Guest viewing is limited

THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

@DizzyBlond - Oh Robin, I'm really feeling for you. In my experience week 1 was rough. Tiredness, nausea etc. and not being able to do anything much at all. When friends came I felt like a useless lump sitting in the chair and when they skipped off to get on with their lives, I felt worse! Week 2 was better and I think I turned my corner at the beginning of week 3. Sleep as much as you can and it really will get better. I remember the uphill struggle of the all over wash and the exhaustion that followed. You did so well to wash your hair. Normal will return quicker than you think and you will soon be noticing the little improvements, remembering how things were getting worse before, but now they can only get better (resisting the urge to break into song here - that would definitely not be good for your recovery!) :console2:
 
You washed your hair? that's amazing! And oh how good it feels to have a clean head. Just rest sleeping beauty. I haven't had hip replacement yet, but I know that the fatigue will lessen over time. Your body needs to rest in order to heal. Oh, and the pain meds are likely to be contributing to the sleepiness, but that's ok for now.

I'll break into song @BizzyLizzy. "The sun will come out tomorrow!" :flwrysmile::cool:
 
So good to see you my friend, but saddened that you're taking one of those all too familiar "one step back" moments. As far as the exhaustion, keep in mind your body just went through major surgery and is trying to heal from all the trauma. All your energies are going to the healing process, so you NEED TO REST, REST, REST. I'm a bit concerned with your description of the incision site being "swollen, warm and red". Have you had your home health care nurse in to look at it to make sure you don't have the start of an infection? The swollen part doesn't bother me, but the warm and red is concerning. Don't worry about emailing me or entertaining anyone at this time. You don't want to end up taking two steps back instead of one! The first week (or two) can be really difficult. Let me know about your incision and whether you've had it looked at (if it's still red and warm). xoxoxo
 
@DizzyBlond Wow! Hang in there! Slow and steady as I have read on so many threads here.

I am worried about my hair as well. I shower and wash it daily. I can't imagine going a few days or a week without washing it. :( My daughter was saying sometimes she uses a "dry" shampoo. I was going to try some of it ahead of time to see if it is something I could use after surgery. LOL. I really got a mental image of you over the kitchen sink with your leg sticking out.

Did you make the ice packs you are using? How are they working for you?
Keep the details coming, I paying close attention and taking notes. :wink:
But first take care of yourself and get lots of rest.
 
@DizzyBlond I really hope that you start to feel better. This is one of the rougher things I have been through. When I broke my ankle, it required lots of bed rest and I spent three months in a wheelchair because my surgeon did not want me walking on crutches.
The energy drain for this is amazing. But I have found that elevating and ice is really important and I don't think it would be wrong to say hi to family and friends then return to bed. :elevate:
 
@BizzyLizzy - Liz, what a sweetheart you are! Yes, you've described me to a tee! Exhausted and ready to sleep at every turn! But you're right - the improvements ARE coming!!! I'm actually getting in and out of bed by myself now (unthinkable just 2 days ago!), coming and going to the bathroom and kitchen by myself.... yes, you're so right - it can only get better from here on out!!! xoxox (By the way, you and @OUCH! make quite a lovely duet, and I very much enjoyed your serenade this afternoon!!! :) )

@OUCH! - Thank you so much for the encouragement and reminder to lay down and stay down! You're right, @belweav, there's no need for me to say much more than hi to passers-by, and then head back down the hall to bed! (I think I've got all the kids and grands talked into coming tomorrow instead of today.... one more day to just simply rest!)

@Cynthia777 and @OUCH! - I'm so happy to report that the incision looks fine! Home health care thinks it could be a reaction to the adhesive, but wasn't concerned that it was an infection. It's no longer warm (maybe I've frozen it! :ice:) or red, but I'm keeping an eye on it every time I'm up! Thanks for watching out for me, girls!!!

@Tweetybrd - Yes, it was quite the sight, me with my operated leg stuck straight out behind me, trying to explain to my husband how to shampoo my hair! My blood pressure has been running low, and I could feel myself getting sweaty and faint (don't try this too soon!!!!), and he had no clue as to what he was doing.... my fuse was a little short, but we got it done! He's been such a saint through this past week - I've apologized a dozen times for needing more ice or getting impatient about one random thing or the other. (Exhaustion and pain will drain the "niceness" out of you pretty quick!) Now that I'm able to do more for myself and am not quite as reliant on him, I feel a bit empowered! :SUNsmile: (Yes, I'm using my homemade ice packs, as well as just regular ones! I think my husband said he's got a rotation of about 6 going on... lol!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OH yes, the mood can get quite grumpy at times! I think it would be wise to warn our caregivers before we have our surgeries! I got so tired of saying, "Honey, can you ....?), so I started devising different ways of posing my questions..."Babe, if you wouldn't mind...., Sweetheart, it would be so helpful if you..." etc. etc. :heehee:

I'm so happy you're seeing progress this first week AND especially happy your incision is doing better! Hugs!
 
@DizzyBlond - Grumpy? Please just check out my thread on divorce proceedings. Fortunately the papers weren't filed and Mr M's and my friendship was repaired. The mix of tiredness and frustration is not a great cocktail. I JUST wanted to do everything for myself and didn't cope with the indignity terribly well, but I learned that this is merely a process and I could live with it because the outcome was going to be nothing short of a miracle. I urge BS buddies to keep a very brief diary detailing what they manage and can't manage daily. It can be a surprise to discover that you DO actually make progress even if it doesn't feel like it. But rather like an extremely astute Buddy noted in this very site - regard this as slow cooking rather than microwave. Things take time. Be mindful that you and your body are going through a great change - rest and allow it to heal. And be kind to yourself :console2:
 
@DizzyBlond , Sorry for not congratulating you on the other side earlier - I've been busy with work. I think you are doing fine. As they say, this recovery thing is a marathon - and marathons need patience, perseverance, and endurance.
The medicine to protect your stomach is important - I had that, too - in addition to my pain meds. And I liked icing. What I enjoyed the most during my recovery period was walking with my husband - first on 2 crutches, then unaided. And the distances increased slowly but steadily. We still walk together like that today. As they say on Bonesmart, walking is all important (other exercises are nice to have but not essential) - it's also great gait training (which you need if your muscle atrophied because it wasn' t used for a while). Of course, if you are exhausted, you need to sleep a lot first so that you have the strength to walk. Happy recovery and hugs - Constanze
 
Post-op Day 8!

Oh my goodness, we're racking up the laughs over here!!!! That frantic kitchen sink shampoo of last Friday? I kept wondering why my hair just felt strange all weekend - until it came time to give it another go yesterday morning! I asked John to go grab a towel and the shampoo as I made my way into the kitchen. I felt far more steady on my feet, so just asked him to stand by while I attempted to maneuver the task. I grabbed the bottle, and saw immediately that it wasn't shampoo - "Wasn't the shampoo right there in the bathroom?" I asked him. "Uh, I don't know... this is what we used on Friday," he responded. Yep... my weekend of gummy hair was due to a "conditioner" shampoo.... - I don't recommend it for anyone! :heehee:

Oh, and then that lovely plumbing side effect of the Percocet! Yeah, you know the one! :hairpulling: I'm sorry, but do they really think Colace is going to address the issues brought on by Percocet and other pain meds, on top of the slowdown brought on by surgery and anesthesia?????? As I posted somewhere (last week is a hazy blur!), I sent my husband to the store to buy all the "ammunition" I could think of soon after I'd gotten home from the hospital! Prunes, prune juice, figs, applesauce, bran in as many forms as it was sold, and, JUST in case.... a big bottle of Milk of Magnesia! (Hey, when you're desperate, you're desperate!! :flabber:) I'll spare you the details, but let's just say that by the morning of day 6, I had consumed a bag of figs, 5 bowls of prunes and applesauce, several small glasses of prune juice, and decided enough was enough - the proceeded to gulp down 4 tablespoons of MofM! Do I need to tell you where I was about 5 hours later... and then continually for the rest of the day???? :umm:

Well, after that "commotion" settled down, it was time for a good and thorough sponge bath! And what do I do within the first 10 seconds? Turn to get a washrag, and BAM - pull a muscle in my back!!!!! I was just about ready to lay on the bathroom floor and tell John to get the garden hose and just wash me down!!!! Nothing like limping because of hip replacement on the left side AND limping on the right because you've thrown the right side of your back out!!! All we could do was laugh!!! (It was either that, or cry!!! :snork:) Needless to say, it was ice and elevate the rest of Sunday!

I wasn't sure how I'd feel when yesterday morning arrived - would I be able to even move? Yes, much improvement with the back, the plumbing back to normal, and I was feeling good! Had visitors all day long, and ended the day with a home health care visit! She changed the dressing (I made her take a picture for me since I couldn't see it very well) - only about 6" long, and looks perfectly healthy, I'm so happy to report! (Remember my little "do I have an infection?" meltdown of Friday night?) It's brightly bruised with almost every color of the rainbow, but the incision is clean and clear! Sweet grandson decided the staples look like a railroad track! :-) Added a few more standing exercises to so easily incorporate into daily life... just more conscious weight-bearing on the new joint (it's kind of unnerving, would anyone agree with me?). Also (and maybe most of you knew this already!), she wants me now to use the walker as I would a shopping cart, simply pushing it ahead of me, as opposed to grasping onto it for dear life! LOL! Regular walking is becoming more and more a reality!! (Though I was SO sore last night after doing far too much sitting up in a regular chair while visiting, then working with PT late yesterday afternoon... Today I have reserved for ice, elevation and Netflix!!!)

(And thought I'd pass this on, for what it's worth. My middle son and family were able to come see me for the first time since my surgery yesterday. The first thing my son said was, "Mom, your face! You just look different! You look happy and comfortable!" Well, of course I wanted to know exactly what he meant by that, and he said, "When we saw you last week, your face was full of pain, and you winced with every step. NOW look at you!" THAT'S why we're going through all of this, dear friends! To be move beyond the life-limiting pain!!!!! :yahoo: )

Oh, one more thing to mention - wondering if any of you have noticed this, as well? The more I've been up since Friday, the more I'm noticing that the operated leg is unmistakably feeling longer than the "good" leg. The PT assured me that a good number of patients notice this, and that it normally gets settled out in the coming months. I think she cited something like 7 out of 10 THR will experience it to some degree. No biggie! I'm happy to be free from pain!!!

This morning, bright and early as the sun was coming up and while all the birds were SO busy flitting about and filling the sky, I simply sat outside and enjoyed my first cup of coffee, so thankful for medical science that has given so many of us back our lives; sitting in the midst of the beauty of the dawn, thinking about times past that I would have been just far too busy and distracted to do so - and realizing that there are so many good and wonderful lessons I will be taking with me from all of these challenging and difficult times... Truly, we are blessed. xoxo

@Cynthia777 - Hi, sweet friend! I've been thinking lots about you, knowing that you are a busy little bee on this forum as you bring your own unique fun, joy and encouragement to everyone you encounter on here! You go, girl!!! So proud of you!!!! :loveshwr:

@Miss Muffet - Oh, my goodness, Jane, you had me laughing out loud! So glad to hear you were able to cancel those divorce proceedings!!!! As you said, it is SO TRUE!!! Measuring progress by the week, I'm realizing that I am doing SO much more than I could have imagined just one week ago! Ok, so we will call ourselves hippie crock pots, just letting the magical ingredients of time, ice, rest and patience bring us an amazing dish once we're done!!! Thank you so, so much for your encouragement!!!

@Constanze - Thank you, as well, for your kind words, as well as the encouragement to remember this is a marathon, not a sprint! I simply can't hear the reminders enough!!! How wonderful that you're busy and back to work, but that you have held onto the walks with your husband that you established early on in your recovery! I think my husband and I will be taking some sweet and important things with us from this time, as well. xox

@Wrknitout - Aw!!! Thanks so much for thinking of me!!! You are so close to your "graduation" day!!!!! How are you feeling about everything? As you could probably tell from what I wrote up above, I'm doing well! Every single thing you and I have read about recovery and progress on this forum is true! I still can't believe I was in the hospital just a week ago, barely standing up! It's happening right before my very eyes!!

@Nana2-8 - You are in my thoughts, my prayers and on my heart, as you're putting the finishing touches on your hospital bag, all the recovery items to have at home when you return, and everything else needing your attention before surgery! May these few days pass quickly, and may peace of mind and peace of heart be an anchor in those moments when the unknown might seem a bit unnerving! (I'll be in touch with you this afternoon, dear friend, but just had to tell you that you're continually on my mind this week!!!!) :friends:
 
Oh - I am so glad to hear you are up and about and out with the birds! With wonderfully clean hair! ~ What a great report. You're so kind to mention all the things that might be concerning to others. Sooooo...what I take from that is....yet another 'one more trip' to get some added supplies - I only have Colace and Senekote - plus prunes and prune juice. Cross your fingers! I've paid the bills, watered the outdoor plants, moved things around on the patio, done all but the load of white laundry, put aside my walker/cane for DH to bring when he comes to pick me up, keep adding things to my overnight bag (like my nail file...ya never know)...just counting down the time now. ~ You give me inspiration for a week from now! xxoo
 
@DizzyBlond I keep putting off the dose of MOM -- slow not stopped. Just make sure I'm drinking lots of fluids.
My knee OS had folks get Dulocolax suppositaries but I never had need for them. Hip OS prescribes colace. I'm thinking of weaning off Percoset and getting back everything that is slowed down up to speed again. Home nurse comes tomorrow so we can work it out then.
@Nana2-8 It is so helpful having a buddy to go through this with you. Thankfully I'm not going through EVERYTHING :whistle: that DizzyBlond is but knowing someone is experiencing what you are is invaluable. :console2:
 
Hi dizzyblond I just wanted to check in on you I'm glad to hear your doing OK and have plenty of laughter in your life its good medicine. My favorite time of day is just as the suns coming up and the world is peaceful and you hear the animals waking up to.keep up the eventful safe recovery take care.:heehee::angel:
 
WOW, just WOW! You are doing SO well and just wait until the end of week three! You had me laughing all the way through your post! :heehee:
My leg felt longer than the other one for almost two months! I was sure I had a LLD, but now it's disappeared! So have no fear, this is very normal during early recovery.
So happy for you girlfriend!
 
Yay! @DizzyBlond is back!!

You sound so light and happy and free! I know there is still a slog ahead of you, but I'm so glad to "hear" how much better you sound!

You are the second or third person whose loved one has told them how much better and younger they look after surgery. I so hope to have that feeling. May have to wait until after my knee. Of course my knee is what is bothering me today and my hip feels just ducky. Makes me second guess my decision to do my hip first. Grrrrr.

Anyway, glad you are doing so well and glad the intestinal super highway is calming down. No more traffic jams or speed demon drag racers for you!
 
HI sweet Robin!
You are now 11 days post-op and over hurdle #1 (1st week post-op). This second week is still a bit trying, but should be much better than that first week. The time goes by pretty quickly and before you know it you'll be hitting the end of week three, which I found to be kind of a turning point to greater improvement every few days. Although each recovery is different, I'm praying you will see the speedy recovery I experienced.
xoxoxo!
CC
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom