Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Yea I found out coloring is not really mine thing pretty quick lol. But the granddaughter likes them hehe. Hoping I can concentrate enough now to get back to reading. Have quite a few I just knew I would read through the early recovery days :rotfl:
 
My poor hubby is so bored he went out and HAND watered our entire garden! (Our entire garden is on timers and waters itself!) Then he hung up a motion detector light we had leftover after installing a set of them previously. Then he cleaned the kitchen, and now he's outside again doing something else. :rotfl:
 
Look ma, no bruising! After the TKR in 2014 my leg was one giant bruise, this time I have no bruising and not a lot of swelling. Go figure.....The bandage is due to come off tomorrow, I think....or maybe today. I had a lot of swelling the first few days, mostly in my foot; turns out the ace wrap was too tight so they removed it and the swelling went down.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    7-1-18.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 283
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    2knees.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 342
I can't take a shower yet, so I did the next best thing; washed my hair at the sink then took a sponge bath using those nifty disposable washcloths. I feel so much better. They gave me a couple of semi-showers at the hospital; it was possible with the shower in my bathroom there, but it won't work here so I just punted. I can't wait until I can have a real shower. Now back in bed :ice::ice::ice::elevate::elevate::elevate:. :)
 
PT just left. She agreed to my plan for recovery, and didn't try to push me, so we only walked around the house a little. She was shocked at how well I'm doing. I have full ability to move my leg and am mostly pain free. My ROM is 5/65, not that the numbers matter to me. The extension is great but we both think the bend is hampered some by the dressing on my leg which comes off tomorrow. She agrees that all I need is some help with my gait and I'm good to go. I won't work on that until I'm walking at least with my cane, but more likely when I'm walking without any aids. I see my OS early tomorrow am and that's about all.
 
I just received a call from outpatient PT wanting to make my first appointment in a couple of weeks or so. I told her I wasn't going to be doing outpatient PT except for maybe a little gait help down the road if I need it. Naturally she gave me the "your surgeon ordered this because you need it", spiel and then told me she'd message him and let him know I turned it down; like that threat would make me cower in fear and comply.:heehee: What she doesn't know is my OS and I have already discussed this and he wasn't going to send a referral at all, except that I told him I may want some help later on with my gait, and he said that was fine.
 
What is the deal with all the threats from Phys therapists? Could someone please explain this to me? It doesn't make sense that someone recovering from a very painful surgery has to put up with that rubbish.
 
And sorry lovetocookandsew….my Irish got up for a moment. Glad to hear you're doing better and not bruised!
 
What is the deal with all the threats from Phys therapists? Could someone please explain this to me? It doesn't make sense that someone recovering from a very painful surgery has to put up with that
You don't have to put up with it, as Kim knows.
Some therapists have a false impression of their role and they use this sort of thing as a threat. The truth is that you are the only person with the right to decide what happens to your knee and you have every right to decline PT or any other form of treatment.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
 
Thanks @beachy I agree with you 100%. My husband says he thinks they have a quota, or they have to make the sale, etc.....lol. He also chuckled and told me "you really laid into that PT yesterday as soon as she came into the room. You wouldn't even let her finish her "6 week window of opportunity" bs before you shut her down". :rotfl: He also said they used to use bloodletting as a treatment for some ailments too. :heehee:

I did have a really awful morning today. My ON-Q ran out during the night and I was in excruciating pain (no joke-I hit the pain level of, "just shoot me now") until I got to my appointment with my OS and he replaced it. I have approx. 3 more days with this then all :censored: is going to break loose and we'll have to see what he'll do at that point.
 
Oh my I'm sorry you were in such pain. :console2:I'm not familiar with the ON-Q ...can it not be used for long term pain relief?
 
@Txmomgmom3 Thank-you. It lasts approx 3 days, depending on where it's set. Mine is set to 6, so it should last approx 3 days and 20 hours. They usually only allow you one, but due to my circumstances allowed me two. But the longer it's in the higher the risk of infection so this is all they can allow me. The anesthesiologist sets it in the thigh above the knee to somehow block the nerve there. It's not exactly a fun procedure, but the pain relief is worth it. Mine was put in on day five after my surgery. Until then I had an epidural for pain relief which worked wonderfully, but it too has a time limit.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom