Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

@lovetocookandsew I saw the PA today and she told me the pain in my shin is probably related to the removal and then the insertion on the new stem into the bone. She told me that even if the appliance was loose there is still some bone loss and some trauma to get everything out. She also said that if the appliance is loose it just wears on the bone.
 
Thanks! I haven't had a revision, so that's not why mine hurts. I'm sure I'll find out what exactly is up with this dang knee next month.
 
After my TKR recovery, I tossed out my large ice packs that I had made. I didn't need them and they took up a lot of space in my freezers, and they're simple to make again. So today I bought a bunch of rubbing alcohol to make some more......This time I plan to make some that are more rectangular as the previous ones were basically square and I wasn't happy with their size and shape. I'm making new ones that are 8" wide by whatever length I need to go completely around my knee when it's swollen (right now it's swollen quite a bit so I plan to measure it and add a bit to be safe).

Then I'm going to make a couple of flannel and fleece covers that the packs will slip into, with velcro straps to keep them in place. (flannel on one side and fleece on the other so as the pack changes temps I can flip from fleece to flannel-last time I started out with a thick towel between my skin and the pack and unfolded it, then removed it entirely as the packs melted).

Last time the ice packs kept falling off my knee every time I fell asleep (which is every time I put them on the first couple of months...lol) plus they only really covered the top of my knee. I finally bought a holder with straps after I got tired of that hassle, but the ice still only covered the top and it only fit a thin pack inside which didn't last long. This time I plan to surround my knee in ice. I thought about buying an icing machine, but after realizing they have to be filled with ice over and over and then you have to manually fill the wrap with gravity, etc, decided it's too much of a hassle for me. So, hopefully this'll be the better plan for my needs.

What was really funny today was as I approached the checkouts at Sam's club with my rubbing alcohol, a vendor snagged me to try to sell me some kind of heat/ice pads. I chuckled at her and showed her my basket and told her I was going to make my own for pennies, instead of something like $10 each. Although I didn't go over and look at her prices, she had a couple of very small blue plastic ice pad looking things in her hands and I know from experience they charge a lot for those small ones...lol. Granted, if I could find some pre-made ones the exact size and shape I need and for a reasonable price, I'd rather buy them, but I looked all over the internet and no one has any that are 8 or 9 inches wide and totally wrap around your knee. Plus, mine will be custom made for my knee size.

I have some rolls of vacuum bags that are 8" wide by 50 feet long-plenty to make more than enough packs. Last time I kept running out of frozen bags as they take a while to re-freeze, so this time I'll make more than I'll need. The only good thing about having to wait 2 months for this surgery is I have time to thoroughly prepare. I also bought some disposable foil casserole pans and will make some meals in them to freeze. I've already made some navy bean soup, chili, etc. and will make other things also. Luckily I have two upright freezers plus two refrigerators with freezers so have plenty of room. Plus, since it's spring now, most of the fruit and veggies from last years' garden are used up, so my freezers are less full than they will be next fall.
 
Great idea to make those ice wraps. Both hospitals I've been in gave me the wraps with and extra set of 'ice' packs so one is in the freezer at all times. It doesn't have ice all the way around so I just slip some extra ice wraps inside the wrap for the back of my knee. I have an ice machine that has an electric motor and I fill it with frozen ice blocks used in coolers and some ice and it runs all night long. It does hum a little but it works well.
 
My hospital had given me some ice bags, but they didn't go around my knee, plus they needed to be refilled with ice, and they eventually leaked, so I tossed them. I did try an ice pack in the front and the back but it wasn't really efficient-the back one never hit my skin well as I didn't have a holder for it, so this time I plan to cover it all. I had about 2 or 3 large ones, and a few small ones last time but they all needed so much time to refreeze that I ran out quickly every day. I'm planning on having 8 or so this time. I thought about the electric machine, but I don't want to have to keep making ice as I don't think my ice maker could keep up, and buying ice, then refilling a machine is more than I want to do after surgery. Granted I could send hubby out, but the whole thing is just a hassle to me. I know it's perfect for some people, and that's great.
 
Ugh-I just realized that I'm having surgery right before my 60th birthday, darn it all. I'll more than likely be home, unless something unexpected happens to keep me there 6 days after, but even though I'll be home, I sure won't be feeling up to doing anything. It hadn't hit me before tonight for some reason. :bricks::oyvey::gaah::sigh:
 
I see your point, only I'm not sure what I'm getting......... hopefully I get to keep the new knee I got two years ago, and just get it fixed.
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 
Today marks the two year an-knee-versary of my TKR. My hope is that I can post on my three year an-knee-versary that the pain and swelling are gone, I am back riding my bike, sitting in a car or airplane for long periods with no pain, sleeping all night long without waking from pain, etc. Whatever the outcome of my coming surgery and related tests, I am hoping it will mean we found the problem and it was fixed once and for all. That's my goal and desire for the coming year.
@Pumpkln Happy an-knee-versary to you too! I am so glad your knee finally settled in and decided to behave.
 
I need to whine a little bit today. Monday is the day I've always done the week's major cleaning. Although my kids are all gone, I still have a husband who is in and out 200 times per day on the weekend, won't remove his shoes every time and tracks in a ton of dirt in the process. Not to mention dirty hands washed in sinks, etc, etc. So, the house is usually in need of cleaning after the weekend. I used to run through all my tasks with no problem and in a decent amount of time. Now, I can only do short tasks before the familiar (and dreaded) tightening in my knee that tells me it's swelling and the pain is about to hit hard. I get 20-30 minutes if I'm lucky, then have to sit, elevate and ice. The ice doesn't really do much at this point, but it does help a little with the pain.

I'm so tired of this. My knee limits me in everything I do and is beyond frustrating! I am hoping and praying this next surgery actually works, whatever the result of the tests and whatever my OS has to do in the end. I just want my life back. I want to get on my bike to run to the store or library, instead of driving. I want to shop for endless hours with no thought of my knee. I want to sit at a table and play games for hours without excruciating pain hitting. I want to fly anywhere I choose without worrying about sitting for hours in a cramped seat, instead of staying home knowing the pain I'd have if I went. I want to work in my garden whenever I want without having to skip all the things I can't do anymore, and just do what I want. The list goes on and on....but it all adds up to frustration.
 
I love your comics. There should be a library article just containing all the ones that you have posted here. It always gives me a laugh to see them. Everyone goes through that period when you don't see things will get better. I can understand your frustration . Your surgery is finally getting closer and hopefully you'll get a plan of action afterwards that finally leads you to a complete recovery.
 
@newlybionic :thankyou:

My surgery is getting closer and I'm trying to get everything on my list finished. I spent an hour quilting my granddaughter's quilt and am now lying here with my knee elevated. I hope to finish the last little bit of quilting tomorrow, then make the binding and sew it on. I should be able to have it done soon so I can then make my ice pack covers. Then I have a few more meals I want to make for my freezer.

After reading a few posts lately from some who've had or have infections, I am starting to get a bit more scared as I may also have an infection and I also have major problems with most pain meds and am allergic to some antibiotics, so I'm scared I may have problems with whatever my OS is putting me on. I know I'll be on antibiotics right away and also when I go home for around 3 weeks to allow time for the cultures to grow. I'll stay on them for 8 weeks if he does find an infection. I'm not scared of the surgery as I'll sleep through it, but am scared of the recovery after the awful recovery I had the last time.

I'm also worried as he did mention a small chance of finding the unexpected in there and either having to do a one-stage revision then and there, or possibly having to start a two-stage right then. The chance is small, but it's still possible so it has me concerned. I really want to avoid a revision even though it kind of seems like my OS would rather just do a revision as he seems to think the odds are I'll need one at some point. I know for sure he prefers to do a two-stage if there is an infection, and I gave in and said at that point we'd talk again and I'd probably take his advice. I know if I don't have an infection and this surgery doesn't help, we'll have to assume it's the nickel allergy and then I'll have to have a revision anyway, but at least it'd only be a one stage. We're hoping that if I do have an infection, this surgery shows it, if not we're hoping the surgery fixes the problem.
 
Hard not knowing what is going to happen during your surgery, if this then that, but again maybe this. :tantrum2:
Once you get to the bottom of what is going on with your knee, your recovery will be easier than for your TKR.
I agree with your surgeon that you eventually will need a revision with a nickel free knee.
 
Deep down inside I have a little voice telling me I'll need a revision, but because there is a chance to avoid it, I'm hoping and praying I can. It is hard not knowing exactly what's wrong, and what's going to happen.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom