Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

@lovetocookandsew Thank you! Yes the pillow stack is a pain lol. I use the pillows downstairs on the recliner couch. i have a wedge on my bed that looks like the one here on BoneSmart for the one leg (friend let me borrow it) but I would like to be able to elevate both legs. More than likely going to have to have the right knee done in the near future so it might be a good investment!
 
I keep going back and forth about getting a lounge dr. Although I'm almost 8 weeks out I still sleep with my leg elevated. Still hurts to try the side or just flat on the bed. Do you like yours?
I don’t have the lounge Dr but I do have an elevating wedge that my hospital sent home with me. At 15 months post op I still use it every night, as sleeping on my side is still uncomfortable for me, not just my leg, but my back also. So the only way I can sleep on my back is to elevate my legs.
 
@Txmomgmom3 - If you're short, I'd think twice about getting a Lounge Doctor, even though they come in a size for short people. I'm 5'0". My Lounge Doctor is terribly uncomfortable. It kills my knees. Two other short people on this forum told me they've had the same experience.
 
I'm 5'6" and the medium is perfect for me. Last night though, instead of elevating all night, I decided to sleep on my right side as I'm way more comfortable that way. I put a pillow under my left knee in such a way as to keep it from lying atop my right knee, had hubby refill the ice machine with fresh bottles of ice and slept for about 7 hours straight. I've been back on the Lounge Doctor all morning and am still icing. I don't have a lot of swelling, so decided I could skip the elevating last night.
 
@Txmomgmom3
I’m 5’2” and I love my lounge doctor! Very comfortable and I’ve used it since about last July when I was 8 weeks post op with my LTKR. And now use it for this RTKR. I find it quite comfortable when sitting in my recliner. And Im using it about 1/2 of the night for sleeping; alternating with just side lying. As previously stated it’s not a bad idea to elevate those legs even after the first 2-3 months post op. Not sure where you would buy one but I bought mine on amazon and it was $30 less than someone mentioned here awhile ago.
 
I bought size small. I bought the extra wide one because our sofa is really wide. I thought maybe it was the position on the sofa so I've also tried it on the bed and on the floor. For me, after about 5 minutes, the pain is pretty bad in both of my knees. It has found a new life as a sofa for my granddaughter's baby dolls. :)

@chicklet said she also bought a small and also found it uncomfortable.
 
@Txmomgmom3 I bought a small - in fact I have three of them. After the first one I didn’t want to be carting it room(tv) to room (library) so a bought a second and then before the RTKR in May I bought one for the bedroom which is on another floor. So you can see I really like it:flwrysmile:
 
@beachy Actually, my OS has done wonders so far with my pain management. He worked for a long time to come up with ways to keep me comfortable and not kill me in the process. And so far his efforts have paid off! Hopefully after this ON-Q is finished, I'll be able to manage with just OTC meds....but time will tell.
 
The down side to not feeling ill and in pain is the BOREDOM! My mind and body want to be up and around, but my knee has other ideas and needs the usual amount of rest regardless of how the rest of me is feeling. I binge-watched "Home Improvement" all week at the hospital, and now am watching the shows my DVR recorded while I was gone. I've also done some reading, but lying around most of the day with only short trips around the house when I don't feel ill is really difficult. (I sat down on my sofa today for a change, but cannot get back up by myself so will skip that for a while) I planned and made meals in advance, got everything ready for my recovery at home, but didn't realize I'd be this alert and awake all day every day. Since I'm not having trouble sleeping at night, I'm not really tired in the daytime so can't even while away some hours napping. It's going to be a very long and boring recovery.......

I may even send my poor bored hubby back to work on Tuesday as I can make myself my morning mocha, put it in my thermal mug and then into the cup holder on my walker. I can switch out my ice bottles in the ice machine by putting them in the carry bag on my walker, I can make myself a sandwich for lunch, etc. My husband expected me to need constant help as I usually do and doesn't know what to do with himself all day either. He is doing stuff outside off and on, but really is obviously bored. I wonder if anyone has ever really died of boredom.....:rotfl:

The PT called me earlier and wants to come over first thing tomorrow am. I asked her what she had planned and she gave me the usual response, "Take your vitals, see where you are and teach you the exercises you should be doing, etc". I told her I have very different ideas about this recovery and she said we can talk about it as she's "open to other ideas". I took that to mean she plans to hear what I say and will then try to push me to do it her way. Little does she know.........:heehee: I told her she could come, but I don't plan to allow more than the one visit. I do want help with correcting my poor gait, but not this early on.
 
I’m surprised you let her come. I would imagine your vitals will be taken at that 8 an appointment on Monday.

I wouldn’t have the patience to deal with a PT in my home. No guarantee they will leave when I want them too. (Which would be before they arrive!)
 
I decided to let her come once as she's the home health PT and my OS likes me to have one visit from them. I think there's another separate PT they plan on sending out after this as they called me on my way home yesterday to make an app't after the home health person comes, but I told them I wasn't even home yet. They said they'd call back, but I'll skip those appt's. As for getting her out of my house, I have no problem sending her on her way when I'm done, fed up, etc.:snork:
 
Oh the boredom is awful isn't it? I have binge watched more tv shows in the last 7 weeks but hey found some good ones lol. I bought some of those adult coloring books so that was relaxing for awhile but got bored with that too.

You tell that pt whose boss :no-fin: :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom