Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Happy Birthday! I used baby wipes with aloe. They smelled nice and the aloe felt good on my skin. Some of the hospital wipes were very drying to my skin.
 
PT was just here. I am amazed, but have found a PT who believes that no pain is gain when it comes to knees. He never pushed my knee or pushed on it, caused me no pain and made sure I don't overdo. He gave me a few very basic heel slides, etc, to do, but said the best thing I can do right now, besides rest, elevation and ice, is to walk. Things have changed a lot in the last two years with TKRs and my doctors. My extension is 10, flex is 80 and he kept telling me how great that was. We talked about how some docs want the same ROM at the first PT session as they can get in the operating room, but he also said that's not feasible with all the swelling that hits. And boy am I swollen (my OS did tell me he got the joint to 135 in surgery, though)! All in all, I'm fine with doing PT with someone who believes the BoneSmart way. (He didn't say that but I know from what he did tell me that he believes in a kinder, more gentle recovery) Time to have some dinner so I can take my pain meds-the last dose wore out while the PT was here and I have to eat before I can take the next dose) I've forgotten how utterly exhausting this whole process is.
 
So happy you're home Kim! I'm sure being in your own bed and having an 'enlightened' PT have been great Birthday Gifts- lol! Here's to YOU and much better days of recovery ahead!

:cheers:
 
Thanks, @Suz! Yes, having a PT who will listen to me is very nice; having one who wants to make sure I have the very best possible outcome is priceless. I was worried when they told me my previous PT was unavailable, but actually that turned out to be a blessing. All in all it was a nice quiet birthday; exactly what I needed.
 
I'm very glad you have a PT who believes in the gentle approach to recovery. PTs like that are like gold dust, so he sounds like a keeper.
 
@Pumpkln Thanks! And, as usual, you're right, so I know it will get better.

@Celle I agree-he's a rare gift! He never touched me or tried to make me push faster or harder than I was comfortable with, but still got me to gently push myself.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about pain control. The 4mg Dilaudid isn't seeming enough by itself, so should I ask for an add-on for pain, or what? I'm getting the usual zingers, and breakthrough pain, so what do I need to ask for? Before dinner, I was talking to my daughter when out of the blue I got slayed by a huge knifing pain, that just kept going and going and going..........I need some solid chunks of time for sleep.etc, etc. Right now I'm getting slight bouts of sleep, not enough to feel even slightly rested. Do I ask for some Tramadol for breakthrough pain so I can sleep, or??????
 
You certainly need something more. Ask you OS or PCP/GP what they suggest.
 
So glad to hear that you are home ! In spite of all the annoying discomfort, like Dorothy said in The Wizard of Oz, "there's no place like home". Hope your pain level isn't too bad at this point. Isn't it great to be back pack in your own bed??? Sounds like your hubby is taking good care of you, I'm sure you're grateful for that. It is difficult when we can't do !much for ourselves, but it's only temporary. Hope you have a good day.
 
Call and ask the OS what they advise. He already knows you have a hard time with pain control.
 
@sistersinhim I didn't go up a flight if stairs backwards - just two steps leading up to my porch, where I don't have a handrail. This was so I could lean DOWN onto my walker to really take the weight off my surgical leg.

I just wanted to clarify that. I'm NOT going up a regular flight of stairs backwards.
 
@CaliGirl exactly what I do now that you showed us how....I have two steps into my house I couldn't figure out, your idea was perfect!

@karol723 Thank-you!

@Pumpkln as always, you are correct! Hard to think clearly while walking the floor exhausted and in pain in the wee hours. I think I'll ask him for something for breakthrough pain. I have vague memories of walking back and forth early this am in pain that wouldn't stop. Then, due to exhaustion, sleeping past my 7 am meds and taking them with some cream of wheat around 8 am.
 
I was so lucky that the nurses when I was in hospital would wake me up for pain meds, so I stayed on schedule. It was so helpful in keeping my pain levels low.
 
Same here @CaliGirl After each dose they'd ask if I wanted to be woken for the next scheduled dose or if I wanted to sleep until I woke, then get my pain meds. I chose to be woken every time.
 
Finally slept some in the end last night...not near the amount I need though. I'm trying to balance my pain meds so I can lower my pain enough to function, but not so much that I’m in La La Land all day. I tried to cut back to one Dilaudid today, but it wasn't comfortable enough, so went back to two. I need to reach my doctor tomorrow and get this figured out. I had planned to do it today, but I spent most of the day in a haze from the pain medicine so forgot. I'll call his assistant tomorrow. Other than that, I’m just hanging around elevating, resting and icing. Hard to believe it’s been a week already! Two more weeks to wait for the cultures to do whatever they’re going to do or not do. Then, based on that info, comes another decision.
 
Kim, it's too soon to be cutting back your pain meds. Right now, your knee needs you to be in La La Land, so that it can rest and heal. :sleeep: :ice:
 
@Celle You're right, as usual......

I know I'm stubborn......my daughter tells me that all the time when I don't want to do what I'm supposed to, but rather what I want to do. My OS wanted me using a cane after the knee problems cropped back up 6 months after the TKR, but I hate them so didn't use one. Good thing I have no energy or stamina or I'd be doing stuff that's on the no-no list. Too bad there's no way to send just my knee to LaLa Land and leave my brain in Alert-ville.
 
Wow......I had completely forgotten how much energy and stamina you lose after surgery. It's like after having a baby....tons of pain that you forget the second you hold that little angel in your arms, right up until the next one. You know it will hurt, but time and distance dulls the memories. In theory, I knew I'd lose all my stamina and have no energy, but in reality, it's so much more than I remember. One lap around my house and I'm wiped out already! Granted, I wasn't running marathons before this surgery, but geeeeezzzzzzzzzz........I have to say, I was hoping this would be easier than the TKR since it's not as invasive or brutal. In some ways it's not as bad; in other ways it's just as bad.

Last night I took my 11:00 pm meds and went to sleep. Somehow I managed to sleep through my 3:00 am alarm, and then woke up in the early hours in awful pain. I've been trying to "catch up" all day on pain control but am still squirming in pain some and getting a lot zingers . I know I was exhausted yesterday, which I'm sure is why I didn't wake to the alarm, but I still need to get the pain under control again.

PT is coming tomorrow and I'm hoping he knows about these silly PICO things. They were buzzing like mad and driving me nuts, now they both seem to be dead. I'm not sure what will happen with them and the dressings-I seem to remember my dressing being removed and changed before I went in to my 2 week post-op appointment.
My daughter spent the day here and took wonderful care of me. Tomorrow hubby will be here, then Friday my daughter will be here again, so I'm well taken care of.
 
Back
Top Bottom