Guest viewing is limited

Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is going to release (cut) the tendon behind my knee in hopes that will allow me to get my leg to zero degrees. It just won't go past 7 or 8 degrees, which makes it impossible to walk upright. He is going to remove any scar tissue (I'm sure there is a LOT!) that has accumulated, remove some bone on the inside of my knee where I am having pain, and replace the spacer with one that has a "knob" in the middle, rather than just a flat one. The knob will stabilize my knee from side-to-side. The thicker spacer (I have a 16mm one in there now) will hopefully stop my knee from being "loose", but will also end up hampering the ability to gain flexion past 90 degrees. (can't get past 90 degrees now, anyway) He set my kneecap a bit lower than normal when he did the revision, but may have to set it up a bit in order to get the leg straight. He is going to try to get the knee to go past zero degrees...maybe -5 degrees (hyper-extend) just to see if it capable of doing it once the spacer is in. He needs to know just how much he can flex and straighten the knee while I'm under anesthesia...much like a MUA. He is going to put me in an immobilizer, setting my leg to exactly zero degrees. I'll be walking on crutches (again) for about 3 weeks.
We don't know what all of this is going to do to the RSD, so it's a "**** shoot" on that subject. My leg may not be able to tolerate being set a zero, so that's why I'm staying in the hospital for an extra day. (He thinks I'll be there for 2-3 days now) Of course, infection is a big risk the more you go into the same area, so that's a concern as well.
We are hoping that the outcome will be that I will be able to straighten my leg, bend it to 90 degrees, have side-to-side stability as well as stop the looseness I get when I pick my leg up to walk, and then set it down. Chances are, I'll be in a brace of some sort whenever I go outside or want to do things outside of the house. If this works, I will go with this and opt out of having the fusion...for now.
 
My biggest fear with this revision coming up is that the recovery will be like it was last year when I couldn't get past 15 degrees extension on my own and with aggressive and force pushing/stretching, my PT could only get to 8 degrees. Obviously I couldn't walk very well. After my MUA, I got to 4 degrees and 120 flexion- was stuck at 4 for a long time but am now 0 or even a little past.

Sounds like an interesting surgery. Will be curious to see how it ends up. My thoughts are with you!
 
I think you've made the right choice, Audrey. Let's hope and pray it does the job!

And congrats on your big 5-0. Think yourself lucky - look in my post info (top right) and see what Santa just gave me for an early Chrissy pressie! :skeptical:
 
From past experience(s), I've learned that stuff needs to get done here at home before I have surgery...and I do mean STUFF!!! Let's see....I've painted the entire horse fence (120x100 ft.), painted as much house and window trim as I can (used to be grey/blue...now it's moss green), cleaned the house (almost top to bottom!), trimmed the front shrubs and the rose bush (OUCH...darn thorns!), cleaned the barn, washed some windows, (time out for a diet Coke!) went grocery shopping (hubby's gotta eat while I'm gone), did 3 loads of laundry (hubby's gotta have clean undies!), and dusted (ah-choooo!). Gonna go to the apple orchard this afternoon to get some apples so that I can bake hubby his favorite pie (hubby's gotta snack!) tomorrow. I'll clean the bathroom tomorrow, bake the pie and pack my bags for surgery!
When I get home, all the pie will be gone, the bathroom will need cleaning and the house will be detroyed. Gotta love being away! All you ladies out there know what I'm talking about!
I thank God every day for having "Peg" (my cast), as I could not have done any of this without it.
My next post will most likely be when I return from the hospital. Don't know if that will be on Wed. or Thursday, be you know I'll be updating as soon as I can! Thanks to ALL of you for your well-wishes and support! Right back at'cha!!!!! ~Audrey~
 
Audrey-
Thinking positive thoughts for your surgery tomorrow. Hopefully this will be it and you won't have to have the fusion done. Keep us updated.

Hope you're treating yourself to something special today!

Take care;
Kit
 
Audrey,

Thoughts and prayers are going your way for tomorrow's surgery. I hope for you that this will be the end of pain and suffering for you. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you can.
 
I can't believe all you did before surgery. When you get home let someone else take care of all that stuff. I am really hoping this is the answer for you and you get relief.
Greda
 
he is giving you a spacer that you can "walk" with? The one I just got only sits there and seperates the bones. I can't walk with it or put any weight on it.
 
Audrey, you are absolutely amazing!!! You're in my prayers and I look forward to hearing from you when you are up to posting.
 
Mary was here to see how surgery went. I'll be checking in . . .

Is it Massimo's? Or the place on the corner across from the library that you like?

You have such a great spirit. You DESERVE a functional knee. I'm thinking that there just might be a Knee Fairy out and about Bangor with you in her sites . . .
 
Hi everyone! I'm back home and full of all sorts of drugs, so if my typing is a bit off, you'll knowwhy. The surgery went well...it took 75 minutes...not the 20 he had planned for. He put in the spacer with the "knob" on it, released several tendosn, shaved some bone and got rid of some scar tissue. I was given the Ketamine again this time, but it did not work as welll...the RSD flared up and I've been in a lot of pain. His goal was to get the knee straight, and in the OR, he was able to get it to =4 degrees after he did the work. However, bending it, he couold get 100 and that was it. He said he was very fearful of doing anything else in or around the knee, as the knew the RSD was rearing it's ugly head during surgery.
I woke up with a knee immobilizer, drain and lots of pain. It took them over a day to find what would work. I'm on oxycontin, dilaudid for pain, and Lyrica and flexoril for the leg/knee spasms. I've got the spasms really bad this time. My whole body will "jump", my arms will flail out, and my legs just stiffen and then shoot upward. Not fun!!!!!
I was not very happy with the day nurse on Thursday, as she insisted that I get up and into a chair next to my bed. I told her I was in severe pain, and wanted to wait until that night, but she insisted. She picked up my leg from the heel, and when she did, I just about lost it. The pain was unbearable, and I screamed. She kept on telling me that we had to do this. Well..she ****** me off so much, that come hell or high water, I'd get my butt into that stupid chair....so I did. It old her she was barbarick and had no clue as to this pain I was having was due to the RSD. I can't remember when I cried to the point of hyperventilating, but I did that day. It was pure torture. The PT lady came in and said "what the hell are you doing to her"?.......I never saw that day nurse again. The PT lady understood, and she was the only one that was to touch anymore. That night, as the new pain meds kicked in, I was much better and got up and slowly walked to the baqthroom with my walker. Thank you, pain meds that worked!!!!! I really hate this "foggy" feeling, but I'll take it over pain any day!
The doc told me that we are to work on extension only until I see him on October 18th. I do have a CPM machine, and go on that twice a day. I can put the extension to -4 degrees, but the flexion can only be set at 30 degrees and that's it. As you all know, his goal was to get the knee stragiht so that i could walk without bending over. We had a long talk, and like before, we just don't know what the outcvome is going to be, but he expects zero degrees extension and probaqbly no more than 90 degrees flexion. We will be talking about immobilizers, braces and casts at my next visit. He both agreed that having the RSD flare up sucked. He alos said that going into the knee for anything would be very dangerous and he would not do it. My knee has had enough and the RSD is just waiting to act up.
I think that's all.....send me a message and I'll try to answer any of your questions. Oh....they had to try 7 times to get an IV into me. You should see my arms and the backs of my hands. Bruised really bad!!!! I have very thin veins, and they all had trouble. I sure wasn't happy about that!!!
 
Audrey....hon....my heart goes out to you for what you've had to go through. You are such a strong and brave person to still have your bright personality in place!!! You are truly an inspiration!

Please just try to rest as much as possble so that things can settle down. You are in my prayers for sure.
 
I usealy tell them to give me a pic after 3 tries. My veins collapse, roll and are either right at the surface or way down. You should ask for the pic, it is MUCH easier. Glad they found meds that would work. I'm finally down to a 3 with meds, lowest I have gotten since first of Aug. I feel for you. Hope it gets better every day
 
Audrey, you are one strong lady. I do so admire you. And there always seems to be one bull-headed nurse who thinks she knows best, doesn't there? *sigh* God bless you, honey. You're in my prayers.
 
Audrey,
You have been on my mind. I truly am glad the pain meds are working for you now. You are such a strong person. You will be in my prayers.
Greda
 
Hi Audrey,

Glad to hear pain meds are working for you. But bummer about the RSD.

I hope everything moves in the right direction for you! You're at Maine Med? Or Mercy?

Patients ALWAYS have the right to say "no"! They are working for you!! Nurses like that should not be in the profession.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery.
 
Hi all! Today has not been a good day. Seems to be a lot of mis-communication between my doc, the PT people at the hospital and discharge instructions. Nothing was written down as to what my "goals" are to meet when I see the doc in 3 weeks (Oct. 18th) for follow-up. From what I was told, it is more important to get and keep the extension to zero, and to be very careful not to push the flexion, as that will case the RSD to act up. Well...today I had to call the doc's office to get the paperwork faxed to St. Joes (a hospital close by) for my blood draw) and to see about PT at home and what the orders were. I was horrified when she said he wants me at 90 degrees by Oct. 18th. (In the hopsital, the goal was 50 degrees) I was told in the hospital that I would not need PT, as I had the CPM machine and that we would discuss PT if needed AFTER my follow-up. Nope...doc wants PT now. Are you confused yet? I sure am!!!!
Anyway.....we decided to get the bloodwork drawn today, which I did. What a FUN (not!) ride to the hopspital. Pain meds were all taken, but these darn Maine roads are always bumpy! I was in the "fog" from the meds and I looked like I'd been run over by a Mac truck. Good news, however....they got me with one stick of the needle! Yay!!!!!
My PT person (Bethany....she's been with me since the beginning of all this mess) is coming on Wed. to do a patient evaluation. She will also call and speak DIRECTLY to Dr. K to find out what "game plan" he wants to use, and how he wants to regulate the pain meds and other sutff that I'm on so that PT won't make the RSD worse. (Same "song and dance"...been there, done that!)
So...I'm on the CPM machine now, as I type. Loaded up on pain meds, but still have lots of pain behind my knee. What is it there? Don't know...could be RSD pain or just stretching the ligaments. But I thought that he cut them? (he did)
I have yet to find out if he ended up shaving bone, if he did more behind my knee than release the tendon, and if he had to recenter or move the kneecap button higher up. Bethany will be able to find out, as she will be able to see and read the op notes before I will, AND she will need to know EXACTLY what he did before she can do any PT. I hope to get those answers on Wed. when she comes for the eval.
I can honestly say I did not expect this much pain from this operation. Kinda threw me for a loop. Flashbacks of my first TKR (that was done in Bangor) keep running through my head. That time was a nightmare, and I don't want to head down that road again.
Coachie: I am hoping for the best for you next week. Have you gotten all of your questions answered?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom