Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Best Wishes for your appointment on Tuesday. I hope the car ride is bearable and you have a reassuring visit with your surgeon. Wishing you a good week.
Happy Sunday! :wave:
@lovetocookandsew
 
My clever tip for the day...... I don't need a toilet riser anymore, but still can't get up from my toilet seat as it's in a little room by itself with nothing to grasp to lift myself. My husband wanted to attach rails to the walls, but I won't need the assist forever, and I don't want unsightly rails permanently on the walls. Plus, the walls are farther apart than would really be comfortable to lift myself, so nixed the idea. I saw toilet safety rails online, but didn't want one that screws onto the back of the toilet under the seat, and so was looking at freestanding types. Guess what? They look just like a walker, albeit without the wheels. My wheels started churning, so, I lowered the height on my walker it all the way down, which prevents the wheels from rolling (at least on this one it does). Then I sat it over the toilet, and voila! I have a freestanding toilet rail! When done, I'll just fold it up and store it back away. Then I got out my new walker and will use it now instead of the old one. I've been using the old one as it holds the carry bag better than the new one, but that's a very small issue.
 
It was more a storage issue than a money-saving issue. I hate storing stuff forever that I may never need again. I may one day need them again, although I hope I never do, but a toilet rail would have just been another thing to add to my canes, crutches, two walkers, toilet commode, two ice machines and so on and so on.........lol.
 
Isn’t it great when we find what we need, right in our house!

When sewing, I love to “shop in my closet”, though my coordinating supplies are running low.
 
I wanted to get rid of the walker, toilet riser etc. after I didn't need them after my TKR. Luckily I married up and my wife said no. 4 months later I found out my groin pain was a bad hip. Not the first time I'm glad I've kept her around. :rotfl:
 
You never know when you might need an aid of some sort, so I‘m keeping mine.

Years ago my foot swelled up suddenly and I couldn’t put any weight on it. Since it had swelled pretty drastically within a couple of hours, we decided to go to the ER. My husband had quite a time getting me out to the car. I sure could have used a walker that night! I got one soon after, for just in case.
 
I saw my OS this morning. The scars are healing as expected and the x-rays look good; although to me it's kind of scary to see a large piece of bone grafted and wired onto my femur, plus a bicycle chain looking piece wired and screwed to my tibia from my knee to my ankle. He's not surprised at how long it's taking me to recover and reminded me I didn't have a minor surgery, I had major surgery. He also explained in detail, using his hands as a slightly graphic visual aid, the part about cutting my thigh all the way to the bone, pulling all the skin, muscle and so on away from the bone above and below where he cut, to expose the bone so he could do the graft and wiring. I could have lived without hearing those details, but am kind of glad he reminded me how major a surgery it was and why it's taking me so long to get over the first big hump.

I'm still using my walker as the cane just isn't going to help this time. I told him I'm probably going to just transition straight from the walker to walking unaided when I'm able since the cane is just too painful to use. He agreed and said whenever I'm ready is fine. Nearly seven weeks with a walker, so far, is no fun, but it can't be helped, so use it I do.

The process of going to the doctor was a big pain; getting ready to leave, including taking a shower, then getting driven 45 minutes, walking to the office, checking in, getting x-rays, (which actually caused me to shed some tears as they had to move my leg around, straighten it, bend it some, etc) then walking back to the waiting room until they called me in to his exam room. By the time the doctor came in I was worn out and in a lot of pain, which was very obvious. I see him again in six weeks; hopefully by then I can drive myself, easily walk, am pain-free and a lot more healed!
 
:flabber: My knee/leg feels sore just reading this, it really puts into perspective why you have had so much pain after surgery and continue to do so. Although you will take longer to heal at least there is light at the end of the tunnel, Kim, hopefully soon you will be back to normality and all the pains pre/post surgery will be a thing of the past.
Hang in there, sending Virtual Hugs to you xxx
 
Just as Sara61 said, reading that made my knees ache with sympathy pain - I’m sorry that you continue to have such pain. It is helpful to know why- but you poor thing- this has been such a rough recovery for you so far. Each time you go to your post op that process i hope gets easier each time- and you will be walking in eventually-passing by those who are at their first couple post-ops and be so happy you got through it,
Hugs to you my friend.
 
Hi Kim,
I hope you’re having a good day. I just noticed it’s almost two months since your surgery.
Wondering if you’ve noticed much progress since you last updated? Hopefully so :fingersx: Wishing you a peaceful, pain free night and weekend. :friends:
@lovetocookandsew
 
Thanks for asking, Layla. Things are very slowly improving. The pain, while still present, has lessened most of the time. I do wake up in a lot of pain in the mornings so need to use my walker for a bit until the ibuprofen kicks in. It’s helping to keep my pain levels down now that the pain has gone to a more manageable level. The rest of the day I am trying to use just my cane, but I have to be careful with it. I wanted to go from the walker to walking unaided, but that’s not going to happen. I can walk a step or two unaided, but my leg will generally either give me sharp pains in the thigh area or give out on me after a couple of steps, so I’m not safe to walk without an aid yet. I also still have a lot of swelling so can’t get up or down from chairs or the toilet, so I ended up buying a hinged toilet riser and removed the walker I was using to lift myself. The riser makes it possible to sit and stand now without any handles, so it will need to be there until the swelling goes down enough to allow me more bend than I currently have. We have the taller toilets, but they’ve still been problematic for me this time and I haven’t been able to use them without assistance, which I could do after my revision. I don’t know my ROM numbers, but they’re not much and are definitely less than before this surgery, which wasn’t great then either.

I’m sleeping a little more each night-not all night yet, but more than I was. I’m also walking around more, and helping fix dinner some nights. Now that the pain has lessened I’m going back to icing and elevating a lot. I haven’t been able to do too much of it as the elevation pulled on my wound area too much and I couldn’t stand the pain, and the ice wrap was also too painful. Now, I can elevate and ice without too much pain, so will be doing that as much as possible and we’ll see if it helps.

This has been by far the worst recovery, pain-wise, I’ve had, and don’t wish it on anyone. It’s been a double-whammy as the pain has been more intense than any of my past knee surgeries, and not being able to take strong pain meds has meant I’ve had to just get through this by gritting my teeth, trying not to scream and trying to function at least a little. I can’t really tell yet if the surgery did what it was supposed to in stopping the post pain, but I’m beginning to suspect it just very well may have.

My next goal is to go to the grocery store with hubby driving, and use their electric cart to do a little shopping. Then, after that, my next big goal is to drive myself to my second post-op appointment next month. (I haven’t driven my car myself in months; even before this surgery I wasn’t driving as it became too painful, so hubby’s been doing all the driving. I’m looking forward to reclaiming my independence as soon as possible) After the doctor’s appointment, I plan to go to IKEA, finally, and order the cabinets we need. Then, I plan to just live my life, and hopefully it’s pain free!
 
Thankfully you’re seeing some improvement. You seem to be taking it all in stride and adjusting your expectations when necessary. This has to be difficult, my heart goes out to you. I‘m sure there is frustration involved with the inability to do what you want, when you want without hesitation or pain. Hopefully you continue to enjoy progress, your pain lessens and you feel stronger and steadier week by week. Prayers for your healing.
@lovetocookandsew
 
kim,
Glad you are making slow but sure improvement.
:fingersx: you are able to drive to your OS's appointment in a month, and go to Ikea to purchase cabinets.
 
Great goals! I have an IKEA kitchen :) Walking around that store would be great PT..LOL
 
I have an IKEA kitchen
Our kitchen at our last house was partly an IKEA kitchen also. I love that store! When we gutted and remodeled that kitchen, all the lowers were from IKEA. My husband built the uppers as the area was a strange size and no pre-fab cabinets fit.

We'll just be buying cabinets and a counter top/folding table for the laundry room as currently it only has a small shelf. We also will be adding two 36" lower cabinets with all drawers, and a countertop, in an empty space in the eating area for the kitchen in this new house to expand the number of cabinets. My husband will build an upper long cabinet/shelf unit for above the new cabinets. We need to get this done so we can get the new flooring ordered and installed. But it's had to wait until I can get to IKEA. I couldn't go last spring as it was closed, and by the time it opened I had become unable to walk that much.

@Pumpkln Thanks for the good wishes!

@Layla It is frustrating, but I'm getting through it. Thankfully we still have a lot of the food I had pre-made for after surgery. The plated TV dinners are gone, but we still have shredded pork, turkey, stuffed grilled beer-can burgers, grilled chicken and so on, so cooking hasn't been difficult, or an issue yet. We've eaten my pre-made meals most of the time, and we've had take-out Chinese or Mexican food once every other week or so.
 
Yesterday I went to the grocery store, finally. It's harder here than it was at our old house as it's a 25 minute drive instead of two blocks. But, hubby drove me, an employee brought me out an electric cart, and I was able to shop for a while. I did come home and take a long nap as it completely wore me out, but I accomplished it and feel like I can do some more things now. I'm still limited to places with electric carts as I'm not buying one for a temporary situation, so places where they don't provide them, or where they're always in use, are out for now.

Tonight, I'm making an actual dinner, ie: not one of the pre-made meals. It's an easy dinner, just sous vide steaks, baked potatoes and pan roasted asparagus, but I'm cooking all of it! It is causing the pain to ramp back up, but anything I do causes that, so I'm just gritting my teeth and getting on with it.

Last night I tried getting in and out of the bathtub; it was an actual dry run...lol, but I managed it so will take a bath soon. Getting in was a breeze as I can just slide in, but getting out is harder as it's a deep spa-type tub; but after a bit of struggle I figured out a way to do it without killing myself. If I hadn't, hubby was right there to keep me safe and help if needed. But, I was able to do it myself.

Now, if I can just start to sleep for longer than short cat-naps, I'll be on my way. Plus, if the swelling would just go down, I'd be much more mobile, plus I think it would also help with the pain. But, baby steps.....the last two days have been big steps so I'm not complaining, just chomping at the bit to be free of pain and swelling and thus free to live my life!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom