I saw my OS on Tuesday for my 3 month post-op. It was a bit long, but we did talk. While he's not certain the metal allergy is causing my problems, he won't say it isn't the cause either. He did examine my knee and also said he thought the swelling has gotten a little worse. When he moved my leg and knee as a whole, it didn't really hurt, but when he moved and/or pressed specific individual areas, it hurt a lot. IMHO, some of the pain was likely caused by angry swollen tissue, but some was deeper inside my knee. He told me that he would do a revision, but I'd have to come to that decision myself. I'm not ready to go there as we aren't certain it would fix the problem, plus we have yet to figure out the pain med problem. I told him I'd go for a revision if first, we were sure it would help, or at least pretty sure, and secondly if he could get the pain meds figured out. He said I'll have to make the decision, but in the meantime he wants to start doing regular x-rays to see if there are any changes, even subtle ones, to point to anything. He also said he was going to read some medical journals and consult with some other docs about my PITA knee (my term-not his...lol) and pain med problem.
I asked him if he's heard of Dr. Maale, and he hasn't. I also asked him what he thought about a consult with him, and he said there are about 60 top notch doctors in this area he'd rather go to first as he thinks there is enough expertise around here. Of course, that's also my choice, but I'll wait and see what he comes up with. I am wondering though, if there's an expert anywhere on nickel allergies and implants who has a lot of experience with basically a medium result on the LTT test. My OS does tons of revisions, but he hasn't had a lot of experience with allergies specifically as far as I can tell.
So, basically I'm in the same place as usual. I have a swollen knee that wouldn't be a huge problem on it's own, other than the lack of a good enough ROM to do more than basic activities, but the pain that comes with it is concerning to him. And the pain is slowly getting worse. I'm still able to keep it bearable most of the time with OTC meds, but there are times, like last night, where the pain gets pretty intense and OTC pain meds don't help. Last night I was getting a sharp throbbing pain on the outside of my knee that radiated up my leg. It lasted for a couple of hours, then finally settled down and stopped. Today I keep getting an on and off throbbing pain deep inside the inner part of my knee; luckily this one isn't radiating to any other area. My sleep is still disturbed often during the night from knee pain that's caused by moving and by uncomfortable positions.
Part of me says a revision is the best idea, but another part of me says it is a bad idea at this point in time. If I knew it would help, and I knew that we had the pain part figured out, my decision would be easy. But it's a very difficult decision as it stands right now. It's still frustrating and I'm sure my OS is totally sick of me by now.