Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Oh I see. I bet that was not too fun! I hope your OS can figure something out for you. :sad:
 
I went a weekend without pain meds due to the holiday and my husband didn't know he had to count my pills out on Friday and make sure to pick up a new script before the days end. My OS only writes pain meds for a week at a time. Needless to say I was right there with you on the just shoot me... whatever it takes to end the pain. I was right at 2 weeks post op when this happened... it was a nightmare and a lesson.... always count meds on Friday for the weekend.
 
Sounds like your hubs was proud of you for "standing up" for yourself! See what I did there...standing up? :loll:
I was going to ask about the On-Q and why they couldn't keep you on that. Then I read in your post about the risk of infection. I just can't imagine the level of pain you were in. Girl, you need a long vaykay when your ordeal is over!
 
Happy Independence Day to USA members!
Had to go to the ED last night-nothing major, just bloody fluid draining from my ON-Q catheter sight all down my leg. They checked the catheter and wrapped my thigh in a bunch of gauze bandages. It seems to have settled down today, so all is well for another day or so until the ON-Q runs out, then all :censored: will be breaking loose in the pain dep't and we'll need to figure out what to do. I do know that I won't have a miracle low/no pain recovery due to the amount of pain I experienced when it ran out Monday. I definitely can't deal with that amount of pain, so tomorrow or Friday when it runs out will be rough I'm sure. I don't want to end up in the ED again, but that will be the last resort. I'm hoping my OS has figured it out after seeing me Monday, or it's the ED for me. The likely scenario there is IV Dilaudid and another stay in the hospital. I'd much rather stay home, but if staying home means a pain level of "just shoot me now" then I'll do what I have to.
 
My daughter and her family came by to visit this afternoon, and the weather was so nice for a change that I went out to the deck and visited with them. It's been way too hot to go out there since my surgery, so it was nice to enjoy the company, the sunshine and my garden while sitting with my leg elevated on my covered deck. It's been not quite 2 weeks and my garden has grown so much-I am missing it though.
 
That's wonderful you were able to sit outside with your family. It's the little things that help this recovery along isn't It!
 
Not being nosey but are you still in Northern CA? We used to live in Southern CA in the Temecula area.
 
My husband is so funny. I have to use crutches to get in and out of my home as the steps aren't deep enough for my walker. I leave them by the back door so I can get to them whenever we leave the house. Tonight he knocked them over, and I heard him say, "stop that!" When I asked him what that was about he said he knocked over my "two legged silver walkers". Huh? lmao He had a senior moment and couldn't remember their name so called them that. :rotfl:
 
One of the many meals I froze in individual TV dinners for post-surgery meals was rib-eye steak and green beans. I knew the green beans would be good, but the steaks were an unknown. I grilled a bunch of them, cooking them a little less than medium rare. Then I sliced them, made a bunch of plates, vacuum sealed the plates and froze them. We had a couple of them for dinner tonight and to my surprise, they were pretty darn good. Not as good as fresh from the grill, but still pretty darn tasty. My non-cooking hubby went out to our garden, dug some new potatoes and even managed to steam them nicely with my directions! So far we've had homemade turkey, pot roast, a couple different chicken meals and the steak TV dinners, plus pulled pork tacos from the pork butts I smoked, pulled, portioned, vacuum sealed and froze before my surgery. And I still have a ton more meals in my freezers, which I planned and made to last more than a month after my surgery. This method has turned out to be a total success, unlike the problematic results last time around.
 
Last edited:
Wish I'd done that..my husband can cook but I swear it was a either a carb fest or some strange concoction which was good most of the time but not exactly healthy lol. Oh and numerous trips to Burger King :heehee:

Definitely going to prep better for knee #2
 
@Txmomgmom3 Last time I made a bunch of meals in foil casserole dishes, with directions on each one. They were good, but we found we wasted a lot as I wasn't eating much. I debated between doing that with smaller foil pans this time, or making TV dinners, and went with the TV dinner concept. So, I made individual plates with the amount I generally eat on some and the amount my husband should be eating on the others. (he eats more than me, and also tends to eat too much when he can get seconds, so these plates give him more than mine but not too much). It's worked perfectly for both of us! I'm not fond of fast food, so a steady diet of it would drive me nuts.
 
Oh, and it was easy to do as I purposely made a lot of food every night for dinner for quite a while before my surgery, and made plates from all those meals. I always plan my dinners for the month, so planned April and May's meals with the after surgery dinners in mind. I also bought a whole turkey breast and ham from Sam's club, sliced them on my electric slicer and portioned them into vacuum bags and froze for lunch sandwiches. I always do that anyway, but made sure to have plenty on hand for our lunches.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom