TKR LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<

@LindaO, so glad your surgery went well. Best of luck to you for a successful recovery.
 
RNow that I have the pain under control I am feeling pretty good! Keeping the ice on constantly and keeping elevated.. My doctor ordered a CPM so using it as well. Doc ordered home health but apparently my insurance doesn't cover home health! Never heard of that...so will go to outpatient PT probably next week. Appetite is back now! Thank you for your thoughts! The bandage is quite bloody and I have to keep it on until the 27th for follow-up.
 
Glad you're on top of the pain Linda and have your appetite back.

I still keep ice on on mine majority of the time, helps so much with aches and pain.

It's a shame they couldn't change the bandage before leaving hospital but surgeons are very particular on what goes near the wound early on, aren't they?! My drainage cuts were messy too!

That's crazy your insurance doesn't cover home health!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Didn't have a drain. It is starting to hurt when elevated so to ease some of I sit up and do heel sides then try to elevate again! Once it starts hurting again, it is difficult to get it stabilized again...yes you he bandage doesn't look good but guess it is still clean. Going to try to shower today!
 
Remember you don't want to elevate with straight legs and if it is hurting you can move to propping legs up every once in awhile too (not toes above nose). But keeping them down for any length of time this early will be uncomfortable and lead to additional swelling. Did your OS give the ok to shower? If so, be careful especially if you are climbing into a shower. I made sure someone was in the house with me the first few times I showered and I have a walk in. Showering is exhausting at this point!
 
I had a shower chair, which was extremely healthy, but I still made sure I had a friend in the house with me my first couple of showers, too. And oh, they were so exhausting. That energy drain is a real thing that lasts for months. I wouldn't worry about PT for the first month at least. Just your gentle moments, heal slides and ankle pumps will be fine. And of course, your added trips to the bathroom and kitchen are also part of your therapy.
Are you keeping your knee slightly bend during your elevating? That should be less painful.
[Bonesmart.org] LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<
 
Because I spent the first week in a surgical transition care that specialized in replacements the therapy was just heel slides, stretches and walking the halls. That's really all you need in the beginning. The stretches helped me in getting out of bed and functioning around the house. I did attack the heel slides too strenuously and my revision surgeon corrected me on this. If you do go to PT next week don't do anything that hurts. Personally I think PT is better much later in recovery when you can actually work on gait and strengthening (4-5 months post op).
 
Yes ok to shower. I have a tub shower I will need to learn how to get in and out the of it! Glad to hear the leg doesn't need to be totally straight since this is what caused the pain. My pillows are Almost like the picture but with 2 pillows instead of three. Thanks again for the great advice!
 
Linda- I did get a transfer bench for my tub shower and it has worked out very well for me . I was about 1 wk in by the time I got mine but so nice to have a real shower! I still would have someone around but one of the best things I have bought!
I am going to try the 2 pillows instead of 3. Maybe what I need.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
KarriB PT has not called me yet so I am hoping it will be the following week.
DebbyS I didn't get a transfer bench but we have put a chair in that I hope will work. If the chair doesn't work, I will probably get the bench! Thanks for letting me know! (Predictive text during me nuts)!
 
PT has not called me yet so I am hoping it will be the following week.
When PT calls, make sure that you tell them if you feel you aren't yet ready to go. Make an appointment for the later week.
Not going to PT in these early days won't set your recovery back. In fact, my surgeon does not allow any formal PT for the first month after a TKR and his patients all do well. He says that your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing, before you start stressing it with formal exercise.

Right now, your knee gets all the exercise it needs when you walk to and from the bathroom and kitchen and around the house a little.

In all your interactions with the PTs, remember that you are the boss. Either directly or indirectly, you are paying for their services, so you are the employer. You don't have to please your therapists. They have to please you.
 
It will be extremely difficult to step into a tub shower. I couldn't do it and had to use a shower bench. I suggest you go ahead and get one before you hurt yourself trying to get in.
 
The shower transition seat was mot that expensive on Amazon and I used it until I felt secure to shower without it. Well worth it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so glad you have got a handle on the pain and things are settling down. I agree that you need to have someone to be close the first few times you shower. It amazed me how tired I got, I was completely worn out, but oh, how good it felt to be clean! Take care.
 
And the first time I washed my hair in the shower...heaven, but exhausting!
 
Good idea on the bench! I am sleeping well, waking up for meds naturally and keeping CPM on at night. Still up and iced the majority of the day. Thanks for all the experience and suggestions!
 
Glad to hear you are doing well and sleeping well.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Happy you hear your early recovery is going well!
 
Sleeping well this early in your recovery is wonderful and very unusual. How blessed you are!
 
Back
Top Bottom