Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Hi @Shortie thank you for this. Bizarrely my appointment is with the actual stand in consultant who did my op. It is at a different hospital where he is usually based. I never met him prior to the operation, or after because of the fact he was a stand in. The appointment came in today's post for the 6th May, thankfully.

I had mine done on January 3rd this year. I am feeling better in some respects bit now I've had enough. It's quite a relief that my appointment has come through the post. The only thing is that it says with Mr S or one of his team. I don't want to see one of his team so I shall tell them so on arrival that I want to see Mr S and no one else. There's no point in going otherwise. I will ring them on Monday and see if it's possible to sort this in advance rather than me demanding on arrival. I don't want to do that but if that is what it takes then that's what I shall do.

It pays to post your down days because too many people don't and this gives a false representation of recovery. People need to know that sometimes recovery is slow. They need to know that down days are normal and part of this. Yours is twelve months now. It would do people good like me who is slowly recovering to know that this happens.

Take care Shortie love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
My appointment next Thursday can't come soon enough. I really really struggled at work yesterday and had to sit in my car for a few minutes to summon up the energy to drive home as my knee was so painful (I had a little cry too :boohoo:)

I am really hoping something can be done at this point wether it is replacing the patella, MUA, arthroscopic/ open removal of adhesions even if he says it needs a revision I just hope that there is a solution to make it better.

I do believe that something can be done as I have read so many BoneSmart threads and I know that although things are pants at the moment it isn't the end of the journey - so thank you all for giving me hope and information.

I hope everyone has a good week.

Shortie x
 
Hi @Shortie I'm so sorry to read that you are suffering. I know exactly where y are coming from as for seeing the OS again. I can't wait for a week Tuesday to come even though it's in a different hospital in Birmingham. Apparently this is the hospital where he is based, he was just covering at the hospital where I was when he did my knee. I never met him before or after the op so I don't even know what kind of a person he is or anything! That makes me nervous but I need answers. If he fails to give them to me, then I will ask for a second opinion. Like you I'm terrible fed up with the pain, lack of straightening, not being able to drive or go to work. I had my op done in January!

Good luck Shortie. Would you let me know how you get on please. I've had it on good authority to go with a bullet point list of your problems and how it affects you when you see him or her.

Take care and stay in touch. You can pop across to my thread anytime if you need some distraction. On my thread people have posted pics of their grandchildren, pets, holidays the lot. There is also a lot of useful information where people have had different experiences some good, some not so good, some off to a flying start only to fall back again.

It's lovely to hear from you. Please take care love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxox
 
Dear Shortie you have so much courage I am a little lost for words. Our recovery story has been so different ...and sometimes when I'm a bit sooky about my knee feeling a 'little stiff' after overdoing something I honestly think of you and other bonesmarties whose 'real' recovery has taken so much longer and has been an ongoing trial that test their will and spirit.
At those times I say a prayer that soon you will have your answers and have the life you deserve with a body that is pain free. Cry ...that's okay but do not lose heart, your answers will come. Bless your heart Shortie.

Hugs :friends::flwrysmile:Gami
 
@Nana moon 27 I have my fingers crossed for your appointment I hope you can get sorted as soon as possible - at 4 months post op hopefully they will have some answers for you. Yes I try to do bluet points as I am such a rubbish patient and as I am a year and a bit post TKR I have accrued a lot of bullet points to ask!!!

@gami thank you so much I am so pleased you are getting on well with your knee it is a real inspiration to me that a TKR can and does work properly and gives me great hope for my knees future - I don't really think I have courage I am just so bloomin stubborn and don't like to give in!

Anyone reading this who don't have their own thread or don't put 'stuff' down I would highly recommend it as it really serves as a great reminder of what has happened and when so it is a great diary (with dates!) if you need to look back for the good or the bad or if you need information to take to future appointments - BoneSmart Rocks!!

Shortie x
 
Thursday is coming fast, looking forward to reading what the consultant has to say about your knee. Hope you find some answers to the problems you have with your knee.
:flwrysmile:
 
Freddy the Frenchman worked a miracle today. He lay me on my tummy and massaged and pummelled my leg. He had to stop a few times cos it hurt, he told me to warn him if it got really bad and he'd stop. He got my knee straight. When I rolled on to my back and sat up it wouldn't straighten on to the bed! Anyway he pummelled and massaged my leg and had to stop and use acupuncture on some of the very painful areas on the knee. He got it not quite straight that way but leant on it and said that it was good news that there was still "give in it". He has asked me to ask my husband to do gentle pressure how he does it every day. I have another appointment in June next x x x he wants me to text him next Tuesday how I get on with the consultant x
 
Well today was the day of seeing new OS.

I got there and the Doctor I saw wasn't consultant and I thought here we go again BUT the doctor I did see LISTENED to my history, LISTENED to what is happening now, he then went and looked at my X-rays which were made available from my original hospital, he then examined my knee looked at extension (which is good) and then the bend when I bent it as far as I could he said "is that it?" He thinks it was at about 70! He gave the joint a good wiggle about testing for stability etc. talked about what he was doing and what he was finding - joint all is stable and alignment good. He then went and looked at my X-rays again with the Consultant and came back and TALKED to me!

What he said was that on the X-rays there were some things which he said that if were on someone's X-rays who had no symptoms then it wouldn't be a problem, however he noted my femoral implant might be slightly too large which may be due to original OS having to decided between sizes to fit me, he also said there was a slight anomaly on below tibial plate which if had been on one of their patients they would not necessarily do anything about just keep an eye on it. I think he also mentions other things which he said was just really nit picking.

The plan is that I have had some blood tests as they want to rule out any chance of infection (I have a few episodes of very hot flushes / sweats August time last year which GP thought might be hormonal but wasn't hormonal!) combined with areas of my scar which are still a bit red and wider that other parts. I am going back in 2 weeks to discuss the next step. He did discuss possibilities depending on bloods, But is a bit if and but until I go to next appointment. After he finished I was able I to ASK ALL MY QUESTIONS which he gave me answers to if he had already answered them before. Then as I was leaving the consultant popped his head in and in the quick conversation we had he obviously had an in depth conversation with the other doctor and examined my X-rays too and knew the plan sympathised that my ROM is so pants and said see you in a couple of weeks.

It was such a relief to be listened to and not dismissed and what was said to me has given me great confidence in them that they will do everything possible to improve my knee and although I don't have any answers yet I have confidence that they will find out the best option for me.

Shortie x
 
Oh @Shortie what wonderful news that you've been listened to. I feel so much better now about seeing mine who did the actual surgery next week. I am the opposite to you my bend is very good but my straightening is pants!

I am more pleased for you because something is being done about your situation xxxx well done xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxo
 
Great news Shortie! All anyone wants is to be listened to! Glad there is a plan!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Excellent! Who was the consultant you saw? I know some of them at the N&N
 
Thanks everyone it is great to be listened to and to have how my knee is feeling considered rather than how the doctors think my knee feels! I look forward to my next appointment in a couple of weeks- I have renewed hope!

It was Mr. Edwards at Addenbrookes in Cambridge @Josephine apparently they get lots of referrals for problem TKR's.

Shortie x
 
He has a good record - in 2012 he did 136 primary knees and 13 revisions!
 
@Shortie, Always remember
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
 
Hi @Shortie Thank you for your support the other week. I went to see the OS today and had a good result. I feel like I was listened to. Looking at your bullet pointed list really helped me out things into order. I'm so grateful for you sharing that. I hope that mine will help someone, sometime too. I had an X-ray and blood test as they're looking for infection. My follow up is next week, yes next week! Wow! I feel so much more positive than I have been.

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Ooh we are matching @Nana moon 27 I had bloods last week and having follow up next week! You are welcome any help my ramblings make to anyone is good , just as I have got so much help from others.

I am having so much problem sleeping at the moment any painkillers I have which actually reduce the pain significantly make me a bit wappy and cause insomnia so although the pain is reduced I lay awake until 4 or 5 in the morning thinking some odd stuff!!

Hopefully there will be some answers soon for everyone who needs them!

Shortie x
 
Hoping for answers for both of you soon!
So glad that both of you were able to facilitate productive appointments with your OS.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Shortie the OS was amazed when I told him I don't sleep even though I'm taking morphine and paracetamol. I think we have a similarity there x x x x plus the pain comes through it in the night anyway! X
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom