Lost in the wilderness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
murrinholi, I contracted Chronic Kidney Disease as a result of the being prescribed NSAIDs.. now have it for life... and I am under the care of a Renal Specialist. They monitor my kidney function every three months!

However, this was all known prior to my surgery, so no anti-inflammatories were used, and antibiotics were carefully chosen to ensure they were not metabolized in my kidneys and post op pain meds were carefully chosen :)
 
Just remember, that your body is in control of your recovery.. We can assist it, but it won't be hurried along otherwise it sure lets us know..

Recovery from a THR is a marathon, not a sprint, and slow and steady will win your race

I used these words as my mantra.. it does work, it stops us from overdoing it, and helps with the inevitable frustration and gaining a new skill - patience.

You will do just fine :)
 
I had kidney problems as a child, kidney reflux or something? I can never remember the proper name. I've had neurological problems since I had a fall at 17 - still undiagnosed, and still annoying me. I have a great deal of muscle pain/spasms and now I don't know if it's related to AVN or neuro-? Doctor's aren't really bothered about finding out what it is, and I'm fed up fighting them, from the first symptom they prescribed NSAID's - my stomach protests greatly now.

That is a very good mantra Poppet can I adopt it? I'm sure I remember mum saying something like that before. Mum is (hopefully) planning on coming to stay with me once I have my op, and my boisterous black Labrador will stay at her house with dad. As for trying to stop the cat laying ontop of me at night, that will be a challenge.
Mum is a retired nurse, who spent most of her career in a rehab ward for the elderly, she isn't sure if and how caring for someone differs in age, Josephine could you perhaps answer this please?

Feeling really quite scared, having all this hanging over my head, one hurdle at a time though (if only) - mainly speaking to my G.P tomorrow about asking for the hospital I mentioned before. As much as I'm trying to stay positive it's hard, I keep thinking of 'what could go wrong'. I'm also finding myself downloading tv programmes and films to put on my tablet to take with me, I'm not sure if that's a silly idea? I've not even got a 'date' yet. I just feel if I have something to, not necessarily watch post op but listen to it would pass the time between physio/sleep.

Again, thank-you everyone, you are all fantastic; caring people for taking the time to answer!
 
murrinholi, yes of course you can adopt it darling. Anything that helps to prepare you for surgery.. it is true...

The Pre op fears and the lead up to surgery is the worse time. Once you have had the op, then you will find your thoughts are all about recovering and you will concentrate on that.

Go with the flow, share your fears with us because most if not all of us have gone through them.. I hope you get your date soon :)
 
murrinholi download away! I don't own a smart device, so had to resort to "organizing", which satisfies my soul. I made a 3-ring binder and wrote all my questions in a section, saved handouts, etc. I think it's nesting of a sort. Your anxieties are totally normal :) And, we have all stolen Poppet 's marathon quote:heehee:
I too hope your date materializes soon! Stay with us and ask away; play on other people's threads, make some new friends-- it's a ggreat bunch here :)
 
murrinholi Bringing your tablet with shows and headphones is a good idea. hospitals can be noisy and if you can't sleep you can watch something without disturbing roomies. You might also search for relaxation CDs for those prepping for surgery. Peggy Huddleston and Belleruth Naperstek are good. I used both. I was an anxious mess and they really helped. Good luck.
 
but I am not sure about the etiquette in asking my GP to be referred there
murrinholi I think this still applies in Scotland but you have the right to choose by law - it's called The Patient's Charter. See this NHS choice: Patient's Charter and your right to choose. Just tell your GP this is where you want to go and he has to refer you there. Another of our members, Tykey went to the Golden Jubilee and was full of praise for it.

As for the 'new' procedure, it's been in use for some years now and good because it means you need less anaesthetic (general or spinal) and the effect is quite long lasting - about 36 hours - so though you get pain pills after, you don't end up being frantic for them!
 
Thanks for the reply Josephine I saw my GP. She said that because the Jubilee doesn't have an outpatients department she can't refer me, but said she would write a letter to the surgeon I have been seeing.
His secretary called on Friday, offering me a slot on the 12th of August - at the hospital I don't want. I told her about my concerns and she e-mailed him, saying he should phone me back. I don't know what to do now, I just want this over with. I couldn't walk last night, literally, even with the crutches and that scared me. The pain was awful, and that's with me taking 60mg MST a day and 10mg severdol every 4-6 hours. Probably shouldn't have agreed to that op date, apparently I've to be in hospital for 5-6 days.

Really confused, and pretty lost at the moment, I really want my life back, I want to do the things I used to do. It's really quite depressing being stuck at home and dwelling on the fact I need a new hip -- I am aware things could be a hell of a lot worse. I'm just confused.
 
Oh they have a page about broken link removed: https://www.nhsgoldenjubilee.co.uk/patients-and-visitors/your-rights/patients-rights/ on their website!

I suggest you see which of broken link removed: https://w.nhsgoldenjubilee.co.uk/services/orthopaedic/consultants.php are local to you so you could be referred to him. Talk with your GP about it.
 
aw murrinholi I'm confused along with you! I hope that Josephine's ideas bring good fruit very soon! :) Hang in there, I know you're in a great deal of pain... shall I turn cartwheels? No? Thank you! *whew*:rotfl:
 
Hi - I had a hip replacement, with spinal and sedative combined (not general anaestetic). They said they would inject additional medicine in my spinal before removing it - which provided and lasted 12 hours post surgery. I had absolutely no pain. I haven't heard about injecting it into the hip itself - would think after it is replaced, that it wouldn't do anything? I'm not an expert though. I just know my own personal experience. Post-op pain is very different in that it is mainly the muscles and incision that hurt and leg becomes stiff. All improves over the first 4-5 weeks; and is managed quite well with ice, elevation and mediction.
 
Thank you zauberflöte me too.

BionicWoman2 I'm hoping to have a spinal too, the idea with the local anaesthetic (I believe), is that it is injected into the muscles and surrounding tissue once the joint itself has been replaced. From what I have heard, and speaking to my ex (his dad has a hip replacement at the golden jubilee), is that the hospital stay is only 3 days if all goes well. Whereas this other hospital are saying 5-6 days, while I have tattoo'd Poppet 's mantra on my brain, and understand slow and steady wins the race, I would like to find out if this is a better operation for me.

I'm going to moan a little, it's just shy of 5am and I have woke up in pain, it's like all the muscles in my thigh have contracted, I woke up with my bad leg bent up, and pain from my hip up to my knee and down the inside of my groin. This has been happening quite a lot recently, is it something I should be worried about, has anyone ever had an similar experience?
 
murrinholi. You may be having muscle spasms. I did. The PT I was seeing then explained that as the hip deteriorates the muscles have to work harder, and some go into spasm. My piriformis muscle did, and it was very painful. If that is happening you need to rest as much as you can. Found alternating moist heat and ice the most helpful. Not continuously, but maybe 15 minutes one hour would be heat, and the next hour ice.
I have no medical training so could be wrong, so check in with Josephine if it continues.
 
I am on my phone so haven't read all the posts, however I think the discussion is around the type of surgical approach.

Once the surgeon makes the incision, the process is still the same as any other approach. Bone is cut away, bone is reamed, prostheses are still hammered into place.

So the body has to heal from all that trauma and that takes time. :)
 
Two week course of Valium to see if this helps, wasn't my usual GP and he suggested it may be the MST morphine that's causing this muscle cramp/pain, odd thing is its only in my thigh muscles in one leg, the bad leg; which has been getting progressively worse. Nobody really seems to know anything about AVN or bother to find out. (Except my usual GP) I guess I will try the tablets and ice/muscle rub.
Got the letter confirming the date I go into hospital today, that along with a really bad experience on a hospital visit with a family member; a particular nurse was judging me because my pupils were small, therefore only one conclusion was reaches. When I'm sitting you wouldn't know anything was wrong... Some people, mainly senior nurses need to realise that things aren't always as they seem. :(
 
murrinholi. Getting judged/diagnosed during a hospital visit seems harsh. How could the nurse do that-many people take morphine or other drugs for illnesses that are not visible? Never occurred to me that my pupils must have been dilated.

Glad you reached your gp. Hope the Valium helps.
 
murrinholi man, that was indeed harsh on you. You would think the staff would stick with what you're there for, which is THR, and your meds list, which would openly include that morphine! Poor senior nurse, hope she doesn't have to deal with her own THR any time soon!

How's the valium going? It's a great muscle relaxant :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom