Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I had major problems with my pain pills, primarily the oxycodone. Not only did it upset my stomach and gave me no appetite at all, I also got very dehydrated with it and had excruciating muslce spasms. I stopped the oxycodone and my stomach problems went away and most importantly the muscle spasms. I switched to Tylenol, finished out my Tramadol (didn't have much) and things have been much better.

Hopefully your doctor will change out your pain meds. I also use Voltarin Gel which has been a great help to me. This was given to me at the inpatient rehab. I use it sometimes on the pains I get in my calves, thighs and around the knees but not on the incision area. I only use it when something acts up, (normally after I overdo it or just before I go to bed). Definitely well worth asking your doctor about it.

BTW, I also lost 20 lbs after surgery but once I stopped the Oxycodone it evened out.
 
6 weeks post op as of yesterday. I saw my OS early this am-he said my knee was great, my ROM is just a smidge short of 120, but I looked awful and he sent me right over to the ER. They filled me with fluids and anti-nausea meds, took a bunch of tests, then sent me home with more anti-nausea meds and a follow up since all the tests looked good including the CT scan. I have officially lost 20 lbs in these past few weeks and they don't like that so my PCP will be keeping up with me for a while, they said. She already e-mailed me today, and will call in a day or two. Hopefully this medicine will stop my nausea and vomiting, (I was vomiting all morning at the hospital, including during my doctor's appt) and I will get well and strong again.
 
This is ghastly! I wouldn't wish what you're going through on anyone. I and I'm sure the rest of us are all sending good wishes and prayers for you to feel better soon!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Oh my! What a report! I hope the meds work and you can settle down and keep yourself hydrated...and start eating. I will check later.
 
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. I forgot to mention, not only do I need to get well, but I need pain meds for PT and home exercises, and have had none for a week due to my tummy. So, I hope I can get well enough for the occasional as needed strong pain med.
 
What a day you have had, I hope your tummy is feeling better and you can keep things down. (((((Hugs)))))


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going thru. I could envy your weight loss if it was obtained any other way!!! :heehee:

I don't think you should worry about PT or much in the way of exercises until you are better. If your ROM is 120, you're doing fine.
I hope to hear soon that you are much better! :angel:
 
Thanks @VancouverUSAgal and @Pumpkln . I actually ate a small (very small) bowl of my homemade (and pre-frozen and vacuum sealed) navy bean soup for dinner. It was the most yummy soup I've had in a while. It really is a good soup, but tasted better due to not eating lately. A few saltines on the side made for a dinner fit for a queen.....:yes!::happydance:The best part was it stayed down...:yay::spin:
 
More bad news......I spent another day in the ER yesterday at Kaiser, no kidding. I woke up feeling a little better but within a couple of hours I couldn't catch my breath and my hands arms and legs we like lead weights, my cheeks were tingly, and also later at the ER, my jaw kept going strongly sideways and locking. Hubby came home and took me to the ER-turns out after a ton of tests, my electrolytes were really, really low and I also was having a bad reaction to the new medicine from the day before. Came home late last night and am exhausted but feeling better.
 
Thanks everyone, for your kind words and support. Something about this surgery has set off a chain reaction of problems. It's nice that we can all support and care for one another here.
 
I really hope this is the end of your troubles and you can progress calmly through the rest of your healing. Ice, elevate, and rest! And drink....water, Gaterade, whatever it takes.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank-you @waitingtogarden . I am keeping hydrated, surprising the docs. I have to remember to rest daytimes as I don't like to lie down until night normally. I had an app't with my primary doc today and I have to go in on Sunday for more blood work...:bawl::sad::boohoo:I hate needles.....:cry:
 
Glad you are watching you water and getting a blood test.
Take care and start to feel better,
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom