Guest viewing is limited

THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

Woo Hoo! I was hoping she would contact someone even if she wasn't up to posting. Thanks @Nana2-8
 
Beloved BoneSmart friends!
Thanks so much for missing me while I was gone having this little procedure called a THR!! :heehee: Can't tell you all how incredibly grateful I am to have had such a cheering squad behind me as I did!
I promised some of you that I would detail this out for those of you liking that type of info, so I'm home and waking up from yet ANOTHER nap (WOW, who knew you could sleep so much?!?) and ready to at least begin the process!

I was so fortunate to encounter great staff at every turn - I'm sure many of you have found that your experience, as well. The last thing I remember in the OR was sitting up over a pillow as they administered the spinal - the next moment, I was being wheeled into recovery. I immediately felt the incision burn (Hey, what happened to my couple of hours of post-spinal relief?? :)), so they got me into recovery and I asked for ice! Because I've never had anything more than a bit surgery with just a very little need for narcotic pain relief, I'd forgotten that narcotics and I don't get along very well (well, not without a little help from some anti-emetic meds!). So what should have been my "get up out of bed the day day of surgery," followed by "more and more walking the day of going home" all got delayed as they sorted out the pain meds situation. One day's delay is nothing in the scope of the big picture, so prepared for departure this morning...

Then came lots and lots of people doing lots and lots of talking regarding my warfarin use, dislocation rules, etc, though my dizzy brain had a bit of struggle in taking it all in; what I found is that when we are so well prepared here on BS, you've basically already internalized everything you need to know! I think I can echo @belweav's commentary on the pain. The first time really moving, the incision burned like fire... BUT NOT THE JOINT!!!!! And then the second time up it's not so bad.... and honestly, the more I'm going my exercises and walking, the better it gets! So those of you having this to look forward to, don't be fearful!!!! It's completely doable!!!! :yay:

As the surgeon popped in for a visit yesterday morning he told me what he'd also told my husband and family in the waiting room... The joint was completely bone on bone, and almost disintergrating! There was no other option than THR - and how amazing that we live in a day and age when life, activity and hip joint pain can be addressed and taken care of! I am SO looking forward to living my life without the day-to-day limitations that filled my past year!

OK, I'm exhausted!!! Tomorrow home health care, OT and PT all come in the morning, as well as a lab tech to take blood samples. I'm going to allow myself to be pampered and cared for - this will all be over soon enough! Can't wait to check the forum when I'm not so sleepy so I can see how everyone else is doing! I've missed you!!!!

Here's to sweet dreams for all... and for those of us sleeping with abductor pillows on our back when we're longing for our sides, may these nights simply fly by!!!!!!! We're on our way to EVERYTHING we've lost to hip joint pain!!!! HURRAY!!!!!!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Constanze - Thank you so much!! Yes, that is a picture of me with one of my little "sleeping beauties" - I've been so blessed with four of the little sweeties!!!
I will try to include as much detail as I can think of - I know how much others' experiences have helped me! I'll enjoy reading your thread - hopefully tomorrow, when sleep isn't demanding its way with me!!!! xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So happy you're here on the recovery side and surgery is behind you! Ice, ice and more ice and hopefully you've got the pain meds straightened out. You rest my sweet friend. :console2:
 
Dizzy Blonde very nice that you got through the surgery and now will be on the recovery path. I can only say its hard and its got bad and good days and eventually you will feel a change. For myself I have to say this past 2 weeks I feel like I can do much more and am taking care of my little apartment myself and getting out walking as much as possible. This is week 10 and my walking with a cane has improved a bit but am using the walker for long distances or if I go out somewhere in case I get fatigued.

I am going to physio and I have to say that I have not encountered any pressure to do something I am not comfortable with or feel a lot of pain with. In fact we are trying all the equipment and seeing what I can best handle and by evening I am very sore around my hip and leg and lower back and the sharp pains I have are nerves healing. I went over the list of pain symptoms to sort out what could be a problem to watch out for and what is normal and the PT assured me so far its all normal.

Here we can only have PT in a more advanced form after the restrictions are lifted and that is the time the surgeon decides if you are a good candidate or not. Some people are in better shape because they went into the surgery in better shape than me so I am using muscles now I have not used in a healthy way for a long time but the swelling in my leg and calf is hardly there now so the juice is flowing correctly. I would have a heart to heart with your surgeon about PT and ask about what he or she feels is reasonable and not shy away from their advice. I still do the PT list of home exercises and I have about 10 different ones to do for 5 second each x 10 twice a day and 2 weeks ago I could not do half of them because I had no strength in my hip and now I can do them all even if some are a bit weaker than others plus the ones at the PT clinic which goes for about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

When you are ready for more advanced physio than your doctor can refer you for that if that's how it works in your state so ask for it if you feel you are ready.

In the meantime I wish you all the best for your recovery.
 
Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting us know how it went. I am so glad to hear the surgery went well and you are now home. I am sorry you did not get to enjoy the couple of hours of relief from your spinal. Hopefully the pain meds will keep your pain under control so that you can get the rest your body needs. I am glad your Surgeon confirmed how badly you needed this surgery, although I don't doubt that how good you will be feeling in just a few weeks will also confirm that. Well you did it ! Now it's just blue skies ahead ... well after a little hard work recovering but, you've got that girl!!! :yes!::egypdance::wowspring::yay::spin: Still praying for ya! Hugs.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom