Guest viewing is limited

THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

@Cynthia777

Good morning, dear friend! I was thinking about you yesterday, and was about to drop you a line before everything got a little busy around here! I hope you're having a lovely, COOL-as-possible last week of July! As quickly as the weeks are flying by, it'll soon be autumn before we know it! YAY!

Thanks so much for inquiring about my current post-op status! Oh, CC, I was doing SO well - maybe just a little too well! So much so that I foolishly decided to push it and do more than my body was remotely ready to accomplish! :bignono:

Three days ago I made the mistake of moving to a cane (so much easier and less cumbersome than that clunky walker!) before getting any sort of assessment as to whether I was ready or not. (It was day 8 post op.) My hip felt fine while I was walking with the cane - no pain or discomfort at all, so I did quite a bit more walking than I ever have up to this point.... No pain, that is, until that night! WHOA!!! :tantrum: I think every bit of musculature in my newly operated hip went on a rampage just to let me know what a bad idea that had been!! I felt like I had lost 7 days of post-op progress!! :oyvey:

Home health care nurse was here yesterday - she thought it was soft tissue injury and that things would calm down after a few more days of rest and ice. But it got me thinking. How do you determine the difference between post-op pain that is serious (involving the the new hardware, etc. :nah:), as opposed to pain caused by too much exertion and just needing rest? Any input would be sooooo appreciated, sweet girl!!

Have a lovely Friday! So grateful for you!! :SUNsmile:
Xoxoxox
 
Awww Robin, I'm so sorry! I didn't stop using my walker for several weeks (until my limp had somewhat improved). From what I've read on BS, if something serious happened (like a dislocation) you would be in excruciating pain. you're really going to have to concentrate on REST! Don't get over zealous or you will end up in all sorts of aches and pains. I would just rest (no exercising or PT) at least until the pain disappears (although I firmly believe PT is not necessary for most of us). I had such easy recoveries and I think it's because I didn't do anything but walk some and increased the walking VERY slowly. I've seen too many members who were doing really well start PT (or up the exercising) and end up with pain again. Then they've stopped PT and have done so much better. I'm praying for you my sweet friend!
 
@DizzyBlond So sorry you have soft tissue problems. I'm finding that most of my soreness is from the OS separating muscle etc.--he warned me about it in advance. As much as I dislike the walker it does support in the right way. Being patient is the key to joint replacement recovery.
I love PT -- we have a PT program at the local university who train students very well in gentle effective techniques. As I have had both a knee and hip done on the same side it needs a professional experienced touch.
 
@DizzyBlond - So sorry you've been in pain. I think the worst part of this recovery business is not knowing how far you can go before things start to hurt. I would agree, from what I've heard that anything to do with the implant would be excruciatingly painful. Everything else is just all the soft tissues going about their healing business and not wanting to be disturbed! It's easy to forget that so much has gone on inside your leg, when all you can see is a healing incision, on the outside. Actually, I prefer it that way - don't really like to think about what it's like inside!
From my experience, rest and ice will help with the pain you've got and in a couple of days you will be ready to try again. In the UK we don't have canes, we come out of hospital on elbow crutches. The PT tried to show me how to convert my crutches into canes, but it didn't feel comfortable. I went from two crutches to one and now I mostly don't use anything, but it was a process of trial and error.
Remember, resting is good and if you balance rest with activity you will start surprising yourself. Resting and sleeping also help to build up your energy levels. You will find that things that hurt only a few days ago start to feel ok and then you start to see that you are progressing - although you will probably still overdo it from time to time. I know I do, but it's all part of the process. Hope today is a better day. :flwrysmile:You are such a positive person, you can tame this roller coaster!
 
@DizzyBlond I hope you get to rest and stop having the pain you are having. You need to take it easy and let your body heal. Easier said then done. That is what I am worried about the most. Doing to much to soon. I know myself and all this sitting around is driving me crazy, so Im sure when I feel better I will think I can do anything! LOL

I am praying for you to have patience with your self today and can just rest. Hugs
 
@BizzyLizzy I've subscribed to a TV streaming network that lets me watch "Vera" while I recover. Is it filmed in your area or further north. I grew up in north Staffordshire.
 
@Chihuahuan - Yes, Vera is filmed in my part of the U.K. Lots of it is in Newcastle which is just over the river from me. All the other scenes are filmed in nearby coast and countryside locations - when we watch it, we keep losing the plot as we try and work out where the locations are! If you have heard of the Angel of the North, which is a big piece of sculpture - it's about a mile down the road from me. How long is it since you left the Uk?
 
There is just nothing quite like the feeling of being met with lots of hugs and warm wishes when I jump onto the forum! My cheer squad at work, and doing it well!!!!

I have to say, after feeling SO great, then making the decision to not use the walker and instead go to a simple cane (and moving about with ease with it for a good 3 hours) - then reaping the consequences of doing so before my hip was ready, I am a bit unnerved!!! I don't know how far to is too far, how much is too much, how little is too little! :what:

Some of your are familiar with the thoughts that come with a pronounced set-back, and I'm guessing others of you will soon come face-to-face with them! It's such strange thing to not "know" your body and its limitations! Patience, patience, patience!!!!

I am still very sore upon full weight bearing, but I know I also need to be up and walking a bit. I've settled on getting out of bed once an hour, making a trip around the house (WITH the walker!), and then back to resting. I'll have another home health care visit on Monday, then see the OS for my post-op (and PLEASE, doctor, may I take these TEDS off now??? Sometimes I think my legs are convinced I'm trying to strangle them!!!! Hehe!!!!) - it'll be interesting to hear what he's got to tell me about the surgery!

@Cynthia777 - Thank you so much for the reassurances!! I breathed a BIG sigh of relief when I read your response! I was thinking that HAD this been some sort of re-positioning of any of the components in my hip, I'd KNOW it! (It definitely hasn't been excruciating, but it was very similar to fresh post-op pain that I thought was long gone, anad that was a bit scary!) Because I can rest without any discomfort, and even stand, very light weight-bearing without any problem, I don't think I've done any serious harm. I keep thinking of the oh-so-many times where I've read on BS that PT is not absolutely necessary - I find it so confusing! The PT who comes to my house has been great, explaining the "whys" of the exercises, etc. I go through the series of simple movements without a hitch - they're very easy and take just a few minutes to run through. (Her approach to PT and each exercise is simply to get the muscles that have been inactive to remember how to move, never allowing anything to cause pain.) But frankly, I think that most of them seemed to be geared for individuals who have been inactive for long periods of time or have atrophied muscles. For me, walking seems to be the greatest challenge of all, so I'll take it in tiny pieces, and see what the OS says on Tuesday! Thanks so much for your love and concern, sweet CC! xoxoxox

@Chihuahuan - Thanks for mentioning your OS's comment about the pain coming from the separation of the muscles done during surgery. I'm certain that's what I must be feeling! Can you describe what that feels like for you as you're recovering? I'm so glad you're in such good hands as you recover from this third joint replacement - gentle and effective sounds like the very best physical therapy! (How is your hip recovery differing from your TKRs?) Yes, I am back connected to my walker, and not letting go this time until I get the VERY green light!!!!

@BizzyLizzy - Yes, yes, yes!!! I couldn't agree with you more! It is SO difficult to imagine what's actually going on underneath that little 6" incision! In and of itself, it doesn't look like anything too big or drastic could be taking place under there, but having watching a THR on YouTube, I saw just some of the necessary cutting and moving of muscles and everything else covering the joint. We really HAVE gone through a LOT!!!!! As I was reading your progression (2 crutches, to 1, to now, sometimes no support at all), I was thinking that you're just barely a month out of surgery! That seems like incredibly wonderful progress to me, Liz! It's so difficult to cooperate with the process of recovery when you're used to being busy - the PT who comes to my house told me that will be my biggest challenge - to change the "if a little is good, then more is better" mindset that I tend to have. I can't push this recovery, and letting the muscles and tissues do their recovery thing is going to be paramount!!! So grateful for your words of encouragement!!! xoxox

@Tweetybrd - I have to tell you, when joint pain has severely limited your life, it IS so easy to want to resume normal life ASAP when that pain is removed! I know you've read so many people talk about the post-op pain being so different that the pre-surgery, bone-on-bone pain, and it is.... but the new pain allows for more movement, and it's just been too easy for me to want to push it just a little bit beyond what I should (not even referring to my episode with the cane), thinking I could fast-forward the healing process! You've got some time to mentally assimilate all the BS mantras, remembering, THOU SHALT NOT RUSH THE HEALING PROCESS! :-) Boy, do our bodies let us know when we've tried to side-step that one! I've been totally resting, disengaging from reality by watching non-stop Netflix, icing away, and getting up once an hour to walk for a few minutes. (Thank goodness for the ability to go online - I don't know how people kept their sanity during long bouts of healing before the days of the internet!) xoxox

@Nana2-8 - (Could we PLEASE change your user name?? I think Dancing Queen would be SOOOOOO appropriate!!!!!) No, this set-back hasn't gotten me down too low! Restless, yes.... but not down. Feeling quite blessed to not be dealing with the depression that seems to be common after major surgery. (And I probably shouldn't have typed that! Excuse me while I go knock on wood! :yes:) Actually, I've been thinking SO much about you, girl!!! 2 days post op and you're out looking for me? Now, why doesn't that surprise me?! You really are something!!! I need to go hop onto your recovery thread to see how you've been doing! Thanks for your love and prayers, my friend!!!! xox

@Sommers16 - How sweet of you to stop by and send your well wishes!!! Today is somewhat improved over yesterday, but as I'm guessing you know from experience, it's hard not to want "all better" RIGHT NOW! :heehee: I want this set-back to be taken care of and done with YESTERDAY! I'm smiling as I realize that as the weeks go by, I'll come back and read the posts about this current episode, remembering how big a disappointment it was, but in reality, how small it actually was in the scope of the big picture! xoxo

How grateful I am for you all, my dear hippie friends from near and far! You each make this journey such a far more "doable" adventure!
:thankyou:
 
Happy Saturday, @froggymom! Thanks so much for checking up on me, friend!! I'm doing OK - and trying to adhere to the truth that healing takes time and rest! I'm so eager to get back to some regular life (even the ability to go run errands and get the grocery shopping done would feel like pure luxury after being stuck at home for so long!) - but in this case, rushing only makes things worse! How are you holding up? Any news as to when your RTHR will be? xoxoxox
 
@DizzyBlond My PT has me walking around the house for about 5 mins every two hours. She has been here most days for about 30 minutes. She works on getting muscles to work correctly again. If they twitch it's time to have a rest or stop.
It's hard to explain the feeling -- it's like an under skin separation. At the beginning it felt like a nerve problem that was easily triggered. I find very light massage, ice, and elevation soothe it. Small steps at a time. I'm slowly starting to have more of a glide to my walk.
 
I am so glad that the set-back was only temporary for you - it is really great to hear about these experiences, THANK YOU! LOL I feel like I am thanking you for being in pain so we can learn from your experience! So sorry about that!!

:loveshwr:
 
Good sunshine morning @DizzyBlond ! Now I have caught up in your journey and will learn from it.....tho we want to be Pros, we really are just Amatures ! Please let's not rush this. We have to hang In there for as long as it takes. And I'm with you....what did others do prior to the onset of the Internet? It's Sunday....we are to relax!!! Got that? Xxoo
 
Happy Sunday dizzyblond I'm glad to hear from you and and totally understand wanting to do normal stuff like grocerys. Slow and steady is the way. My rthr hopefully will be OK end in my September appointment with my is. My injection caused more trouble then its worth it made me sick and a lot of upper hip pain the first night and also I believe it causedy monthly cycle to show up twice and long and worse. And in my back between my hips hurt so bad it makes walking and simple things like using my armed hard. But I'll keep my eye on the prize and take needed steps to get there. Thank you for looking in on me I was starting to feel like the lone ranger
Take care I'll keep you in my prayers. P.s the auto correct always changes my post.:angel:
 
Hi Robin and welcome to the start of week 3. Hope things are progressing well and you're over your setback. So frustrating to feel that you're making progress and then find you need to slow down. In a few short weeks I am sure you will be making great strides (in all senses!) and making a start on those "normal life" things. :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom