Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

But I do realize that after the ON-Q is removed around next Thursday, I may end up in a lot of pain since all I can take is OTC pain relievers.
Don't forget that, as your knee is healing, your need for pain relief will decrease. It may not be as bad as you're anticipating. I hope not, anyway!
 
Now this is weird..... but in a good way. I just started to get out of bed and, without thinking, lifted my leg.....AND IT FOLLOWED! I can actually lift my leg without the leg lifter! I took a video of it, but it's too big to upload here so I'll just post a picture.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    lift.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 337
Ahhh...thanks. I'm new to all these knee recovery gadgets!
And I'm watching my poor, pitiful, can't win a game to save their lives Orioles :bawl:What a sad season this has been.
 
UGH...........I just got my appointment time with my OS on Monday....it's at 8:00 AM......IN THE MORNING AM.....I hate mornings! Oh well, I guess I'll survive it.
 
8 AM certainly is a bit early! Any chance of re-scheduling it?
Maybe your surgeon sees a few people before starting his surgery list.
 
@Celle His office hours usually start around 9:00 am, so I suspect he or his nurse requested this time so as to be able to fit me in. It's a very last minute app't for this very busy doctor, plus I think the anesthesiology doc is doing the actual exchange, so they both need to be available. So I'm keeping the app't, albeit with some whining.....lol. Oh, and maybe they're also taking into account the time when this pump will run out and need to be replaced so as to not let me go without it working. I know the anesthesiology doc turned it down a little today to keep it working until Monday instead of Sunday night.
 
My husband had an appointment at 8 am this week. :blackcloud: I was with him when he made the appointment and we really didn’t have a choice, or I would never have agreed to it. I figured, well I guess we’re going out to breakfast afterwards.

As it turned out, I couldn’t fall asleep the night before until 2 am. I set my alarm for 6:25 so I could wake up a little and take a shower. Once “up” I realized I needed coffee and my usual half English muffin more than I needed a shower, so I ate that, thinking breakfast wouldn’t be until about 9. Quick clean up and make up (thankfully short hair doesn’t require much) and out we went about 7:30.

There were quite a few cars on the road (thankfully we didn’t have far to go) and I thought, wow, this is what it looks like out here this time of day! :rotfl: So glad we’re retired and don’t have that every day mad rush anymore! :dancy:
 
I set my alarm already for 6:30 Monday. I'm a night owl, and don't get up until 9 am most days. I've actually gotten some sleep every night at the hospital....go figure...lol. I can't really take a shower at home with this pain pump in, but I can have hubby wash my hair for me and I can do the sponge bath thing. The nurse was able to give me a shower today due to the set up of that shower, but I can't do it here.

I also binge-watched "Home Improvement" the entire week at the hospital, except for when I was watching the Giants. It was funny because everyone knew I was binge watching and made cute comments about it every time they came into my room and saw me watching. Or they'd watch it for a minute and we'd talk about it.....lol. I can even concentrate enough to read a book! I suspect that over the coming years they'll come up with better ways for pain control that doesn't include opioids. If they could do long term epidurals and let people go home with them, it would be amazing.
I have a question; it may be TMI, but I can't figure this one out. I can't figure out how to put on panties with this ON-Q. It may be an easy answer that's staring me in the face, but it's escaping me. I'll have to wear a dress Monday, but I refuse to wear a dress and no panties. I doubt if I can get any pants on yet, but even if I could, I can't figure out the ON-Q. It's inserted into my knee and has a long tube that goes to the large ball thingy which I carry in a pouch around my neck. I have to be very careful not to pull out the cannula in the process. Any ideas anyone?
 
Thread the ON-Q ball down through your panties first, putting it in at the top and coming out through the leg. Then put your panties on, operated leg first and pull them up.
 
WOW, home, sweet, home!
I go to work and major changes.
Glad you are doing well and your pain is under good control. That lounge doctor looks comfy, with your leg nicely elevated.
:yay:
 
@Pumpkln Yes, major changes today. I am really comfy, but the downside to being completely alert and basically pain free is BOREDOM. :rotfl: But I'll take boredom over all the pain and bad reactions of the past.
 
I really have to commend my OS for this recovery. He worked so hard for so long to make this happen and has far exceeded my expectations! Not to mention he has managed to survive me for all these years. :rotfl:
 
I keep going back and forth about getting a lounge dr. Although I'm almost 8 weeks out I still sleep with my leg elevated. Still hurts to try the side or just flat on the bed. Do you like yours?
 
@Txmomgmom3 I love it so far. In the past I always used stacked pillows. Those work well, except they constantly fall over, and pinning them just caused the pillowcases to get ripped. I'm not sure how much longer you'll need one if you're at 8 weeks already, but if the cost isn't a concern, I say get one. If cost is a concern, then how much value you'll get at this point vs cost is something to think about. Someone who has used one for a long time would be a better judge of that since I just started using mine today. But they stacked my pillows in the hospital the Bonesmart way, and every time I got up to walk, or use the toilet, the nurse had to take them out from under my leg, then re-position them when I got back in bed. Plus they didn't stay put very well, so didn't elevate consistently. I would have used my Lounge Dr. there but for the possibility of transferring germs.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom