Lost in the wilderness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26 It's not really helping, I'm still only getting about 3 or 4 hours sleep a night. I am either waking up with both legs bent up or both bent to the side. (I was an odd child and slept quite happily with my legs crossed-yoga-style) - That habit has seemed to have returned and no matter what I do I can't break it. It was suggested it could possibly be muscles?

I've requested another appt with my surgeon on the 24th a few weeks before my THR - I'm confused and not quite clear as to what's happening, also recently admitted I'm having anxiety/depression issues because of the AVN. Quite a hard thing to admit - cried in front of GP, I don't do crying, not in front of strangers. His secretary was very kind - I'm just not sure what I should be asking. My GP started me off with a list of questions she wrote on my phone - has anyone got any suggestions?

Also thinking about what clothes to take into hospital, I'm hoping to stay in the hospital gown as much as possible, but obviously they make you get dressed and jeans aren't and haven't been my friend for a while. I was thinking leggins, joggies or linen trousers? Any help with that to would be amazing! :)
 
murrinholi Sorry it did not help. You don't need more pain.
We all have anxiety/depression in our lives, especially when facing surgery plus symptoms we don't understand. I did not realize just how depressed I'd been until after the surgery. In retrospect I should have asked for a referral to someone who could help me, and not just pain pills, which I received. Many antidepressants are also used for pain relief. While you wait for surgery get the help you need to handle this. I wish I had.
Did your GP give you a list of questions about surgery? I am not clear on what you need to ask about.
As for hospital clothing, my hospital did not allow you to wear anything except the hospital gown-two of them, one that opened in the back and one in the front. Since I am fairly tall I felt rather exposed, but since you come out of surgery with tubes, etc. they didn't want patients changing into their own clothing. I have read that others bring sweat suits. I would not bring jeggings, or anything made of spandex. My surgeon suggested all cotton undies and pants that were loose. You will probably have some swelling so jeggings would be uncomfortable. I also purchased elastic laces for my sneakers, and that was terrific. I was able to slip my feet in and out without help. If you have precautions after surgery you will not be able to bend more than 90 degrees, so anything to make shoes/socks easier is good. Check with your surgeon about clothing and precautions. They should offer you a pre-op class that covers all this.
Keep in touch if you want to run questions by me or just want to talk. Others helped me enormously and am happy to pass if forward.
 
about the hospital clothes...I went to a 'class' offered by my hospital specifically for the joint replacement unit. I was told to bring a change of clothes to go home in, something loose and comfy...or I could steal a hospital gown! But was reminded that you are discharged thru the front lobby so the "exposure level" was up to me!!!!

Please don't be upset about crying in front of your doctor...when I found out I needed THR I had a massive panic attack including hysterical crying. Believe me that is not me, but it was that day and at a later appointment he did mention that this attitude must be "the real me"!
 
Thanks LeeApril26 & flowergirl -GP suggested I compile a list of questions to as the surgeon (I am not sure if there is anything specific I should be asking), my GP's list of questions;

- anesthetic - pain management technique.
- What kind of material will both the cup and the femur and acetabulum be.
- How many operations do you do a year.
- Is there an alternative to the RAH? (hospital that scares me.)
- What post op care is, in your opinion is more beneficial me.

Awoken after three hours sleep, the pain was intense got up to go to the loo and it felt like my bad leg was shorter. It really bloody hurt to put weight on it -- I know August is not that long away but at the moment, it seems like forever. It's getting ridiculous the last proper, full nights sleep I had was in May! Should have begun this post with moan a lot, but wondered if any you AVN people have an idea what's going on with my leg? Is this just what happens?[/list]
 
murrinholi. His questions are good but you can add some if he doesn't bring these up.

First ask what kind of approach he does: most common are posterior, lateral and anterior. The kind of approach doesn't seem to matter after six months, but it does matter in the first six-eight weeks because some impose restrictions or precautions.

When you ask about post-op care, ask whether or not there are precautions, whether he recommends any PT. some have physical therapy in the hospital only, or there could be at home PT, outpatient PT or both. PT seems more common in the US.

If I think of more I'll let you know.
 
murrinholi. I meant to add that you may feel shorter because of the degeneration of your hip. I know the pain is hideous. The only thing I can say is you will wake up with it gone.
 
Poppet Josephine or LeeApril26 or anyone else, since yesterday I've had a high temperature of 38.7, while I've had the usual painful joints/being cold etc I feel fine otherwise. My hip has been increasingly more painful, but not sure of that's because of the wide spread joint pain (because of fever) - or if its possible for a joint with AVN to become infected?
I'm stumped why or where this fever had came from.

Thanks for your suggestions too have written them down.
 
also recently admitted I'm having anxiety/depression issues because of the AVN.
What is it about the AVN that's causing you to be anxious?
Also thinking about what clothes to take into hospital,
Most hospitals require you to get dressed when you get out of bed, resuming the normality of life! For this take anything you find comfy: track suit, short skirt and top, shorts and top, anything. Shoes/slippers should be the 'granny' type that stay on your feet - not mules.
BTW, these articles will be helpful
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
A comprehensive list for hospital and home
since yesterday I've had a high temperature of 38.7 or if its possible for a joint with AVN to become infected?
Not it's not. It's entirely possible you might just have caught a chill, you know!
the pain was intense got up to go to the loo and it felt like my bad leg was shorter.
That's not uncommon and could be due to either of two things:
1. your pelvis has tilted to try and accommodate the pain
2. the head has flattened out which would also account for the increase in pain. But don't get in a bate about it. It's not nice but it's scheduled to be dealt with anyway, isn't it?
 
murrinholi just catching up here. I hope you're all right-- been a while since you posted? I have not had your kind of pain from my hip, but I do know well that chronic pain can cause depression. I am hoping that with the absence of my right hip pain, I will have enough energy to deal with any depression that may sneak in from other stressors in my life-- I'm already having more energy than pre-op, and I'm only 8 weeks!

I was told I didn't need any clothes except those to go home in, as I was anticipated to spend only one night, which was the case in the event. I had a t-shirt and a very voluminous sundress/jumper(pinafore?) to slide over the t-shirt. It was the perfect thing to wear, and I stuck with it for a couple of weeks later on in recovery, after the weather (and I) warmed up a bit. My other basic was the same t-shirt style and a pair of velour yoga pants. After I was done with those two, I moved into my regular summer linen wide-leg, elastic waist trousers, long and cropped. I had anterior approach, which meant that the area I needed to protect is in the front, not along the side/back.

Hope we hear from you soon :)
 
Thanks for the reply guys, as always.

Josephine It's not so much the AVN or the fact I am having major surgery next month, it's more to do with the fact that I cannot walk any length of time, I cannot stand. I can't work, I can't go out with friends, because the pain often overwhelms me, I can't get in and out of a normal car. I can't shave my legs, nor stand to cook meals.
More recently however the thing that has been getting me down and making me cry, is the fact my hall and spare bedroom need a fresh coat of paint. Before the AVN started, I would have done it myself easily. Now, while my head is telling me I can 'still' do these things, my bones and my parents aren't.

I suppose the loss of independence and having to rely on others is tough to swallow for me, I've always been independent. In admitting I needed an extra bit of help I have been given medication, its helping. I'm glad I swallowed my pride and admitted I needed help, it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but I'm proud of me for doing it. My head now feels much more clearer, and I can focus a lot better.

As for the fever, I saw my GP - turned out my glands were swollen, and my throat was red-raw. I didn't feel a thing, to me, my throat wasn't sore. The curse (or advantage?) of severadol & MST.

zauberflöte Depression is a hard one, I'm just glad I had someone to talk to. I initially didn't go to the doctors about that, I was still in denial, still thinking I wasn't depressed and I had to 'man up' and deal with it. My GP asked how I felt, so I said I had been sore, then she said "No, how are YOU feeling" - I burst into tears. Anyway, onwards and upwards. How are you finding recovery?

I saw the surgeon yesterday, he was incredibly nice and helpful. I spoke to him about the other hospital, the Golden Jubilee and the fact that they inject local anaesthetic into the wound to help with post op pain. He said he used to work at that hospital and had done that many times, in actual fact he was trying to get it implemented at the RAH, but it was hard jumping through hoops to get it put on the hospitals formulary, he was however going to try and get some to do for my op.

The date of the op has had to be changed, so I'm being admitted on the 16th of August, for surgery on the 17th. I spoke to him about the kind of material used for the THR, he said he would choose a ceramic ball joint with a 'plastic' cup for me. He did say he wanted me to research the other available options out there and if I felt strongly about another material, he would do it. Which I thought was really cool, his openness for suggestion (rare within the NHS).

I dunno, what do you guys think?

I told my dad about the surgeon's suggestion, his reply was "That's what they make joints out of for cars, ceramic balls going into a plastic cup" - good to know from an engineers stand point LOL

It felt like a really productive meeting, he was really nice and I feel confident in his ability now, he also said I will have a curving scar down the side of my backside - not sure what the proper term for that approach is.

I went on a mini shopping spree last weekend, bought some loose fitting clothing, baggy t-shirts, a long floaty dress, shorts, socks etc. My friend told me I probably wouldn't change out of the hospital gown, as hospitals are really hot this time of year (they don't turn the heating off), but thought I would get some stuff just in case.
And as Josephine said, many hospitals want you to get dressed, as soon as you're able, during the day. That has been my experience too.

Anyway, thank you to all that have taken the time to read this huge essay, sorry I have been absent, I had been finding it hard to concentrate. I spent the whole of yesterday helping in my Parents Garden, nothing quite like picking potato's and cabbage and having them for dinner.
 
murrinholi Thanks for posting! You have been having quite a time of it, and I'm glad you're getting help and feeling better. I'm proud of you too! :) Moreover (and this is a big one), in only three weeks you'll be staring your surgery in the eye, and that's a Good Thing!!! The bone-on-bone pain will be gone, and the surgical pain is managed with medications, and goes away faster than you might think.
After surgery, it's best to continue asking for help-- "get me my ice pack and pain meds, could I have a cup of tea, no wait I want ice cream LOL, please fluff my pillows, where's the tv remote" kind of thing. As the days go by you will feel more and more independent, and at that point you really have to discipline yourself to not do too much! Bask and luxuriate in being helped and served-- it won't last long, i can tell you that!:wink:
Sounds like your interview with your OS went well! He will be doing everything he can to make this a good surgery for you-- and he's good at it. Regarding implant materials, I just let it happen. Often on here the advice is given, just to let the surgeon make the decision as he's the one who had had experience with whatever he's giving you. So I didn't find out untill 2 months later that I have an uncemented stem, with ceramic-on-plastic for the ball and cup. And a screw holding the "cup holder" (highly technical term there...) in! Cool looking on the xray LOL.

I think the name for your approach is postero-lateral, but I'm not putting money on that. I had anterior, which is straight down the front, short and sweet. it all depends on what your surgeon wants to do.

I'll bet your shopping trip was fun, and you can always wear the clothes at home even if you turn out not to need them in hospital. I really didn't need clothes, as the focus the day of surgery was on keeping me comfortable and getting me to the bathroom when I needed. Clothes would have gotten in my way in bed. The second day I asked if I should get dressed, and they said that was ok, so I did. I was feeling much more alert by then (had general anaesthesia...)

You sound like a strong person-- you will not believe how good you feel ater surgery's over!

As for me, recovery is going very well, thank you! It's a roller coaster, but having hung out here for a few months I expect that, so i know it's normal to have good days and then bad days. The good days are always better than the bad days are bad, if that makes sense. The progress is always upwards and for the better, even if i am in a downswing day at the time.

Good times are a-comin'!!!!!!!! :)
 
murrinholi. Glad you posted. Good for you. Asking for help is very hard. I share your pre-op incapacity. It drove me nuts not to be able to do anything-even sitting hurt. I was so angry at the situation, and depressed as well. The great thing is that I woke up in the recovery room with no pain. All gone. There are bumps in recovery, especially when you feel good and want to move when you are supposed to rest, but the euphoria of being able to do normal things is incredible. Yesterday I was bubbly because I could shop at a big box store, load and unload the cart, and get it all in the car. Not too dramatic but just the thrill of being able to do it after so long.
Good luck with all this. Glad your doing better, being able to cook and eat food you've grown is wonderful.
 
I'm glad I swallowed my pride and admitted I needed help, it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but I'm proud of me for doing it.
And so you should be! :thumb:
he said he would choose a ceramic ball joint with a 'plastic' cup for me. He did say he wanted me to research the other available options out there and if I felt strongly about another material, he would do it
Ceramic on plastic (or ultra molecular highly cross linked polyethylene, to be exact!) is good. Actually, they're all good. No Rolls Royce vs bangers!
 
Hey Poppet I'm doing okay, just woke up with a painful leg spasm but had a very productive day.
Managed to go to the hospital that has given me panic attacks on numerous previous occasions, this time I was totally fine. The hospital has changed a lot -- and as odd as it sounds the energy has too.
So I seen my occupational therapist, she was lovely, she talked things through with me, gave me a big shoe horn, a grabber thing and a cool thing to put socks on with. She's also arranging for my house to be adapted, chair raised, loo seat raised, some kind of Zimmer frame with a table thing so I can make a cuppa tea and push it into the living room & a whole lot if other things. I can also take my phone and laptop into hospital which is awesome. :D

So it's two weeks today until my op, I'm still looking forward to it in a sense, but also nervous. I'm lucky I will have my mum to help, but the thing I know, and she has mentioned I am going to find hard is accepting help. I find it impossible to ask anyone for help, mum has offered to shave my legs & help with house work etc and I've yet to take her up on that offer. I am hard headed and have thus far adapted and been able to do most things myself. So in a few weeks I am going to have to go against my nature, sit back and have someone wait on me hand and foot. ~ I'm trying to deal with that in the weeks leading up to the op.

I've also decided to decorate my room/hall/living room. While this will be a test for me, in the sense of watching someone else doing the work I have been told that I am crazy, wanting to have something like this done so close to the op. I just can't sit around twiddling my thumbs for the next two weeks. I want to get things done, to keep my mind busy; in part because I don't want to wind myself up and scare myself too much about the operation.

Regardless, it's not long. What happens at a Pre op assessment? Blood tests etc?

I hope you're doing okay Poppet
 
Hi there murrinholi, my that two weeks will fly... What a good idea to redecorate your room, great project to be creative and keep that busy mind of yours occupied.

Accept your Mum's help honey, it is a very special gift that a mother can help her grown up daughter and an even more special gift that you give back to her by accepting :)

Here is a link to the library article re pre op interviews...

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pre-op-interviews-whats-involved.13327/

Hugs
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom