Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you sooooo much for posting again! I really look forward to your posts, as you have helped me more than you will EVER know! And yes...I am celebrating every little milestone that comes my way. What kind of "scares" did you have? I'm still afraid that I'm going to get an infection, and I know it's possible, but so far...no signs!
 
Hi Audrey, just want to add my congrats to the rest, you are doing so well, and so positive that it really rubs off on all the other Bonesmarties going through a bad time at present.

Wishing only good things, take care x :friends:
 
Oh boy! I got to take a long, hot shower yesterday! Oh, the things we take for granted!!!! I could have stayed in the shower all day, but would have ended up looking like a prune! LOL
I was grinning from ear to ear that I was able to get myself into the tub/shower "all by myself"! I have a chair that is in the tub, and I plunked myself onto it, and then propped my foot on the edge of the tub and I was actually quite comfortable! So another milestone made! wooo hoooo!!!!
I even used the hairdryer to dry my hair, too! I was beat when I was done. That takes a lot of energy when you are as weak as a kitten! :bathtub: I'm going to start working with my thera-bands today (for my upper body). I need my arms to be strong, so while I'm "growing roots in my chair", LOL, I'll do some arm curls and stuff.
I am able to put just a little bit more weight on my foot today, too. Not too much, but enough so that I know it's a bit more. I see my Dr. on the 22nd, and I'd like to be able to crutch my way to the waiting room, rather than have to get a wheelchair. It's a short walk from the truck to the front door, and I know I can do that. then an elevator to the second floor. That's easy! However, the walk from the elevator to the waiting room is about 70 feet. I know I can do it if I take it slow. I'm certainly gonna try! :thumb:
My knee swelling keeps going down. My knee is about the size of a small grapefruit now. Said "goodbye" to the cantaloupe look a few days ago! Still no signs of infections, so I'd say things are going REALLY WELL!!! Thanks so much for all your kind words and support. Honestly...I really look forward to posts by you all! ...and I am always here to help and to support as well. :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
I'm so happy for you. I loved my first shower.... and I was so tired after it so I know how you feel. Great to hear you doing so well.
 
Audrey, your post made me so happy. Isn't wonderful to be able to appreciate the small things in life!

Wish you many more days and moments like this!

Hugs.
 
Audrey, I loooooved your shower post! NOTHING in the world is as nice as a shower after being in the hospital and all grimy for days. Do you need to wrap it in plastic to keep it from getting wet? Wait until you dont need to use the chair! Its the most glorious feeling ever! haha.

I was really worried about infection, especially because I was in the whole predicament because of a nasty unidentifiable infection. They kept me on anti-infection meds for a long time. Are you taking any preventive meds like that for infection?

The scares I get are when my right knee hurts (the "good knee". It has minor avascular necrosis, and was cleaned out during a core decompression about 2 years ago....but nothing major). It sometimes aches all the way down to my ankle. I always start worrying that its time has come....but after a day or so of rest and Motrin it feels better. It usually happens in the winter, so it could be because I walk different on the ice and Im extra compensating for my bad leg?

I dont think I get scares with my bad leg. My doctor said it will last a looooooong time with no issues. In fact, he said if I were to ever break my knee, it would most likely be above or below the fusion because its so strong. What a wonderful thought? haha!

I saw your pictures, I like your scars ;) My knee has the same ones. Question: Did they cut the nerves so you cant feel the left side of your knee?
 
I just read your posting and I wish you didn't have to deal with all of this. But I belive that you are going to get through this and will look back and know you have been thru a lot but I do feel you will get on the other side. Please keep us posted so we can surport you. There are times we need to just let it out. We are here. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:loll:
 
I got stung by a bee or a wasp today. Right on my shoulder blade. Are bee stings something to be concerned about when you have a TKR or any type of replacement?
 
Audrey!:yahoo:

I am so happy for you! This is truly great news! You are doing so well, I don't know much about the effects of bee stings but I don't think they effect a tkr though.

That you were able to put your foot on the floor not that you were stung by a bee!:wink1:
 
3 weeks post-op knee fusion. As you can see, my fused leg is slightly shorter than the other one. I feeling really good, and see the Dr. tomorrow! I'll update soon!
 
You're lookin' GREAT, Audrey!!! Big smile, like always. I'm so happy this seems to be working out for you.
 
Audrey I have just read your whole thread and had tears in my eyes when I got to the final pages so happy that things are finally on the up for you xxxx

A doc has suggested knee fusion for me so I will be keeping a close eye on here :)
 
Natalie!!!!!! Hi!!!!!!! :yes 4: You found me! I'm so glad! Please don't cry, 'cause I'm not. I know what you are going through, and have had every thought that is running through your head. Had it not been for "Caneguy" and "awolfpaw", and the support here and other places, I don't know where I'd be today. I got a lot of information, and asked TONS of questions, so I'm here for 'ya!

Can you tell me why your Dr. has suggested a fusion? What other operations have you had? I'll be looking forward to your next post! And again...it will be ok!
 
Lovely to chat to you Audrey feels like we've been on the same journey for a long time!

I've had several open synevectomies and arthroscopies and a TKR in Aug 2011.

Things seemed to go well after recovery then the clunking and hyperextension started and the doc said it was moving around but that was because of muscle wastage and I'd always experience some instability.

The pain is mainly coming from this and the Synovium.

I take regular pain meds walk with a stick and basically live as a disabled person.
Fast forward to nearly 3 weeks ago and I started with what I would call a flare up where I end up in bed unable to walk far and on more pain meds for up to 4 days maximum well the 4th day came and went and I had more pain and a red mark and I started to worry about infection so I rang the doctors they came out put me straight on antibiotics.A few days later doctor comes back and there's no change so he sends me to see an ortho at my local hospital he sends me for blood tests and x rays.Nothing significant on x ray apart from signs of the knee disease I suffer with he spends a good 15 minutes looking and messing with my knee,he is really unhappy with the movement he said it shouldn't clunk and nice so freely and you should have more bend and flexion he also said the red marks are where it's bleeding inside due to the movement of the implant.

However he doesn't want to do anything as I have my own surgeon at a different hospital and he should deal with it.So hubby and I asked him what he would do so he said I'd put you under GA and see what was going on and move it around more without you being in pain and maybe have a look in with camera.He also said that giving me a fusion maybe an option to consider as it would take so much of my pain away!

So I am now waitin to see my own ortho and see if he agrees I have a great big brace on my knee to keep it in place stop the hyperextension and giving way I can barely weight bear and I'm in agony!

So sorry for going on so much xxx
 
3 weeks post-op knee fusion. As you can see, my fused leg is slightly shorter than the other one. I feeling really good, and see the Dr. tomorrow! I'll update soon!
Audrey,

You are looking fantastic! I hope I look half as good that soon after surgery!:thumb:


 
Natalie...thank you for sharing your story. I'm sooo sorry that you are going through all of this. Of course, you want to explore any and all options before you concider having a fusion. I can honestly say that the BEST thing my OS did was to put me in the removeable cast. I had worn braces and hated them. When we started to discuss fusion, he put me in the removeable cast (Peg!) to 1. see if immobilizing the knee/leg would help ease or stop the pain and 2. To mimic what it would be like to have a fusion.

Well, as you have read, immobilizing the knee DID take away the pain, and I was able to live life again! I had to learn how to get in and out of a car, and realize that I would now be climbing stairs one at a time...along with other challenges, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I was just soooo grateful for being off the couch and back into life!

If you get to that point where a fusion is looking like the option you may have to take, I would strongly suggest that he/she put you into a removeable cast. A brace just isn't the same! That way, you can see if you are able to handle (mentally) having a fusion. I'm here when you need me!
 
Ah it's nice to see sisters getting together!

Bee sting no problem, btw. Bee sting rarely get infected.
 
Thanks, Jo! I've got my appt. with Dr. K tomorrow. I've got my list of questions, and I'm very anxious to see what he has to say about how I'm healing. They gave me the last appt. of the day to be sure I'd have plenty of time! As you know, I can "yack" just as much as I can type! :th_heehee:

I don't want to do anything that will mess up these bones from fusing together, so if I have to take it easy still, I'm prepared. It is getting a bit hard standing on one leg, however. As you know, the fused leg is about 3/4 to and inch shorter than the other. I've pretty much been barefoot or in stocking feet the past 3 weeks, and I'm trying to stand flat-footed with just a little bit of pressure on the fused leg. I'm going to have one heck of an upper thigh muscle before the summer is out!

I think I'll wear a sneaker on my fused leg tomorrow and have a sock on the other one only. That way, I'll be "balanced" enough to get to the office and into the exam rooms without making the "good" leg work too hard.

This will be my first "outing" in 3 weeks! I'm still going to prop my leg up in the back seat, as leaving it "down" for the 2 hour ride isn't good and makes it swell. Hubby is driving! I still have the shin pain when I touch my shinbone, or if I'm standing too long (5 minutes or more), but I know that will go away in time. I removed all the steri-strips off the incision today. EEEEwwwww.....it's a nasty looking "worm", if I do have to say so. But...it's been cut 4 times in the same place now (a 9" incision), so it's really had enough too! But...I'm not going for "pretty" at this point. I just want to be as pain-free as I can, and be able to enjoy life beyond the couch, bed or recliner. That day is coming soon!!!!! :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom