Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Shortie that a good 12 week progress report apart from a few glitches along the way. Isnt it nice to have a night out without all the drama of a painful knee and actually standing up properly when youve been sitting for a while. It put me off going to the cinema for life when I almost fell on the man next to me when getting up to go the loo. And then realising there are no hand rails in most cinemas so had to limp or fall down the stairs. I spent a lot of time in the loo dreading going back. It does get better after twelve weeks and the results are even better. Now you dont have to worry about the return to work for six weeks you can relax, enjoy the gym and see that knee getting stronger and stronger. Good Luck and Take Care.
 
Yes robynhood so nice to go out and not have to pre plan every manoeuvre! I know what you mean about no handrails at the cinema I had to use my 10 yo son as support to get out of the cinema a couple of weeks ago - the cinema guys were patiently stood waiting to tidy up while I was very slowly getting down the stairs - sitting near the top had seemed a good idea at the time lol but as I say it was a couple of weeks ago I am hoping next time I will sprint out of the cinema!!!

OK so I have had another bizzare thought / anology! Just after getting in bed last night knowing that I would go to sleep (for those early on in TKR yes sleep DOES return - I didn't think it ever would but it does and it is so good sleeping every night!) I was thinking about my TKR journey and I thought it is just like giving birth! It is painful, long (although giving birth not quite as long as TKR recovery!), scary, a bit gross in places but the results in the end are so worth it!! Lol

Happy Tuesday everyone

Shortie x
 
Yes Shortie cinemas are defnitley not people friendly. As for the baby analagy. Yes after giving birth six times i can see your point. And yes I am defnitley at the point where I say it worth it. Hmmm think the kids might be a bit better looking than the scar at the moment tho.
 
I am pleased to say my knee is starting to feel reliably better - what I mean is that most of the time although still and a bit achy it is much happier most of the time. We went to my daughters school music concert last night and for the first time in such a long while I felt normal, no crutches, no significant hobbling which anyone who didn't know would notice. It was great even went down the stairs (not very deep steps) to the hall one step after another without a sideways shuffle and not needing to hold on to something for dear life!

My first appointment with my GP referral personal trainer at the gym yesterday was just all paperwork and measuring - including my body fat percentage OMG!!! HOW MUCH FAT!!! I now have a starting point and come 9am Monday morning he will have a suitable workout arranged for me for my induction with the gym equipment *note to self - DON'T get carried away and do too much!

Right got to pack for my two kids who are off the cub / scout camp this weekend - a weekend without BOTH kids what will we do (sleep probably lol)

Happy Friday Everyone

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie, how did you get on at the gym? What sort of things have they suggested for you and how did you get on with it on Monday morning? I hope you had fun without overdoing things.
Hugs Toothfairy x :dancy:
 
Hi Toothfairy the gym is great - the guy who is my personal trainer for 12 weeks is trained in GP referrals as well as a personal trainer. I saw him once for all the paperwork etc. then did my induction on Monday for which he had prepared my workout. Which is as follows.

6 mins easy walking pace on treadmill
5 mins low resistance on elliptical trainer
Chest press 7.5 kg weight 12 reps x 3
Upper back pull 7.5kg weight 12 reps x 3
5 mins Exercise bike low resistance
Gental squats with big exercise ball behind back 12 x 2
4 mins Recumbent bike level 3 resistance
4 mins recumbant bike level 2 resistance
Then some calf raises, toe raises, one leg stands, and heel toe walking
Gentle stretches

All good been twice so far - every other day so off again tomorrow.

In some ways I would love to do more BUT I am being sensible and NOT overdoing it! I am trying to spend more time on my feet through the day just to prepare myself to return to work.

Hope everything good with everyone

Shortie x
 
That all sounds really good. A good overall mix of exercises. I hope you are enjoying your child free weekend.
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
Hi Everyone!

Not been on her much lately due to lots of reasons (nothing bad at all) but mostly because I have been more active and just haven't had so much time sitting down! hurrah!

I am doing my gym workout every other day, I am back following the Slimming World diet (or fat club as it is known in our house!) - not going to meetings but just back doing what I did in the past when I lost loads of weight in 2009/10 it's just a shame I put it all back on over the last couple of years but never mind I have started again and have lost 6lbs so far so I am hoping that I can get back into my uniforms when I go back to work so I have one less thing to worry about!

My knee has started to be shaped like a knee again and only swells in the evening if I have been on my feet a lot. I am trying to be up and walking / standing more through the day just to condition myself to get back to be able to work and be on my feet all day.

At 12 weeks I was really not ready for anything but (and yes I know Josephine and others have told me all along) just a couple of weeks later and I really feel I have turned a massive corner - the only thing I have to keep telling myself is DON'T do too much too soon, I am desperate to up my gym programme but I will be good and see what the personal trainer says on Friday when I see him next as to what I should increase and by how much. So I will carry on with what I have been given and will do the odd extra bit but without any strain on my knee - I have done a Pilates class last week - the instructor got me a gym ball to lean over for any kneeling exercises so my knees were not on the floor at all. I also went swimming with the kids yesterday - hurrah I have some life back!

I am trying to catch up on everyone's posts but there are so many BS is such a busy and valuable place. So I hope everyone is getting on well and I was one who thought the rollercoaster of TKR would never end and whilst the ride hasn't finished for me it isn't quite such a bumpy ride and there are even bits of the ride I am now enjoying!

Shortie x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
Shortie, what a great update. So happy things are going so well for you and that you are back into living your life. Congrats on the 6 lbs. loss!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
 
Hello Everyone,

I have just been reading lots of posts and whilst I cannot add anything that the fantastic moderators have said - I can soooo empathise with those with the first 12 weeks of recovery, so here are my views of my recovery ......

There was such a build up during months and months to my TKR. I tried all sorts of conservative treatment all to no avail, and all to confirm the need for a TKR rather than other treatment. So "At Last" I was booked in for my TKR and there was so much build up to the final thing my knee needed.

Despite being told quite frankly about what to expect from the new knee, despite being told how long and difficult recovery (total 1 - 2 years) and despite my lovely Orthopaedic Specialist nurses words to me on discharge of "the easy bit is done now - now starts the hard work of recovery" I was still in this lovely bubble of "Hurrah I've got my new knee it is all good now"

Then recovery started! OK for the first 2 - 3 weeks I was expecting a struggle and then I had just blocked out all the advise from OS and everyone at BoneSmart and had in my little bubble that I would be fine and once the wound was mended and the post op pain (I really hadn't thought of bone drilling, hammering etc. despite being fully awake during the op) was gone I would be all good.

If you have read my thread (and I don't expect anyone to as it is mostly drivel) you will know I have struggled - looking back I really haven't struggled with my recovery, from reading other people's posts mine has been really good and I am at a good place for 14 weeks, but I have really struggled with my expectations for ME! Nothing that had happened had been medically drastic or even medically exciting really quite mundane HOWEVER... My TKR has been the main focus of my life for so long, every day every activity has been consideration for TKR first and it is so difficult for little things to be blown up out of all proportion until Josephine et. al. have calmed me down, grounded me, given me a kick up the backside and told me to be realistic where needed - and it has been very much appreciated.

So where am I now?
I am at a place where yes my knee is achy when I have been sat in one position too long and I have to have a bit of a hobble to get going. Yes I can feel my knee most of the time. Yes I do think about if I can do something without causing problems. I have more and more days without painkillers. I am going to the gym. I can think about and get back on a diet. I can 'Just pop out' if I want to. I am looking forward to going back to work. My knee isn't all I think about.

During the last few weeks and months did I ever think I would get to this point? To be honest I did think I would be here (or even better) within a month of the op but during the months before a final decision to do the TKR and the since the month or so post op honestly the answer is no, it was so difficult to look past the everyday trials and tribulations, to look past the here and now BUT that was then.

So what is this rambling all about? I hope it can help someone look past their everyday trials and tribulations, not to panic, to listen to advice given by those fantastic moderators and to know it does get better and that there is life outside the TKR bubble.

Right I am off to the Gym!

Have a great day everyone

Shortie x
 
Love this post Shortie. Everyones recovery is different and for people struggling its nice to hear that yes recovery is long and something you can't simply rush there is light at the end of the tunnel and I think a LOT of people never regret having the op done. Sometimes when Im having an "achy" day I take it easy and always remember that awful bone on bone pain of the past and in my eyes anything is better than that. Thanks for sharing and I hope your recovery continues to progress well. Have a good day. Take care.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
Shortie, it is just so GREAT that you have now reached the point that you can see how far you've really come since surgery and have gained an overall positive view of the whole thing. I just love to see a fellow BoneSmartie "get it" and be able to share "it". And things will continue to get BETTER and BETTER!!!!
 
:goodpost:
This is a great post Shortie,
I am so glad that things are going well. Enjoy your new found freedoms brought to you by a combination of your new knee and your own hard work throughout your recovery.
Have a great weekend, hugs, Toothfairy x :thumb:
 
Well I haven't popped in for a while I am glad to say it is because I have been so busy :)

So where am I well hopefully next week occupational health will clear me to start back at work :yikes: :dancy:

I have had the odd wobble when I thought oh no it is painful again there must be something wrong had a bit of a panic and then realised that I had just entered the ODIC and not taken any pain killers! Doh! Do I ever learn? Lol

So what am I doing 16 weeks out?
I am having days of being very busy for example last Friday I started the day at 8 am going to the cash and carry to buy 150 burgers and buns etc. then made decorations for daughters birthday cake, then went to the gym (more detail in a bit) then helped set up and BBQ said burgers finally stopping at about 8.30 pm and to be fair knee was a *little cross by then! Then Saturday was woken at 6am by excited 13 year old birthday girl, quick opening of presents, trip to local Special Care Baby Unit where she was born (premature 31 weeks wt. 3lbs 5oz) to take them a birthday cake which we do every year to say thank you, back home then baking all morning, preparing BBQ for family, setting up tent for birthday sleepover, picking up teenagers, feeding teenagers and finally sitting down at about 9.30 pm! So Sunday I could rest...... Well no trip to local animal centre for a birthday meerkat experience. I was due to go to the gym again on Monday but I did for once take the sensible route and did nothing but rest!

My gym routine has increased slightly not sure if anyone is interested but this is what I am up to in the gym at the moment
5 mins walking on treadmill
10 mins elliptical trainer good pace keeping heart rate at about 140
3 x 12 repetitions 10 kg weight chest press
3 x 12 repetitions 10 kg weight back pull
5 mins resistance 5 exercise bike
5 mins treadmill 5% incline at 5 km / hour
3 x 12 squats
3 x 10 heel raises
3 x 10 toe raises
30 seconds balance one leg with other leg swinging repeat other leg
5 mins rowing machine
4 mins elliptical trainer resistance 3 heart rate aiming for 120
4 mins elliptical trainer resistance 1 heart rate gradually slowing
Stretches
Finish

I was using the recumbant bike as my cool down which had been good but last week I got an odd pain lateral tibia below prothesis which was there when I peddled and stopped when I did so I didn't risk it, left it tried again next session same pain so ditched the recumbant bike!

So that is where I am still not perfect and dont expect it to be for quite a nwhile but it is getting there.

Hope everyone is getting on well.

Shortie x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
Shortie, I'm exhausted after just reading your post. Great to see that you can do as much as you're doing without having to take a week off:heehee:. Keep up the good work!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Shortie,
How are you doing? From the post above you seem to be doing marvellously. I am really pleased for you. Your gym routine sounds really impressive and quite exhausting. :yay:
Have you seen occupational health yet?
I am well and truly back at work and feel like I have never been away. I still aim to cycle on my exercise bike every day ( I manage to do it most days) and am swimming a couple of times a week. I am still slowly losing weight and have half a stone to go to my target weight ( possibly slightly more as we were away on holiday last week).
I am fitter than I have been for years, an unexpected consequence of TKR. I am waiting for my date to have knee two done. I had my Pre op done at the beginning of June but still no date.
I do find it harder to make time to post now but hopefully if we post good news from later in our recovery it will help those who come along behind us.
Hope things are still going well for you,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :) :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Toothfairy I am continuing to get on well - it is not yet perfect but then I am only at 4 months post op!! The knee still feels different but then it might always feel different who knows as long as it works it doesn't really matter!

I went back to work yesterday. I am on phased return so did all of 6 hours which to be fair was enough as my knee this morning is a bit achy but it managed really well and even my brain worked after 9.5 months off - after I had been ther 20 mins it didn't seem as if I had been away. I have reduced my hours big time at work so I will be building up over next few weeks to be doing one long 12.5 hour shift per week this reduction in hours wasn't just for my knee a big reason was for improved family life - well life is short got to enjoy what you can!

I am still going to the gym regularly and my workout has increased very slightly with the odd exta minute here and there but much the same as before. I did have a few days off from the the as I got bitten between my toes on my TKR leg and my whole foot swelled up like a water balloon (couldn't get my shoes on!) and went a bit red so being a bit twitchy about infection etc I did have a course of antibiotics.

The only slightly negative thing is that I don't think I limp but walking any distance in a straight line or when I am a bit tired other people notice that I do limp but it is a small price to pay for being able to walk and get on with life!

I am really back to living life - popping off here and there and yes if I do too much I am a bit achy BUT I am no longer thinking can I manage to.... I just do it - although not been on the kids trampoline yet I still think things like that my be a bit silly :whistle:

Hope everyone else is getting on well x

Shortie x
 
:goodpost:
Hi Shortie, what a great report. You sound so well. Congratulations on surviving your first day back at work. It is a big milestone.
Your bite sounds nasty, I think you were wise to have some antibiotics.
Your limp may improve in time. It might be worth seeing a podiatrist in case some orthotics might help. No harm in having your gait checked by an expert. I had some orthotics before I had my knee done. I am not currently wearing them as I am not sure if they would suit my new knee. Once knee two is done and I am walking properly again I am planning to see him and be reassessed to see if I need any more orthotics.
I am delighted to read how well you are doing and I am really happy for you.
Have a great weekend,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Everyone! I've not posted for a while so where am I?

Tomorrow it will be 5 months since my TKR (counting in months now rather than weeks!)

I have gone back to work and for various reasons lots of which were nothing to do with my knee I have cut my hours to 11.5 hours a week which is one long shift 07.00 - 19.30 a week (with the potential to pick up other shifts if I want to / am able to). I have had 4 weeks of phased return where I did a 6 hour shift, a 7.5 hour shift, a 7.5 hour shift with an early start and a long shift and I actually managed really well, I was 'supernumary' however due to staff sickness it didn't turn out that way, my long day was also a very busy shift (I work in A&E!) but my knee was fine, although my brain was a little tired after 9.5 months off! Lol

So am I completely pain free and fully mobile? No! Yes knee does ache and I still have pain if I twist my knee. my ROM isn't perfect 90 ish degrees so going down deep stairs I still look a bit odd. cycling I am still struggling with a bit just to get my knee over the top of the pedal - I am considering crank shorteners - has anyone had any experience of these??? And I still can sit with my legs crossed or up to one side of me when I sit on the sofa, which peeves me a bit. But I am functioning in life so it is all worth it.

I do have days where I think should I get a review? As I have a pain medially on top of tibia it my knee doesn't stay in alignment and my TKR joint says it has a ROM of up to 140 BUT then I think I am functioning leave well alone. I still have another 7 to 19 months of recovery to go!

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie, what a great progress report. You are doing marvellously well. :goodpost:
I am so pleased that you are settled back into work and that things are going so well.
I have no experience of crank shortened so can't help you with that.
I still have the odd aches and pains but nothing that stops me getting on with my life and like you I am delighted with my new knee and the improvement in quality of life.
I think we need to remind ourselves as you have done that we are not quite at the half way mark for the anticipated year to get fully recovered and as we know no one has told our knees that they will recover fully in a year! They will follow their own path. :yes:

Enjoy your improved life and remember to rest when your knee tells you that you have pushed it too far.

I am getting close to 6 months post op and in the last few days there has been a reduction in swelling and an improvement in shape. I haven't been doing anything different, I think it is just time.

Have a great bank holiday weekend and make the most of the end of the school holidays.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :bicycle1:
 
Back
Top Bottom