Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my side view of my fusion. Pretty straight, huh? Jo....it looks like my kneecap isn't there. Am I right?
 
WOW, they are amazing X-rays Audrey, and it looks pretty good to me. What a brave lady you are, and I really hope that you continue to go from strength to strength, you so deserve it!

Take care Audrey :friends:
 
Hi Audrey,
Great reports!
Looks like the outline of a kneecap at and above the "joint line".
Take good care!
 
LOL..that's pretty bad if I don't know if I have my kneecap! LOL Jo....what are your thoughts? Are you hiding? :skeptical: LOL
 
Way to go Audrey!

I know you have traveled a long road and I am glad that you are starting to reap the rewards!:yahoo:
 
Hi Audrey,

It's been a while but I'm glad to hear your fused knee is providing pain free living for now. My knee has been fused since 1989 and I have lived without pain. I didn't really have a choice about getting it done but it was the best thing for me. I have no regrets about it either. After much research into getting a TKR which was the reason I came on this forum I decided not to pursue it. My life has been too good with the fused knee to make the risk worth while. Although, I did break the fuse 2 weeks ago playing ice hockey. I'm in a cast now as my bones fuse back together. This is the third time I've done it now but I'm an old pro so it's not too bad. Pain hasn't been that bad either. I wish I had the x-rays to show because I learned that the doctor fused my knee cap to both bones as well. I blew the knee cap in half which was pretty gnarly along with breaking the fusion. I'm now 34 years old and starting to realize I need to tone it down so my ice hockey days are done. It makes me sad because I loved playing so much despite my fused knee. Once you get used to it your mobility will be amazing, trust me! You won't even notice after a while and neither will people.

Take care,

Jessy
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
    IMG_00000110.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 176
Hi! Well..here it is! Heading into 6 weeks post-op. You can see that the swelling has gone down a LOT, and because of that, you can see that I've got a slight "bow-legged" look, which was expected. The picture looks like my leg is shorter than 3/4", but it's not. The leg is a little bit darker than the other because I had been "standing" (ha ha) at the counter trying to make cookies. When I stand too long, the RSD makes my leg start to turn that reddish-purple color, which is my first warning sign to go sit down and stop doing what I'm doing!
 
Wow! Thanks for posting that wonderful and uplifting comment, Jessy! I think my kneecap was also fused, but I'm not sure about that now. I'll have to ask him when I have my next appt. on April 12th. I'm really in shock at how much I'm NOT in pain anymore....and LOVING it!!!!
 
Hey Rose! Thanks! As far as the knee/leg goes, I think so....jury is still out on the RSD and if that's going to keep me down.
 
Audrey,

How has the RSD been doing since your surgery? Any Better or any Worse?

I keep praying for you to overcome all of this and get on with a comforable life.
 
It's been more active than before the fusion surgery, but not terrible like it was after the "botched" TKR back in 2009. If I am standing up too long (that's 15 minutes or more), my leg will turn that nasty reddish-purple color, so when that happens, I know I have to sit down and put my foot up asap. Luckily, it goes back to "normal" color within 10 minutes. Still having some hyper-sensitivity on my lower leg, especially when certain fabrics touch it, or i forget to shave every day! The leg hair feels like wire coming out! My foot hasn't gotten that cold/burning feeling in a few weeks, but that only happens after the leg turns color and only if I don't stop what I'm doing and get that leg UP!
 
Audrey....I'm going to tag Jo so that she'll see your thread more quickly and update on your status. I think you are doing fantastic!!! That latest photo of your legs shows just how far you've come.

@Josephine:
 
Oh wow! Audrey you are a real trooper and a STAR! I am so delighted for you, really.
 
Thanks Jo and Jamie! Glad you are back, Jo! Did you have a chance to view my xrays of the fusion? Can you see a kneecap in there? :scratch:
 
Oh I missed those - sorry. Well, the images are very low resolution, only about 250kb, so it's impossible to scroll them larger to see because they pixilate. But I think you still have a patella there but it's very deformed. Difficult to be sure though ...

[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
 
I've enjoyed reading your story and am so grateful that it has had a happy ending. I sure hope the RSD will calm down more as you go. You said a botched surgery started it, but was it a normal surgery which just went wrong when the RSD showed up?

My daughter has had RSD for over ten years. She had surgery for necrosis in that knee, but the RSD didn't start until a few years later when she sprained her ankle. She says that resting or elevating doesn't seem to help her leg. She keeps an eye on the barometric pressure since that influences her pain more than anything. If only they could find a cure for RSD!!!

I hope you continue to improve. Please keep posting!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom