Guest viewing is limited

Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking your PT will go over this stuff with you.

I don't think by the sounds of it that you'll experience a whole lot of limitation because of this. Hopefully everything will feel like big gains.
 
Yes, Jo...that makes PERFECT sense. I talked it over with PT this morning and she said the exact same thing. My brain will train itself to pick up the foot instead of moving on it in time. It's just going to take a while. She measured me with the "gonie" thing, and she got me at 22 degrees extension and 58 degrees flexion. This was while I was sitting on the floor. She said the CMP can really give you false readings...especially if you are using it on a couch or a bed. She also told me not to worry about the numbers. Just be sure that when I get on the CPM, I get a good stretch in both flexion and extension. The stretch should be just enough to reach a pain scale of 7, then hold it for 5 seconds. The CPM machine may say 70 degrees, but I might really be at 60. Either way, the CPM machine is doing it's job as long as I do mine! The majority of my pain is behind my knee . I hardly have any "inside" my knee at all. Sometimes my shin bone will hurt or ache, but Dr. kelly told me that is because of the stem within the tibia implant.
I'm very anxious to hear the details from Dr. Kelly in a couple of weeks.
 
Hi! Well...had my second PT visit this am. This time, it was at the clinic. After 3 years of having PT, I can say the regimen is pretty redundant, but it's something I have to do for at least 4 weeks. Documentation is key...so they say! hhhhmmm....I think it's more like "more money out of my pocket and into yours". I'm not saying this fits for everybody's case, but as I said...3 years of this stuff and I can pretty much write my own prescriptions and daily exercises myself! Anyway....we got "true" measurements and I've got 56 degrees flexion and after 10 minutes of stretching and 3 pound weights pushing down on my knee, I got 12 degrees extension. I'm not going back until next week, so until then, it's "heel slides" to try to get my knee to bend smoothly instead of "jerky" and push to get more extension. Remember the song "second verse, same as the first"? lol
Had my staples taken out today also. Again...a very strange visit to my PCP (the last one, thank God, as I've transferred my records to another one, as I wrote a few posts ago) today. This is sooo bazaar, I just have to share it with you!
Had my appt. at 2:40, got there on time, and got into one of the rooms at about 2:50. The same MA (medical assistant) took down pretty much the same information she took from me last week, and then asked me if my visit was for my PCP to remove the staples. "Yes...I made the appt. to have (my PCP) take them out". "Ok", she said, and then told me my PCP would be in in a few minutes to remove the staples, and then she left the room. About 5 minutes later, my PCP peeked her head inside the door and asked, "are you waiting for me"? and I said "Yes". So...she walked into the room, closed the door and said to me the following: "Are you expecting me to remove your staples"? I said , "Yes...that's what I'm here for. I made the appt. with you". She then said "Well..I guess the MA didn't want to take them out...I usually don't do this, but if I must, then I guess I have to".
I kid you not....that's EXACTLY what she said. If I had a second plan of action, I would have high-tailed it outta there with a few "not-so-nice" words, but I figured since this was my last visit to this "institution", I'd just grin and bear it. Well...there were 28 staples that needed to come out, and I can tell you that I've never had such a terrible experience in staple pulling as I did today. You could tell she was angry, and she certainly took it out on me. She pretty much grabbed and then pulled each one out at an angle. Not the way it's supposed to be done, I can assure you that. Not one staple was pulled out straight, and 3 of them were pulled out before the staple had time to "open" (sorry...kinda graphic here), thus she tore the skin, and of course, they bled pretty good. I didn't even get an "I'm sorry"...she just kept going. I can tell you, I'm not a "woos" when it comes to stuff like this, but my fingers were gripping the chair pretty good! :gaah:
Hubby was waiting for me in the parking lot and after I told him what had happened, he was ready to wage a war. Good thing I told him I'd treat him to a DQ Blizzard if he'd agree to drive away quickly enough so that neither of us could look back. Just another lesson learned in this saga of "Audrey's knee".
(That cheesecake blizzard was really good, by the way!) :wink1:
 
Hi Audrey,

I have been following your story. My what an ordeal you have been through girl! How terrible for the PCP office to treat a patient like that. Very unprofessional. If you are up to it, you should write a letter. That place needs a wake up call.

I understand what you are saying about PT. When I had my revision I felt like I could be a pt myself, I had learned so much the first time. I was also angry about what I had been put through with my first knee so I did not go to outpatient therapy. I had about 10 PT visits at home. I had used the CPM religiously and I just did all my pt at home by myself. I got to 125 and 0 myself. I did buy a stationary bike for my house but I will always use it now. I find if I stop riding the bike my knee bothers me more now! So at least now I have 1 good habit!

I wish you a full and speedy recovery! :yahoo:
 
Audrey-
I am so sorry you have had such bad experiences with your PCP. She sounds like a bad person and I am glad you are finding a new one. Staple removing can be kind of bad if the wrong person is doing it- obviously she wasn't the right one, huh? Gosh. Hopefully your new PCP will be much nicer!

Sounds like you are doing ok. I am glad. I wish that things had been easier for you, but even with the things that you have been through, you have such a strong spirit and keep pushing us all on. I truly appreciate all the kind words and advice you have given. You have no idea how much it has meant to me :)
 
That's appalling. Staples are highly designed to be totally pain free on removal. But hardly surprising as the BA seems to flow all through that place. It starts at the top, you know. It always starts at the top. They see senior staff and doctors being rough and rude with patients and do the same. It's a wonder they have any patients at all!
 
Was your PCP (is that a GP ie a doctor?) mega-annoyed because staple removing was beneath her or something? If so, why didn't she just tell the Medical Assistant (is that roughly equivalent to a practice nurse) to do it instead? How could she take it out on you? :hate-shocked:

It sounds weird (and scary!) as well as painful. You could/should make a formal complaint to the relevant professional body.

Perhaps she is suffering from stress or something?
 
Had it been me she would have been suffering from a punch in the mush!
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
 
As a trained dental assisant, one of the first things we learned was to keep any outside issues outside, and away from the patient. In other words, if you were having a bad day, you better put on an act worthy of an Academy Award when you are with a patient. Apparently, she missed that class.....
I am writing a letter of complaint to EMHCS.
note: an MA = medical assistant...not quite the same as a PA = physician's assistant. MA's don't have the same qualifications as a PA. Most often, you will see a PA before you see an MD. My PCP is/was a PA. A PA is underwritten by the Dr. and is able to write prescriptions, do certain procedures and do referrals. An MA cannot do this. They are the ones that take down history, take your vitals, etc.
 
Hi everybody...I need to vent!!!
I don't know if luck isn't with me in the fall each year, but this is really nuts!.....I had my first TKR in October of 2009. 4 weeks post-op, my beautiful horse "Buddy" got very sick. So sick, that meds could not pull him out of it. After being scoped, the vet found that he had cancer of the brain, and it had eaten through to his sinus cavity. 5 weeks post-op, I stood in that field on crutches while we laid Buddy to rest. He was only 10 years old.
Sept. 2010 - revision on TKR and 3 weeks post-op we found out that one of the ponies we were anxious to buy had been sold, but was now up for sale again. Not the greatest time to add a new member to the family, but we didn't want him to go to any other home. We picked him up and he was skin and bones, sick and pretty much on death's door. (that would be "Diamond", my black and white Shetland). Where there is a will, there is a way, and I managed to get up to the barn each day to give him his medicine, shots and whisper in his ear to PLLLLEEEAAAASE get better. In December of 2010, he finally turned the corner and he's happy, healthy and the best pony I could ever ask for. He was my therapy...my reason to get outside and to walk....and to have a purpose.
Now it's October 2011 - 2 weeks post-op from a revision of the revision of the first TKR. (wow...that's a mouthful!). "Gracie", our black shetland that looks like Black Beauty came down with strep throat and sinusitis (there are names for these in equine talk, but you get the idea) and was losing weight FAST. Her eyes are all goopy and she's got gobs of "snot" running out of her nose. Basically...just a mess....and it came on sooooo fast! Now my hubby, who is the greatest man I've ever known, just could not give "Gracie" the 8cc's of penicillin by injection into her neck twice a day. That leaves only me. Again..."where there is a will, there is a way". It takes me about 10 minutes to "crutch" my way uphill to the barn and get "Gracie" into her stall. Hubby helps keep the others away from me so I won't get hurt if they start to run. (I've had horses most of my life, so giving shots really isn't a big deal to me, but it's very scary to somebody who has never done it). Well...I really thought 4 days ago I was going to lose her. We had a hard time getting the penicillin, and I was really getting angry!...as you all know, don't ever tick off somebody who's in pain! .....I got up each morning at 7am, gave her the shot and stood there and just cried. She couldn't lift up her head and she was so weak she could barely stand up. I just stood there with my crutches and rubbed her sore neck, then her back and anywhere else I thought it would make her feel good. During that time, I pretty much forgot about my own pain. We repeated the shot at 5pm that night. This has been going on now for 4 days...

I DO have a reason for writing (or venting) this, as I want all of you to know that no matter how bad a situation is, or how much you want to just give up, there is a strength in you that often we don't even realize we have. It usually comes from helping somebody or something else other than focusing on ourselves. We find that inner strength to deal with the situation at hand, for that is who we are.....strong people!

As of tonight, my "Gracie" is finally picking up her head and her eyes are looking a bit brighter. I brushed her and made her look "pretty" and wished her a good night. On my way down the hill, I heard a bang on the stall door and then the most beautiful sound I've heard in a long time....a whinny! I think she's going to be ok....we'll know in 4 more days, but it looks like the infection is backing off. It's too bad she still needs 4 more days of injections, but I'd be willing to bet that she knows that if I can get myself up the hill and to her, that she can handle a few more days!...and did I tell you?....she didn't even flinch!

I would appreciate any prayers you can send my way for "Gracie". I know she will hear them, for you are all great people! :friends:
 
Audrey.....you and your sweet pony most certainly have my prayers. God especially watches over the beautiful animals that come into our lives and I pray that he will continue to heal Gracie. How your heart must have soared to hear that whinny....a "thank you" for you for sure.

Please keep us up to date. These traumas are tough to deal with, but sadly a part of life. Thank goodness Gracie is with you so that she can receive excellent care.
 
I wanted to "thank" you for your post, but what I really want is to thank you for sharing. Your story touched me and I will definitely be thinking of you and your pony! I hope you both see better days in the very near future!! :console:
 
Audrey,

As an animal lover myself, I feel your pain.:cry: You hve all my prayers and good thought for GRACIE. I sure God will be on your side and bring her through this.
 
Prayers going up for Gracie and for you Audrey! A courageous pair indeed! May healing for both of you be swift and complete!
 
Hi Audrey, I just wanted to let you know that I've been keeping up with your story and I'm sending lots of prayers your way - for you, your family and your dear Gracie!

I can relate to your story about the staples coming out, as I had something unpleasant happen to me about 5 yrs. ago. I had a TTT (tibial tubercle transfer) on both legs and noticed that about 2 1/2 yrs after I had the right one done, the upper screw started to back out of my tibia. The screw head had broke through my skin and was poking out, which was pretty uncomfortable. My OS agreed it needed to come out and called me back later to schedule it. He said I should come back the next day to the office towards closing time.

I thought for sure it would be an outpatient surgery procedure, but of course insurance said it was an 'in office' procedure! I was very afraid to have it done in the office!

I got there towards closing time; they did x-rays and took me in the exam room. The OS came in and began by giving me a shot to numb the surrounding tissues. The next thing I know, he says that the PA will be removing the screw. I glanced over at her and she looked angry that he delegated it to her. As the PA began using the screwdriver-looking tool, she was being too rough and rushing. Well, because she wasn't focusing, the tool slipped and she ripped more of my skin on the side and I started bleeding quite a bit. By then, the OS was visibly upset with the PA. He gave me another shot and quickly took her out of the room. Then he came back in, appologized to me, and finished taking the screw out!

I don't know what her problem was, but it was one of the worst experiences I've had at a doctor's office! When it was over with I sat on the exam table and just cried. I was in pain but also that was tramatic to go through. The OS came back over and gave me a pat on the shoulder and said he was truely sorry for the PA's actions. I noticed that I never saw that PA again there thankfully!

You didn't even receive an apology from the MA who 'ripped' out your staples. In my case, at least the OS apologized for the PA's behavior!

Sorry this turned out longer than I expected! Anyhow, I've put you and Gracie on several prayer lists in my area. I know God will see you through! Take care & keep us updated!!
 
Audrey,
I will have you and your pony in my prayers. I had to drive 45 miles to get some essentials yesterday so I didn't focus on my own discomfort I prayed about everyone I could think of and then some. Thinking about others helps me not to have to focus on what is going on in my life. It sounds like Gracie is in good hands. It is so hard to see a helpless animal in so much pain. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Please be careful waking.
Greda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom