Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, THANK YOU, and I most certainly will!

I'm "walking" more and more with just one crutch, but only in the house, and only for short distances. I feel like the "Leaning Tower of Piza" with one leg shorter than the other, but hopefully in 3 weeks, I'll have my modified sole sneakers and be more balanced. (My back is really starting to hurt!)
 
You have been thru alot, i wish you all the best with your recovery, you already sound much better. Been followinf your thread, so lots of luck to you:thumb:
 
Audrey, so happy that you continue to improve and are able to do more and more.

I am very interested in knowing how you feel about your modified sole sneaker once you get it. Please let us know. My back and left knee would be very, very unhappy if I didn't have my modified left soles.

Take care, keep us posted, we care. Judy
 
I can't wait to get my modified sneakers! I have them ready and waiting to show them to my Dr. and have him write me the script so that I can get them done! AAAAhhhh...to be able to walk again.....am I dreaming???
 
Audrey,

I can hear the joy in your posts again! how wonderful! You deserve to be happy and I hope that you can find a way to "outsmart":th_heehee: that nasty RSD! If anybody can think of a way I know it will be you! You like to push the limits occasionally.:wink1:
 
Back from my (almost) 8 week post-op checkup. Lots of questions...lots of answers! Knee is fusing well, and the kneecap and the rest of the knee area should be fused by my next appt in 2 months. RSD is a bit more than what we both had hoped, and that will be the factor that will hinder my progress. He says because of the rod, I will most likely always have shinbone pain and mid-femur pain (much like anybody that has long stems in their TKR), but hopes it will be intermitent and minimal. Once the fusion is complete, the chances of breaking a bone or getting a stress fracture are extremely slim to almost none (by doing normal activities and walking, etc.). I have stressed both MCL's in the fusion and "good" knee due to my strange way of "walking" and overcompensating. No signs of infection. Was a bit surprised when we did the measuring, and my leg is 1 1/4" shorter than the other. We thought it was close to 3/4" at the last appt. Took my sneakers to get modified, and they will be ready in 10 days. I'll be on crutches for most of the summer. Oh well....that's only a few months :)
 
All in all, Audrey, I'd say that's a good report. It's so great to see you with positive news. And....I think once you get those magic sneakers, you're going to find things a LOT more comfortable. Here's hoping that allows the RSD to settle down.
 
Hey Audrey sounds like you are well on the way to that recovery you so derserve. Hope things continue in the same vein and by the end of the summer you will be crutchless and able to walk normally again. The shoes sound as though they will be a big help in getting that gait back!! Take care Audrey, look forward to hearing more from you again. :friends:
 
Audrey,
I am thrilled for your progress...FINALLY!
I'll bet those sneakers are going to help get you out walking, and dare I say it.. dancing????
Will you be able to ride with your fused leg once it heals?
Sandy
 
I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride...but I'm not going to count it out. Even if it's in a couple of years, it's something to look forward to and set as a goal!
 
I knew a chap who rode, he had his leg sticking out. Had to be careful he didn't catch it on anything, I believe!
It was some years ago, when I first learned.
 
Remember Chester on "Gunsmoke"? He didn't seem to have any problem riding. Know he didn't really have a fused leg---but still he had it so it wouldn't bend. So sure seems that riding is a real possibility for you after that leg heals completely.
 
I am sure that anything is possible if you are of a mind to do it. Its just finding the right balance of desire against risk, and I am sure that if you really want to ride again you will Audrey.

Stay positive and get that leg 100% and then think about it again sometime in the future maybe.:thumb:

Take care and keep that positivity going! :friends:
 
Hey! Somebody just told me that "Chester" from Gunsmoke....rode a MULE! :hysterical: Maybe I should "git me one of those"! How is everybody doing?
 
I had my knee fusion done in 98 and it caused problems with my back due to how I walked. it was not to bad for the first ten years but after that and as I was getting older it got worse. I also know when its going to rain or snow. wish you all the best tho if you read my post you can see that I am going to have the pin removed and a TKR done to help with my back problems and to gain back mobility.

pegleg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom