Guest viewing is limited

Hip Resurfacing Lost motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah the eternal quandary about the early post-op days - trying to find a happy medium. Sadly the truth is that there is no happy medium because every day is different from the one before. Don't fret, you will find it settling down eventually. Just go with the flow!
 
Walk, exercise, rest... even elite athletes rest themselves, as Jo indicates (and she knows you know :) It will settle down, you are in recovery Benz :)
 
For me the limping comes when I have overdone it, stiffness varies and some days Im sure its the weather. What is clear is as the weeks go one I can do soo much more than I could before, and I am almost completly pill free. Although if I do the gym or a PT session with new movement I do take some anti inflamatories just to help.
 
Happy New Year, with our new hips
[Bonesmart.org] Lost motivation
 
benzscotland, the one way I have been able to cope with the post-op blues and subsequent frustration because I am not where I think I should already be is to focus on my long-term goals. I have discussed returning to fast pitch softball and Crossfitting with my OS. He has agreed that I could return (as tolerated) at the 24 week (6 month) mark. Today is 8 weeks down, 16 to go!!!! Working on my squats in PT. This move is the cornerstone to almost every activity in Crossfit, so I feel that even this little baby-step is progress toward my ultimate goal.

Happy New Year!
Tammy
 
Fed the cattle this morning on my own,mainly so son and father could have a bit of a rest for a change,managed no bother at all,good to do it,helped the negativity going on in the brain and made me feel like i was doing something worth while again.Long way from being fully fit i would have to admit,weak but have to try.......
 
That's great way to start the New year and must help with the lost motivation.
 
working better now,nothing to do with hip but would love an opinion on a lump that does come and go on top of first joint of the big toe,on opposite leg to where hip was done.......im dreading athritis....anyone had experience of that?I have had it for a while,just seems to be getting worse.thanks
 
Do not know about the lump, but glad the farm work is going well, and you are able to get the work done as well as take care of yourself
 
benzscotland,
What Is Gout?

Gout is a painful condition that occurs when the bodily waste product uric acid is deposited as needle-like crystals in the joints and/or soft tissues. In the joints, these uric acid crystals cause inflammatory arthritis, which in turn leads to intermittent swelling, redness, heat, pain, and stiffness in the joints.
In many people, gout initially affects the joints of the big toe (a condition called podagra). But many other joints and areas around the joints can be affected in addition to or instead of the big toe. These include the insteps, ankles, heels, knees, wrists, fingers, and elbows. Chalky deposits of uric acid, also known as tophi, can appear as lumps under the skin that surrounds the joints and covers the rim of the ear. Uric acid crystals can also collect in the kidneys and cause kidney stones.

Just Google it and find out more.​
 
I cant get over the amount of what i would call young people in here have had hip ops...i guess in days gone by people would just have taken pain relief and hobbled on as long as possible......so it kind of makes you thankfull to get the chance to have it fixed....
 
The Drs still don't suspect arthritis in younger paitents and some believe that replacement surgery should be the last resort when all else fails. Hobbling round in pain for anyone old or young should not be acceptable.
 
benzscotland, the pain from gout can make what most people experience from their hip seem minor, during a severe flare. I've had success moderating its effects using cider vinegar and tart cherry juice.
 
Your comment on "young people" having THR is valid. We are living more active lives these days. Out living our joints I guess. My OS said at 59 year of age I was young for THR. But as you say - thank goodness there is no age limit to this op now!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom