Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I had a strange reaction after my surgery. Both of my feet pilled. They looked awful. I could understand the pilling on my TKR knee's foot since it was swollen, but not the other one, too. I never got an explanation about it. Eventually, the pilling stopped. I don't think your bruising is anything to be concerned about, but it's best that you let your doctor know.
 
I wouldn't be concerned at all about the bruising on it's own, but it's so painful I can barely walk on it. It may be plantar fasciitis, but in the past when I've had it I didn't have any bruises, so it may not be. I'm not really concerned; more wondering what's up with my foot.
 
The pain sounds concerning. It's best to call your doctor and send him some photos. Maybe he did something during surgery that would explain it.
 
I agree Kim, Call your OS in the morning, those bruises should not be that painful.
 
How did you sleep last night, Kim?
Hopefully well, you’re feeling refreshed and it’s sunny in your neck of the woods. :SUNsmile:
A flower for you :flwrysmile: I hope today is a good one!
@lovetocookandsew
 
Truthfully, I'm still not sleeping; more dozing in fits and starts. In 4 days I'll be one month post-op. This recovery has been so much harder than the revision recovery. That one was a breeze, but this one is a hurricane!

The weather is cloudy and rainy here lately-but I don't mind the rain.

We have appointments with our eye doctor a week from today, and I'm hoping I can make it. I don't want to skip it, but will if I have to.

I've decided not to do any Christmas decorating this year as it's just too difficult to buy all the decorations, tree, etc. plus have my husband decorate. He was willing, but trying to explain how I wanted everything was more than I wanted to deal with, and turning him loose to decorate would be a disaster in the making. (His idea of decorating in the past has included the wise men in the stable playing craps with dice, the stocking holders reversed to read "LEON", and so on :rotfl:) I'm starting from scratch as I gave our daughter all the decor I had that was in good condition, as the style matched her new home's decor (her decor style is mid-century modern, and all my decorations were more that style than my traditional-modern style)

So, I will be buying all new stuff that matches the style of our new home. I was planning on doing Thanksgiving and Christmas here this year, but that plan went awry. Next year, if all goes as planned, I'll do both holidays. I've gotten all our shopping done online, and my husband will be wrapping everything. He is also the designated post office line stander-usually I do that, but this year he gets to have that pleasure...........lol. He stopped by yesterday but the line was sooooooooo long he decided to go back today. I told him the line won't be any shorter today, but he had several other places to go, including the hospital to pick up a prescription, so decided to try again today.

Mentally, I'm raring to go, other than needing sleep, but physically.....................:sigh:
 
Just take all the time you need, Kim. This surgery has been a real humdinger and it's probably going to take longer than you'd wish but, hopefully, it will be worth it in the end.

Rest and nap. Your leg has a lot of healing to do.

I haven't put up any Christmas decorations this year either, since we're going away - but I miss them, so I'll try to find just a little something, as a token for the season.
 
I miss them, so I'll try to find just a little something, as a token for the season

I will be putting up one thing-a Christmas wreath for the front door. Right now there's a fall wreath on the door, but even I can manage to remove the current one from the wreath hanger and put the new Christmas wreath in it's place.

Just take all the time you need, Kim. This surgery has been a real humdinger and it's probably going to take longer than you'd wish but, hopefully, it will be worth it in the end.


I agree, Celle,and I will take whatever time I need. My long term goal is to walk as much as I like without the constant pain I had. Right now I can't tell at all whether or not that pain is gone, but over time it should become clear.
 
Sorry you are not sleeping well, :bored::tiredwheel::mcoffee:.
My husbands back is bothering him, so we just decorated our tree with the decorations in the red box.

Here are some decorations for you to enjoy.
baby-jesus:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::santa-dance::wreath: and last but not least :xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
 
Just happens to be the color of one of the boxes we keep our decorations in during the rest of the year. It was the easiest to reach, so it is the one we used to decorate.
I also have my mothers small tree with little Christmas ornaments she received from her friends, our Christmas penguins, and my Christmas trolls.
 
It seems as though you all are much smarter than I am. I've decorated it all. It's taken forever to complete and I'm paying the price in swelling and pain. Oh well elevation / ice and Netflix and all is well.

Recovery is a bear - I don't think anyone ever realizes how tiring recovery is. Naps are essential.

Feel better.
 
One month today. The steri-strips finally all came off tonight. As usual, it took them a month! I'm not saying whether or not they had any help with their demise, but I will say they are all gone. The thigh scar is so long-and it still hurts like the dickens. It has gotten a smidge less painful-instead of a 10 all the time, it averages around an 8, and I still get a little time where it hits a 7-ish, although any movement where I forget to relax my leg or set it perfectly as I move will send the pain to a 10. I can lift my leg a bit now, but don't dare do it as it causes horrible pain if I do. I'm guessing because he cut through the muscle, any use of it causes that pain.

My lower leg doesn't hurt much, so that's not been difficult. I get occasional zingers, and some little aches, but they're manageable.

I still don't sleep, except in fits and starts. What's not helping is I naturally turn over to my right side when I'm asleep, and bend my knee a little. That causes a lot of pain on my thigh and some on my knee, which then wakes me back up. I just can't find a comfortable position to sleep.

My knee area has decided to get even more swollen and tight, so the bend is even worse than it was, but I know that's a result of the surgery and should eventually reduce. I am walking a little bit better now, but can't walk far as the pain hits like crazy after a bit, plus I can feel it tighten and swell, which causes more pain again, so I stick to short walks around the house a few times a day, plus bathroom trips, and trips to the kitchen.

I totally missed Thanksgiving this year, and now will be missing Christmas. We're invited to our daughter's, but I just can't go. Her bedrooms are all upstairs, and her staircase is one of those curved double types with a landing halfway up. There's no way I can make it up there yet as I'm still using my walker, and I need to be able to have a place to rest away from the bustle and noise of a family get-together, plus I need to be able to elevate my leg. Her toilets are the lower kind and I still cannot get up from ours, which are the taller style, so still have to use the over toilet commode at home. I thought about it, and decided it's all just too much.

I still have my eye appointment Tuesday and am going to try to make that one. We'll see if I can manage it. I haven't gone anywhere yet, and it's a long drive so I may not make it.

This recovery has been a lot harder than I expected; I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park, but had no idea how painful and hard it was going to be. I'm hoping since the pain level has dropped a smidge that it will keep dropping over the next week or so and I'll finally be out of pain. It's so draining to be in so much pain, and getting little to no sleep doesn't help.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    scar.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 159
I am so sorry you are in pain and this recovery is so difficult.:console2:
I will say your healing incision looks very good and I'm hoping things ease off for you very soon.
 
What is the saying - slow and steady. Sadly your recovery should be titled Super-duper Slow & Steady. Some of us heal more slowly - I know I fit in that group.

Its too bad you won't be able to go to your daughters house. With stairs it makes it difficult. As for low toilets until you've been stuck on one you don't understand. Some of the best $$$ I ever spent was having the higher one's installed. I'm sorry you'll miss it, but I believe you've made the correct decision.

As for your eye appointment, is it for a problem your having? If it is then I'd try to go. However if its just a routine eye check I'd push it out until end of Jan / Feb time frame. You need to weigh the pain & discomfort vs going or not. Plus with C19 there is always a risk when leaving the house.

Your where you should be in your healing, just not where you want to be. Hoping you can have a better day and some painfree nights.
 
Your incision is healing nicely. Good that your pain level is dropping some. Healing is happening!
 
As for low toilets until you've been stuck on one you don't understand
I got stuck the day I came home from the hospital, so totally get it. I had my home health person order me a commode right away after that. It was horrible as my husband had gone to pick up dinner, and I thought my toilet was high enough, so went to use it while he was gone. I forgot my phone, and could not get up, so had to sit there until he got back home. Then, because I was in so much agony, he helped me up quickly, but didn't position himself well enough so we fell backwards over the toilet into the wall. I'm betting my screaming could be heard a block away!

My eye appointment is my yearly check-up and I really want to go so I don't lose this years' benefit. We pay extra for the premium plan so I hate to just throw that money away instead of getting new glasses.

I will say your healing incision looks very good
I credit that to my surgeon who always takes such great care, and also to the Active Skin Repair Hydrogel as I've been using it on parts of the scar as each steri-strip came off.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You have beautiful skin and I I am so impressed by the healing considering the wound/incision you had/have.

I do hope things get easier quickly my friend.
Just a snapshot in time that will lead to better days.
Healing hugs....
 
Kim,
You are making slow but sure progress, I remember in the early days you only got out of bed if absolutely necessary, and now you are able to take a walk around the house and into the kitchen.

You may have paid extra for eye coverage, wether you go or not will have to be weighed against the cost you will pay in pain and suffering from the ride to and from, the exam, climbing in and out of the examination chairs, etc.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom