narcotics was your appetite off in the first week or so?

Hope all works out with your pain management.
 
@beachy My eating has been fairly normal, but I haven't really felt hungry so far. I eat because we need to after the surgery, but could miss a meal or two (and have) without feeling hungry. If you need any ideas or help when you are ready to prep, just ask.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom