THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

Today I am an official 2-week "graduate!" They've not been the 2 easiest weeks of my life, but I'm here, stronger, improving daily (or so my husband observes), and really beginning to get excited at the prospect of living life without that immobilizing pain!!! Sometimes I'm completely taken by surprise that my screaming hip pain is gone - anyone else have that experience? Just laying here right now, thinking about how "peaceful" my hip feels - it's amazing!! No, walking on it isn't easy just yet, but how many wonderful people are here on the forum, reminding me that as the days and weeks pass, I'll soon be just as busy as I ever was, and now without that horrible bone-on-bone pain!!

@Chihuahuan - PT was here today, so I brought up what you'd mentioned. She agrees that that is most likely the cause of my latest set-back - a strain on those muscles that are still very much in recovery. Attempting to do too much, too soon, she told me I'll need to govern myself and reassured me that ice and rest were my best friends. (She also did a gentle massage of the area. It felt so soothing!)

@Cynthia777 - I've ALWAYS loved going for a full body massage, but typically it's mainly just your neck, back and shoulders!!! Who would've guessed that having your recently-operated glutes massaged would actually feel wonderful?!? :heehee:

@froggymom - Well, as you and I both learned the hard way, unfortunately the steroid hip injection just couldn't give us any relief (and brought with them a few unwanted side effects on top of it all!)... but at least that informs the OS that the next step will need to be THR. I hope you're doing OK and able to manage life as you wait for your appointments. Praying a special prayer for you! xoxoxox

@BizzyLizzy - Thanks for the welcome to post-op week 3, Liz! Sometimes it's almost impossible to tell if I'm progressing - one day just seems like the next, today feels just like yesterday.... but my husband was making a list of all the things I wasn't able to do just a few days ago; then my physical therapist came to the house a bit later and did the very same thing in the form of an assessment of how far I've come! I guess sometimes we just can't see the forest for the trees! :-) I think I'm now beyond the set-back, the symptoms have abated, and now it's a very cautious onward and upward!!! Thanks so much to you and all who regularly post their progress, their disappointments, the ups and downs of this journey - those of us following in your footsteps are ever so grateful to know it's ALL part of the process!!

@JMACCA - As you continue to read about the variety of recovery stages, how all of us are coping, dealing with and healing individually (and by our own hip's dictates), you'll be well and ready to handle everything coming your way in a few short weeks!!!! We'll be cheering you on!!!!
 
Just laying here right now, thinking about how "peaceful" my hip feels - it's amazing!! No, walking on it isn't easy just yet, but how many wonderful people are here on the forum, reminding me that as the days and weeks pass, I'll soon be just as busy as I ever was, and now without that horrible bone-on-bone pain!!

Isn't that just amazing! From someone who hasn't had the recovery pain that you are experiencing it is comments like that which make the wait for surgery and the temporary pain that we will experience post surgery so worth it...keeping our eye on the 'prize' of continuing our lives free of this horrible pain. It is so important reading these threads, reminding us of where we are and why we are doing all of this. Thank you!
 
@DizzyBlond I am glad you are feeling better. It is a bummer that recovery can be so challenging but, I want you to know that hearing of your ups and downs will be a blessing to me in the very near future I am sure. I will read through yours and others recovery posts and recognize the challenges that I too will most likely be experiencing and be able to keep things in perspective and know that there is hope. Thank you for sharing your experiences so that others may benefit. Take care of yourself and try to find some peace in the rest that you need. Life will be busy soon enough most likely with more to do than time to do it. I hope that when the time comes and you are once again rushing along with daily life that you , and everyone here going through these challenges will be rushing along free of chronic pain. Hugs to you.
 
@DizzyBlond Hey Lady! I hope you are having a wonderful, pain free morning! Thank you for all your great posts. It is good to read everything is going relatively well, with a few small setbacks.

I love the part about your peaceful hip. hehe. I had told my husband a few months ago, even when I am just sitting and it is not aching, I am always "aware" of it. It never feels like it is right. So I totally would love for it to be peaceful.:)
I see a chiropractor twice a month and have a massage. He and I have decided that it might help my thigh to start having a massage now there to loosen up the muscles in the months before surgery as I cant really stretch them out atm. It is good to hear that it feels good to do that after surgery also. I will keep that in mind. :)

I am doing a lot of sitting around these days and Netflix binge watching.(I'm training for recovery I guess)
Maybe we need to share the shows we like. I have gotten to the end of a few I like and need more to watch. LOL I have been reading a bunch also and of course hanging out here. ;)

Dont do to much today! Take it easy and rest. Nothing is as important as letting your body heal. Hugs
 
I saw that several others had their first post-op checks today, as did I - I find it completely fascinating how protocols vary from OS to OS! I'm including all that I was told today, simply so others coming along behind will see that though there are sometimes big variances in how surgeons dictate their patients go through the recovery period, if you know you're being cared for by a capable and reputable OS, you can feel comfortable with the post-op calls he/she prescribes for you!

My recovery seems to be going a bit slower than others that I've been reading on the forum, but it's not the speed of recovery that is important, as our dear @Cynthia777 keeps reminding me; it's simply complying and cooperating with your body, listening to when enough is enough, and resting, resting, resting!

Today was my first outing since surgery, and I was especially nervous about navigating the large medical center in order to get to the Orthopedic Dept! There were plenty of wheelchairs available, so walker in hand, my husband wheeled us through the maze of buildings and got me signed in for my appt. Sitting in that large clinic with so many others on walkers, crutches, in wheelchairs and sporting fancy scooters, I suddenly felt like a member of a club I never had made plans to join! Here we all were, whether it was due to accident or wear-and-tear... bones and joints that needed the expertise and help of surgeons to get back to normal! I can't say it enough - to not be haunted by that horrid hip pain day and night is like a miracle, and it's a club I'm so thrilled to be a part of!!!

My OS was happy to see me doing well. He reviewed my x-rays, showing me the changes that occurred from the time of January's films to the x-rays taken just before surgery. He was amazed at how quickly the joint simply collapsed, going from a somewhat normal joint in January to bone-on-bone in July, stating that there was no doubt the surgery was absolutely necessary. He removed all the staples, giving me the green light for SHOWERING!!!! (Anyone else looking forward to the feel of water rushing over you from head to toe after 2 weeks of spit baths? Full submersion (swimming, bathing) in 2 weeks. :bath: Ahhhhhhh.........)

I thought I'd mention a few other details, just in case they might be of interest to others... again, pointing out how differently things are done from OS to OS. I was hoping to get the OK to rip off the compression stockings, but I will be wearing them for another 2 weeks. I'll be on the Warfarin (Coumadin) for a full month, as well. (This must be a big thing for my OS - I have a blood draw 1-2x a week to make sure my blood is nice and thin! They adjust my dose with each draw.) Since I'm on the Warfarin, I can't take ANY NSAIDS - no motrin, aspirin, etc. I was concerned that once I'm out of the small bottle of Percocet I was sent home with from the hospital, that extra-strength tylenol wouldn't be enough; he assured me I'd have pain meds for at least the first 6 weeks. I'm sure I'll be using them less and less as the days go by; but on the other hand, I WILL take them as long as I need to remain comfortable, knowing that my body will heal best when it is most comfortable. (PT told me once pain goes above a 4, it needs to be treated.)

Along with the "DO NOT FALL" command, he wants me on the strict dislocation precautions for 6-10 weeks. (That's fine - I'm getting quite accustomed to them, and as much as I was dreading the whole "back sleeping only," I've figured out several ways to get quite comfortable. (LOTS of pillows is the secret!!) It's all very do-able!!!
He wants me in out-patient PT right away in order to correct the gait problems I acquired during the time I was walking/over-compensating with the right leg. I realize that "to PT or to not PT" is a topic for discussion on this forum brought up quite frequently. I've decided that I'll go and see what they suggest. I'm not opposed to PT if it's going to help strengthen muscles that have gotten weaker since the onset of the pain, but thanks to so many things I've read here, I'll know that I can indeed say NO if I ever feel I'm being pushed.
I'm to stay on the walker until I've been assessed and given the OK to move to the cane - his nurse told me some pretty sad stories of patients who ended up with a permanent limp because they moved themselves forward too soon.

He reminded me that though the incision was small (about 5 1/2"), the surgery was BIG, and I need to allow my body the time and rest it needs to recover from such a traumatic ordeal; I once again heard, "You're only TWO weeks into this - don't push!!!" I must look like I'm chomping at the bit!! (I'll see him again and have x-rays in 4 weeks.) With steri-strips over the incision, all other bandages/dressings off, we walked out of the office, and I walked myself (with walker!) all the way to the front of the medical center! (I'm all about celebrating little victories!:yes!:)

@Wrknitout - I have to say, it was when I discovered this forum and started reading about others' roller coaster rides throughout this recovery period that I felt prepared for the inevitable rough days! If in turn my little story can in any way encourage you, my heart is happy! I am definitely taking your advice and taking it easy today!! (I was exhausted after this morning's 3 hour outing!) If there's anything I'm learning through all of this, it's the importance of listening to when your post-surgical body says, "WHOA!!!!" I've never been one to enjoy naps, but this whole experience has given me a new appreciation for them!!! :-)
Tomorrow is almost here, my friend! I'm excited for you to be able to begin your journey towards recovery!! As wonderful as it is to walk with others who are having surgery as we've compared stories, experiences and feelings on the pre-op side of things, it's SO great to be together on the recovery forum! And that will be you, tomorrow!!!!! Please know that prayers are being lifted up for a smooth and uneventful surgery - just think - this time tomorrow, it will be done!!!!! Love and prayers are going with you into that OR!!!

@Tweetybrd - Isn't it interesting that we just KNOW when something isn't right? I felt exactly the same way!!! Early on, before I ever was referred to the OS, I remember saying over and over again, "Something is just not right in there!" I guess when you begin to lose the ability to walk, you know SOMETHING'S got to be up!!! I did lots of resting once they started investigating my hip - in fact, I became pretty much house-bound by March because walking more than 10-15 minutes became impossible, so, like you, I got in some good "practice" for recovering from surgery! :-) (I think I've scoured Netflix from top to bottom!!! Everyone has such different tastes when it comes to what they watch - what types of shows do you enjoy? My daughter-in-law suggested a few that I wouldn't have expected to enjoy - and thanks to the ability to watch one episode after another, she got me totally hooked!!)

@Nana2-8 - I should have known you'd be up at the crack of dawn, plotting out the day, just these few days post-op!!! You are amazing!! Yes, today we ARE one day closer to our normal lives!!!! Hurray!!!! Despite the harder aspects of recovery, it is an amazingly wonderful feeling!!!!
 
What a lovely update @DizzyBlond! Although tiring, didn't it still feel good to get out of the house? At some point during my early recovery I remember getting REALLY bored (I was so tired of tv) and being so excited to go for my OS appointment! Just getting out of the house really lifted my spirits. You're doing just fine and I think in about a week or ten days, you will see a noticeable improvement in your recovery. I kind of remember making very good progress at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks and 3 months. Of course we all heal at different rates (even my own two hips were different), so your timeline will be somewhat different than mine. Thanks for sharing your first
post-op appointment with us! xoxoxo!
 
Good morning, Sunshine! How did I miss you post-op update yesterday? Thanks for sharing all the info you are an inspiration to all of us. Unlike you, I've always enjoyed even a short cat nap....so I am not minding this part of the process. - I hope you aren't anywhere near the Cali fires we are hearing about. - will check in with you later. Xxoo
 
@DizzyBlond - it was lovely to read your update and to know that you're making progress and everything is moving in the right direction. I agree with you that however up and down this recovery process can be, the disappearance of the grinding pre-op pain is absolutely miraculous. It must have been good to see your x-Ray's and to have some reassurance from the OS. It seems we wait a long time in the UK for our post-op appointment. It's 8 weeks, which means I don't go for another 2 weeks. I have posted on my recovery thread that I went to see my GP because I was starting to feel in need of some medical input! She's happy with my progress but there wasn't really much she could tell me. I thought she might have access to my x-Ray's, but unfortunately not, so I will have to wait. She did clear me to drive, which was exciting, although I don't plan to go far. I'm still so happy to be able to walk! As I'm now at 6 weeks, I've got rid of the TEDS, which is really the best feeling I've had for a while!
It sounds as if you are doing just great - keep on with your positive attitude and your celebration of small victories and you will see steady improvement as the weeks go by. By Christmas we will be doing (virtual) happy dancing together! :happydance::happydance:
 
@BizzyLizzy My adventure to the OS yesterday wore me out. I had adventure #2 this morning to the Motor Vehicles folks to get a handicapped tag. My photo is over 8 yrs old so I needed to go personally to get one retaken. It was actually quiet in there so they renewed my license also. It took about 30 minutes and I was really ready to come home and take pain meds for my tingly quads, groin, and thigh. Think I need to ice, rest, and recover for the rest of the day --or two!
 
@DizzyBlond where are you? Since your post-op Dr appointment, we haven't heard an update. Have you been strolling the malls? Not outdoors in your heat, I trust. Certainly not languishing in a bubble bath! So, what have you been up to? Xxoo
 
Saturday evening, Post-op Day 18!
I don't think I'd ever stopped to wonder what life would be like at almost 3 weeks post-op - for so long all the focus seemed to be on the main event (THR!!!) and trying to get everything prepared and ready once I was discharged from the hospital and got home!

But now reality sets in! Healing takes TIME, and I'm thinking maybe I didn't quite give that fact the attention it deserved!!! (Those of you still waiting for your THR, be sure you're all "studied up" on healing and activity timelines! Really prepare to give yourself permission to take the time it's going to require to let your body heal from the MAJOR surgery it's undergone! It's SO easy to feel that with every little bit of improvement, there should be a few more chores I could be up and taking care of! RESIST THAT TEMPTATION!!!!! :-) )

Just being able to chart my own progress here on my recovery thread is helpful when it seems like not much is changing! As of today, I'm walking with the walker about 15 minutes in the cool of the early morning, trying to be intentional about lengthening my strides with each step, and finding myself not gripping onto the handles of the walker as much. (Small victories, remember? :-) ) A few times today I caught myself stepping away from the walker to grab something off the shelf, or to open a cupboard, etc. PT told me that as my new hip gets stronger, I'd find myself doing that more and more without thinking about it. Because of my 8th day post-op cane fiasco, I'm so hesitant to move off the walker. My last home PT visit was 2 days ago - she said to just relax and stop worrying about going to a cane, and simply plan on using the walker for another couple of weeks. No big deal. I'll be assessed when I go to outpatient PT - I know I need to make sure my posture and gait are healing correctly after compensating on my "good leg" for all that time my pain was at its worst.

Showering is now getting easier! We've only got step-in tubs/showers, but that's been easy enough to master. The first time was a bit scary... I sat down on the shower transfer chair, and scooted myself back till I could swing both legs over the tub. I've got the hand-held attachment, but it all just felt like so much to try to handle while sitting down, so before I realized it, I was standing up! Now I don't even bother using the transfer bench to get in; I simply step over and in with my right leg (the good one), hold onto the shower chair bar, and simply bring my left foot up behind my left knee and bring it over the tub till I'm standing on both feet. I've found that I prefer standing and have enough strength to balance perfectly fine as I shower - oooh, how wonderful it feels! (The shower transfer chair is right there should I ever feel the need to sit.)

I don't think I'll ever like the way the oxy/acetaminophen (5 mg./325 mg. every 6 hours) makes me feel. Just when I think my body's become accustomed to it and I won't get nauseated anymore, WHAM! A fresh wave hits, and I have to fight the urge to throw up.... SO..... (I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this with any success).....I cut the oxy in half, and just added 2 extra-strength tylenol, and seem to be doing ok. I know you mentioned changing up your meds, @Nana2-8 - how is that working out for you?

I'm thinking of all you, my dear BoneSmarties, and wondering how you're doing this weekend!

As always, thank you, dear @Cynthia777, for bringing sunshine to our lives! I have no doubt this was the very thing you were called to do, you sweet encourager! :SUNsmile:

@Nana2-8 - I'm so grateful for your "check-ins," making sure I'm OK and all is well when I've been off-line for a few days! It seems so much of California is dealing with fires - we've been so blessed to not have been affected by any of them so far. We're in such a severe drought, I keep meaning to put together an evacuation plan, boxing up important papers, irreplaceable photos, etc., for a quick exit in case the hills just up the street from us catch fire. Then there's the whole earthquake preparedness all Californians are so used to hearing about that I think we tune it out! Well, I've got a few things to do once I'm up and running!!!! I'll be checking your thread to see what's new in your lovely, gorgeously green neck of the woods!!!! Want to hear ALL about what's new on the recovery front!!!

@BizzyLizzy - Thank you, dear Liz, for stopping by to cheer me on, as well! I so appreciate your on-going comments about my progress - if I can be doing anywhere near as well as you at 6 weeks post-op, I will be absolutely thrilled!!!!! It is so interesting how post-op protocols vary, isn't it? I'm so glad you GP could at least give you the reassurance that all is well, and has given you clearance for take-off (by car, at any rate)! By the time you see your OS, you're going to have worked out all the kinks and concerns!!! (Maybe he plans it that way on purpose! I bombarded my poor OS with so many questions at my 2 week post-op! :wink:) And I'm SO looking forward to our virtual Christmastime happy dance!!! (Yes, by all means, @Nana2-8, please plan on joining in!! :egypdance::egypdance::egypdance:)

@Chihuahuan - I do hope all is continuing to go well as you rest and recover, ice and take it easy!!

@Wrknitout - Have been thinking about you lots in these early post-op days of yours, praying all is well and that you're making a concerted effort to do absolutely nothing but the smallest essentials! Do catch us up on how things are going when you're feeling up to it!!!!

Much love to you all! :loveshwr:
 
Hello precious girl! You are doing it right...slow and steady and not doing anything that causes you pain. You will get to the finish line in due time. :-)

As far as the Oxy and Tylenol, I'm very concerned that you may be taking too much acetaminophen. Each extra strength Tylenol has 500 Mg's of acetaminophen and your Oxy has 325 Mg's of acetaminophen. Josephine has said to take 1,000 Mg's, 4 times a day and not to exceed 4,000 Mg's per day. I'm not 100% sure, so I'm going to tag a couple of our moderators (@Jaycey @Jamie) to make sure. You definitely DO NOT want to take too much as it can damage your liver! I know for sure that you shouldn't exceed 4,000 Mg's a day, but I'm not sure if it's okay to take more than 1,000 Mg's at one time (I don't think you should, so if I were you, I'd only take one extra strength Tylenol instead of two).
xoxoxo!
CC
 
@Cynthia777 - Thank you so much for watching out for me, girl! I definitely don't want to harm my liver while I wait for my new hip to heal!

Keeping in mind the 4000 mg/day limit of acetaminophen, this afternooon I replaced the 1 tab of oxy/acet (5 mg/325 mg) with half that dosage (which would have provided 2.5 oxy and approx 165 mg acet) along with 2 extra strengths - for a one dose total of 1165 mg. acet.

I'm taking 1 oxy before bed (no more acet), and just trying to figure out how to get enough pain relief while beginning to lower the oxy. If it's too soon, I can wait another week... it's hard to know when and how to do it! I did see the chart on how to begin to wean off the oxy, but I'm not sure at what point this is best to be implemented. Am I too soon post-op?
 
@DizzyBlond you will know if you are ready to come off the oxycodone and go to the regular stuff. I found that when the pain levels were never rising above a 4 that it was time. I think my withdrawal was bad because I had been on it for 2 and a half months before my surgery so it was 3 months when I came off.
But I agree with you that recovery is far better than that corrosive pain that was before surgery and each day of recovery is an amazing journey to travel.
 
Good morning, Sunshine! Thanks for the wonderful update. Regarding the oxy and cutting back....I believe we discussed before ( keep in mind, it may have been during my foggy brain period) that your oxy is in combo with your 350 aspirin. Mine is separate. My oxy says "as needed". And I know my 325 aspirin is my blood thinner which I will take for 30 days....no matter what!!! And truly, but for the first couple days, I no longer feel any pain. There may be moments of minor discomfort, but no pain. Therefore, I've cut the oxy as of last Thursday...and my brain feels so much clearer. I put 8 500mg tylenols in a small cup which I can take throughout the course of the day, as needed. I don't want to be caught " chasing" pain, so might take 2 before my shower, or doing a longer walk, but might take one at another time....never more than the daily max! - Because I have such little discomfort, I need to be mindful not to rush the process as you have pointed out. It is so easy to feel I can do a bit more each day and have to remind myself that I don't want to suffer a set back
So....you just sit your little body down and make your 'evacuation' lists as you gaze over your parched earth and take your time! And remember to check in now and then. Xxoo
 
Robin, of course I worry about you! After all, what Italian mama doesn't worry about her family?!?! :heehee:

Here's Josephine's article on acetaminophen....

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...mol-and-nsaids-differences-and-dangers.12858/

Below is an article that Harvard posted. It actually reinforces what Josephine says in her article, with a few tweaks. Hope this helps. @DizzyBlond, according to this and what I believe Josephine has said to other members, you shouldn't be taking over 1,000 Mg's of acetaminophen in one dose, so the 1125 is too much. What if you drop one Oxy and take two ES tylenols instead. Or take 2 regular strength Tylenol and 1/2 Oxy?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/acetaminophen-safety-be-cautious-but-not-afraid
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom