Guest viewing is limited

Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I knew what to say. If we all had a magic wand, huh?!

I am so glad that I don't have to have a CPM this time around. He kind of gave me an option and I told him I would like to try not having one (I had one for my other two tkrs.)

Hang in there!
 
Audrey, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it right now. I hope things get straightened out soon. I'm keeping you in my prayers.
 
but still have lots of pain behind my knee. What is it there? Don't know...could be RSD pain or just stretching the ligaments. But I thought that he cut them? (he did)
Well, that will be why it hurts there! :wink1:
 
Hi! Still in a "drug fog" state today. :rolleyespink: I wish these spasms would go away. They are so extreme, my leg will jump right off the bed. (not literally, but you know what I mean) This afternoon, I got one so bad that I screamed. Woke me up from a very good nap. These spasms seem to come when I become relaxed. No surprise there, but I did call the Dr.s office to see if what I was on for meds was enough. (Flexeril 10mg 3x daily) I'm also on Lyrica. The office told me to put a heating pad under my knee. I've been doing that, but still...the spasms are getting worse the more I do my PT and the CPM machine. I can't get past 55 degrees flexion on the machine. Extension I can get to zero, both on and off the machine.
THis is going to be a long haul again. I've tried to bend my knee by doing heel slides and again, severe pain (sharp, stabbing) behind my knee. This type of pain you just can't work through. I'm not asking WHY the pain is there. I know why...I'm just trying to manage it enough so that I can progress on the CPM machine and do the simple PT exercises. There may be nothing that can take the pain away, as the RSD is what is BITING me. I just need to experiment with dosages and hope that there is one that will take the edge off enough to do exercises.
I'm on oxycontin and dilauden for pain right now. Flexeril for spasms, Lyrica for nerve pain. I think the ingredients are correct...just think they need to be tweeked some.
 
Oh bless you - you must be really fed up with the 'been there, done that' feeling.
 
I wish I could have more positive things to say today. The spasms are so severe! I had one last night that caused my head/neck to lurch sideways, and now I have a pinched nerve that is causing a lot of sharp, stabbing pain along the top of my shoulder and into my arm. If I tip my head down, the pain goes away. So today, I've had to be really careful about turning my head or shrugging my shoulders up and down. Like I really needed this!!! ugh...
Doc has ordered Diazapan to my "stew of meds" now. 5mg 2x daily. He is hoping that will stop the spasm. He hasn't deleted any meds yet.
PT would not come today due to the pain and the spasms. She told me "I just don't know what we can do with you yet". No kidding. I wouldn't come either...the liability just isn't worth it.
Going to see my PCP tomorrow....they still haven't received any paperwork telling them that I had the surgery and to make a follow-up appointment. again...UGH! I need to be checked for pneumonia as well. It's very hard to breathe, but that may be because of the medication I'm on to relax me....so they say. However, they will check me for that tomorrow.
I counted my staples today....28. He had to use almost the entire scar from last time (34 staples). I'll have those out next Tuesday.
I'm hoping that by Friday, everybody will have the needed information they need to diagnose and proceed. PT is really frustrated, as they were hoping to do the initial appointment today and start basic PT. Oh well...I'd like to get stable before we start things. Seems the most important thing to do.
 
PT are frustrated? Well, bully for them!

I really hope it settles down soon. It sounds horrible.
 
I fired my PCP today. After reviewing my history, and seeing why I was there today, she still asked "...and what do YOU want from ME today? omg...are you kidding me? Duh...I was there for my follow-up from surgery. Did you not read that? I spent a good 15 minutes with the assistant going over theh past week, surgery, meds, etc. Then in came "deer in the headlights"...my PCP that had no clue why I was there. Did you read my chart? I asked.
I'm sooo frustrated with this "system" they have. I have one more appt. at the office to get my staples removed and then I'm outta there! I sure hope she knows what I'm coming in for! Would hate for her to prep for a pap! LOL Anyway....I'm AUDREY...not number 3567845. I'm a real person and want to be treated like one.
 
There's the old Audrey we know and love....she's BACK!!! Good for you, hon. That's a terrible bedside manner "habit" your GP developed. Maybe she'll learn from you. If you can, provide that feedback to her when you see her for the last time. She needs to know how that comment makes a patient feel.
 
Oh Audrey - I'm sorry, but I laughed at that. You see, my GP did that to me recently when I'd been going to see her for months for a problem. She kept doing bizarre blood tests which, when they finally all checked out okay, she metaphorically dusted her hands and said "well, that's okay then" and closed my notes with a finality that really got me cross. When I pointed out I still had the problem she first looked puzzled, then the penny dropped and she said "What do you want me to do about it, then?" To which I replied, how about sending me to a specialist. Came the answer "Okaaay ................ what kind of specialist do you want me to send you to?"

:DOH: :DOH: :DOH: :DOH: :DOH: :DOH: :DOH: :DOH: :DOH:

Good on you for firing her. Sometimes I am tempted to do the same!
 
Jo...you made me laugh this morning! Not that it happened to you also, but at what your GP said. I think they all think that we (the patiens) are stupid and don't know what is going on in their own bodies. I wish there were a way to turn the tables....give me a while...I'll think of one! My Mom is coming to "babysit" me today! Hubby needs a break.
 
I don't know. Guess I find them kind of boring maybe? In addition it takes up too much space as I would have to have someone lift it up from the floor every time I wanted to use it, etc.
It's not horrible, just not my favorite thing! :)
 
yeah, I know what you mean. They are kinda bulky. I leave mine on the bed. When I'm ready to use it, I just "hop into it" and set the settings and then settle in either to watch a good TV show, or take a nap! I've fallen asleep when using it so many times! As cumbersom as it is, it really can get you that "head start" you want and need. I figure "why pay my PT $10 for 15 minutes to make me stretch when the CPM will do the same work. Even though it's a passive machine, I've found ways to push against the machine for resistance to build up a few muscles that atrophied over the months that I was unable to use my knee/leg.
 
I used to do the same thing, resist against the CPM. Or flex ahead of it. So that I was actively using my muscles.

I bought one off of craigslist (!!). Couldn't find one to rent anywhere. Now it's cluttering up my son's room.

Hope you're doing good.
 
watch a good TV show, or take a nap!

That's my problem. If I kept it on the bed, there is no tv in my room, so there was nothing for me to do. I would try to read while on the machine, but it was hard to hold a book and do so.

Seems like you're doing a little better each day. That's great!
 
I'm doing ok today, even with the rain making everything damp. VERY tired. Slept till 10am and I've been napping the entire time I've been on the CMP. I've been able to get to 70 degrees on the CMP, but it just
about kills me. I think I'll keep it at that number for a few days until it gets easier. Still a lot of pain behind my knee. I tried walking with just one crutch yesterday, but that didn't work out very well. I'm really pushing the knee to get straight, as that's the prime focus.
My daughter and her hubby came over last night for supper. The guys watched a football game and we got out the old photo books and had fun looking at them. When it was time to leave, she asked if she could cuddle up with me like she did when she was little. Boy, did that feel good! She told me that she loved me soooo much and that she'd always be my "little girl". That was the best medicine I could ever have!!!!
PT comes to the house tomorrow morning at 8am. I anxious to see what plan she's come up with. Whereas this new spacer has the post in it, Dr. Kelly told me my knee would no longer be able to "rotate" side to side....example: like when you wring out a washcloth. That concerns me a bit, as I'm trying to think of what I do on a daily basis that makes my knee "rotate". Jo....do you know what kind of activity I won't be able to do? Maybe I should say "twist" side to side....
He told me I'd have to be careful not to allow the knee to rotate/twist. I was still at the hospital and under drug effects when he told me this, so I didn't ask him any questions. What do you think he means?
 
Yes, it's that big old ligament he divided and it's going to take some time to stop being painful because, apart from the cut ends having to heal, the muscle will have contracted because it's got nothing holding on to the other end!

As for those manoeuvres, the kinds of things you might find yourself twisting your leg on are turning with your foot or toe flat on the floor, either to put something on a shelf to the side or going back the way you just came in! Anything like that, do it a step at a time, each time taking that foot off the floor to place it down again at a different angle. Especially when you are say, on steps or stairs.
Normally we would spin the foot on the floor when we turn and don't really think about it ...........

It's difficult to describe in words! You need to think about this and notice when you turn your body but keep your foot on the floor.

Does that make any sense?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom