Guest viewing is limited

Hip Resurfacing Lost motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree TiredHippy - Seasonal Affective Disorder. Where are you in the US exactly?

I definitely think if it was I wouldn't have the odd down day but then I would be jealous at all my friends enjoying the sun and going on holidays. I timed mine for November so I could be active by summer though so I can't complain.
 
Spid,

I'm in the lovely P-town, also referred to as "Portlandia."

I timed my revision for next month for the same reasons as you - I wanted to be active during the Spring and Summer. Winter is not my season. I'll be a snow bird and migrate to somewhere warm and sunny during the winter months when I find that lovely beachfront, not so expensive place. Once the hip is better, I'll start exploring.

And it's hard to watch friends going on Holiday to warmer weather. I planned to try and take a short one pre - surgery, but my hip isn't cooperating.

I see you're in the UK Spid - so perhaps we should compare weather. Right now it's gray and drizzling rain. Tomorrow will be the same, and likely most every day for the next 2 months. But we have great coffee and microbrews. Just send the crisps with vinegar!

I'll trade homes with any Aussie who wants good winter skiing, but this forum may not be the place to find them. :)

Happy carb eating!

TH
 
Haha, yeah wet and windy here too. Got some floods down south but I'm in the north.

I too was planning on going on a short break with friends pre op but the hip seized up and there was no hope of it. Hopefully I can make up for it within a couple of months.
 
I have been trying to do farm work this past week,asked the surgeon if that was ok,to which he replied......6 weeks for light duties,3 month for heavy work but it all depended how i felt myself,so i have been feeding cattle again this past week,it does get sore and i tend to hobble after it,surgeon said i wouldnt do any serious damage i would just get tired and stiiff........and he was correct.......im just struggling along to be honest,do my excercises and go on excercise bike as requested by physio.......my family tell me to rest a week or 2 yet.......your opinion? I have been using a fork and doing tractor work,not for long spells i would add...crazy?
 
TiredHippy is right, between the THR Blues, the Holiday Blues and the Lousy Weather Blues, we actually are alot more chipper than we should be:). One prescription for Christmas Cookies coming up

Happy New Year
 
Benz - if you are doing work you really don't need to be doing all that exercising as well. I'll bet you are wearing yourself out! I agree with your family - rest!
 
good, glad to hear.....i would imagine going back to physical work i am going to find it hard for a while......going to have to go through a pain barrier anyway.....right?
 
No - you should not do anything that causes you pain - that includes work. The biggest "barrier" most hippies experience is lack of stamina. This surgery really knocks you out energy wise. You need to work up to your normal level. Start slow and increase or back off depending on your energy levels. But do not do it if it hurts.

BTW - could you please put your surgery date in your signature? Here's a thread that tells you how: How to create a signature
 
Benz, listen to Jaycey. I know, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, and the cows have to eat, but can't someone else do the heavy lifting for a while longer? Your family is right, you should rest more. You shouldn't be doing anything that leaves you hobbling after.
bellaroma Cookies are a great idea, too:SUNsmile:
 
You need to take it a bit easier limping is a bad sign, I found as I increased one activity say walking about at work I needed to make a reduction in some other activity like using my cross trainer as this preserves your stamina. Your muscles also need time to adjust to the new exercise, then you can increase again.
 
limping first thing out of bed,and after driving the car or sitting a while would be expected? soon walks off.........thankyou for the replys
 
Hi Benz

I think you should take a leaf out of my recovery book... and become the consummate lazy hippie for a few days.. The 'no pain no gain' saying does not apply with THR recovery... What's the words of that song... Slow down, you move too fast....'

:)
 
Benz, being a little sore and stiff after sitting or driving seems to be fairly common. For a while, my first few steps would be almost painful, but that would resolve quickly with walking. That's mostly gone now, although I'll notice it if I have overdone the walking---as I did yesterday.
 
My walking varies greatly. I don't really do it for exercise, but when I go to the gym (about twice a week) I'll walk a couple of miles on the treadmill. Yesterday I walked well over 5 miles on trails---I've been going hiking at least once a week; I had not been able to do this for several years, and I love it. Unfortunately, I have some back problems, too, so I may have reached my limit on the distance.

I also try to get a good bike ride at least once a week (10-15 miles, no real hills here in Florida) and I use the stationary bike for half an hour when I go to the gym. Bike riding seems to do my hip more good than anything else.

I go kayaking a couple of times a week, too---and of course that involves loading the boat on top of my car, unloading, getting it to the water, etc. etc. Good bit of activity there, as well as the upper body exercise that kayaking involves.
I haven't been doing my PT exercises lately, as I am extremely active and the workout I do at the gym duplicates a lot of that anyway.

Unlike you, I am retired, thank goodness. I'm sure I would not have done nearly so well if I had to keep to a work schedule.
 
yep, attending to work and not fully fit aint alot of fun..........hopefully every week it will get easier
 
benzscotland, it took me about to the 6-week point until I was really able to stay seated for more than a half-hour without stiffening up a lot. Not sure I really limped if I sat too long; probably more like a "shuffle." That's why I set a clock alarm to beep every 30 minutes, reminding me to get up and walk around (my job is a desk job). Now I no longer need to do that, but I try to anyway. It does me good to move around more, rather than less. I think that's likely true for most people, whether they're recovering from surgery or not.
 
yep I agree with you MaxBuck, moving is better. Such a grey area there for me, deciding when to rest, when to be active, am I sore because I've over done it or sore cause I rested too long......:hairpulling:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom