Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIG HUGS TO ALL! There is NO WAY I could even be at this "happy place" without all of you! :friends:
 
Audrey, its wonderful reading your oh so positive posts, and am delighted that you are feeling so much better and happier!!

Lovely photo of you by the way, you look happy, and long may it continue, and look forward to hearing more of your story as time goes by.

Take care :friends:
 
Audrey,

You have been so inspiring to me throughout all of this! You are one strong woman and I am so happy that you are making good progress. Listening to your body for the RSD signs can be hard I'm sure, but it sounds like you have learned to have the patience necessary to be successful!:yes 4:
 
Audrey-
Sounds like you are moving along and doing ok. Did you get out to enjoy some of the beautiful weather we had last week? Hard to remember what those days were like with this whipping wind and chilly weather we are having today (and yesterday!)
You are such an inspiration to all of us with your good attitude and drive to move forward. Keep up the good work! :)
~ Kit
 
Hi! My OS office called today and wanted to know how much weight I was able to put on my fusion leg. "I don't know...maybe 30 pounds"? I said. They told me to put only my fused leg on the scale, and just balance with my crutches. Push down slowly and see what I get. I had to look at the scale TWICE! 90 pounds!!! (and that's the average!) Got up to 118, but couldn't hold that number. Held 75 with no problem, no pain! I'm having "shock and awe" at how much this fusion is working out for me. Still can't believe it!:hapydancsmil:
 
I am sooo thrilled for you. You have been through the wringer and have come out on top!!!
Congratulations!
Sandy
 
Audrey, your account of the little details like this will be so meaningful for others who may be considering this option. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking time to write them!!!
 
Thanks, Jamie! In a year's time, I might forget these "little details" and just when and what I was doing at certain stages. There just isn't a lot of info. out there for people that are thinking about, or have been asked to concider a fusion. I know "caneguy" and "awolfpaw" were a GODSEND when they found my post. I remember I cried when FINALLY....somebody who had a fusion was available to me. AND...having 3 different types of fusions here on the site as well and different recoveries and experiences (thankfully, all postivie!) to refer to!

As you know, I was at the end of my rope, and my Dr. and I had "experimented" with everything from drugs, to trying a last ditch surgery in hopes that my life would become better. I think when you have come to the conclusion that life just "stinks", and you would rather just stay in bed, that is the time to concider something more "drastic". I knew I didn't want an amputation, which was also mentioned. I'd rather have my entire leg, foot and toes, thank you! So...once I made the decision, I never looked back and got into the mind-set of actually looking forward to having the fusion. I know that sounds bazaar..."looking forward to having a straight leg"...but that's how I felt.

I had a day last summer when I was in the cast, and I just did the pros and cons. I knew keeping my leg straight and supported caused less pain. I knew that when I was in the cast, I could participate in daily activities, go shopping, enjoy my horses, and even go to the beach. When I didn't wear the cast, I was hunched over, scared to death of falling or having my knee go out from under me, and sitting for more than 5 minutes was impossible. Plus...I kept thinking about being a grandmother someday. How could I hold a baby, or even think about babysitting if I were in this condition? I want to be able to get on the floor and play...to pick my my (future) grandchild and hold him/her. (I get teary eyed just typing this) I knew for safety reasons, I would not be able to do this. That was the ice-breaker! I now had motivation and the DRIVE to do this and never look back.

AND...my daughter and hubby are going to start trying this summer, so maybe by the fall of 2103, I'll be a Grammie!. :dancy:
 
Here's my knee/leg 5 weeks post-op. As you can see, my left leg is shorter than the right (about 3/4"), but that's ok. The swelling has gone down a LOT!!!! Used to be the size of a honeydew melon! ....I think my scar is always going to look like an earthworm now...poor thing has been cut into 4 times now.
 
I agree with Jamie that details help the new people; they answered many of my questions. And Audrey, your decision-making process was very enlightening. Again, something that will be valuable to new BoneSmart members.

Audrey, that poor scar, hunh! Have you been massaging it? What do you use?

Have a good day!
 
Audrey you are so brave how you described feeling is how I feel now all I feel like doing is staying in bed the pain is so bad when I go anywhere I just want to be back home I feel at the end of my tether totally and my family want me back but I'm not sure it will ever happen!!

I am so glad you have your life back Audrey it's fantastic xxcx
 
Got my CD rom in the mail today of all my xrays. Here's my fusion! Dr. K cut off about an inch off the nail so that it would be more comfortable for me and not so long! You can see how "jammed in" the tibial nail is into my tibial canal. It's a mirage it didn't break (my tibia, that is!)!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom