Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I'm home and settled in. Here's the low-down from Dr. appt. today. 1. He was very pleased with the progress I've made in 3 weeks. 2. Danger of surgical infection has passed (yay!) 3. Tibia and femur are fusing! (double yay!) 4. My leg is 3/4 shorter than the other. 5. Swelling is normal. May stay somewhat swellen for a long time. 6. The "Witchita nail" is 16" long. Runs from mid thigh to half-way between my ankle and knee (about 16"). 7. He had to ream out my tibial bone canal in order for the rod to fit without breaking the tibia - thus the shin bone pain. I will have that for quite a while. 8. RSD is rearing it's ugly head. - leg is turning reddish purple if I stand more than 5 minutes. Also, hypersensitivity on lower leg. - may diminish in time...if I take it easy. 9. Can't walk in any shoes for a month because of the difference in length. Will get prostetic sneakers in 5 weeks, which will help balance out the difference. - seeing him again in 4 weeks.

Overall, I was very pleased and not surprised at anything he had to say, both good and bad. Been to this "rodeo" many times before! The "old" me would have been very impatient. However, I've learned that this all takes time, and some things just can't be rushed. So...guess I'll be a "snail" for a while longer!
 
Audrey,

Glad to hear you are healing well. Wish we could make the time go faster but don't know how to do that. If anyone has conquered patience you sure have and I'm sure you will do a job with it again.
 
Audrey, although I'm sorry you still have pain, I'm so very happy to see a list of things that you can seriously look forward to. Patience is not always the most fun, but as you know....it will get you there! You continue to amaze me!!!
 
LOL! Ask anybody....I used to be the most IM-patient person! If I had a task to do, I wouldn't sleep until it was finished. Same with work. I'd stay late just to finish something to "get it done". Caused self-stress and I just couldn't stop! Work-a-holic, get-it-done type of gal. This has really taught me to slow things down...in every aspect of life! It didn't happen overnight, that's for sure. But...I'm a lot less stressed because I have had no choice but to take things slower.

Of course, if I could snap my fingers and have this all done and over with WOULD be wonderful...but not realistic. I was just talking to my daughter the other day, and was telling her that when you look back on things, the time seems very short. But when you are looking ahead...it seems like forever. (we were talking about her growing up and how time just flew by)
I'm just glad that I chose the path I did. When Dr. Kelly and I talked yesterday, I stressed how important and HELPFUL putting me in the cast was. Both mentally and physically the best decision EVER! He said they used to do it quite often "a while ago", but not so much anymore. Braces seem to be the item of choice. But...for a possible fusion, we discussed how much of an advantage the cast was for me....to set my mind up for what my body was no longer going to be able to do, and how I would have to alter certain things and what my limitations would be.

Today, I'm putting a little more weight on my foot...not much, but a little bit. My goal is to be walking with only one crutch by May 1st. :wink1:
 
oh...and I'm not really having "pain" with the RSD. it's more of an annoyance. The color change doesn't cause pain...just annoying to look at. However, it's a "warning" that if I don't get off my feet and rest for at least 20 minutes, the other RSD signs will start...like my foot getting cold and the super-sensitivity on my lower leg. It all seems to run the same pattern, so I'm really in-tune with my body!
 
Hi Audrey and welcome to the "Snail Club":friends:
You look so good in the picture. You have the same lower leg atrophy that I have!!!!
I'm glad you are finally on your way to getting your life back.
Keep us updated on your progress.
Best,
Sandy
 
Going out for a ride in a bit. Hubby is going to be my "chauffer", as I settle into the back seat while he runs into stores and does errands. I still can't believe how well this fusion is working out for me! I'm putting more weight on my leg now, but only a little more each day. I can put enough on it now so that when I stand up at the counter, I can "balance" myself with the fusion leg enough so that I don't have a lot of hip pain on my good side. (Basically, I've been standing on one leg now for about a month)

Was told I cannot wear shoes until my next appointment, as doing so will put a lot of stress on the good leg, and torque my back and hips. So...I'm going to wait until I find the shoes that I want altered 3/4 of an inch, just like the good Dr. told me to do!

I took (2) hydrocodone pills this morning in anticipation of my outing, but I'm thinking that 2 pills is too much for me now. Got really "foggy" and my hands got numb. A good indication that I over-medicated. So another milestone! Less pain meds! YAY!!!!

The main problem I have is really the RSD. Because of it, I have to take it slower than somebody who doesn't have it. Since I've got active symptoms since the surgery, I really have to be "in tune" with my body and know when enough is enough. If I go over my "limit", the foot gets really cold and it takes longer to get it back to normal. As in the past, if i take it easy, the RSD WILL calm down to where it was before the surgery, which was almost non-existant!
 
Shopping for new shoes!!!!:dancy:
Glad to see you are taking less pain meds.
I wish my back would settle down so I could take less as well!
You sound so upbeat!
I'm thrilled.
 
Quite often, I've wondered if I made the "right decision" in having my leg fused. For me, this was the BEST decision I could have made for myself. Both my OS and myself felt that having my knee not bend would get me pretty much pain free, but we went into this knowing that it may or may not work. We weighed the odds and "went for it". I'm soooo glad we did. Being mostly pain-free, with the hopes that I will be 99.9% pain free in time makes having a straight leg worth it. And..I really don't notice that it's straight all the time. Just grateful that I don't have to worry about it bending and causing pain, or that I'll trip and fall because of the instability. My stress level is at an all time low, too! :yahoo:
 
Audrey,
Wonderful to hear you are now pretty much pain free, and doing well with your straight leg!:yahoo:
 
Audrey, it is so wonderful to read how well you're doing. I know this solution might not be for everyone, but you have approached all that you've been through in such a positive manner, that I can see how it is going to make your life "normal" again. I am happy beyond words.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom