TKR LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<

Linda, if you can, stay in hospital until the nerve block has worn off and your pain is well controlled on a regular medication regime.
 
Get that on Q-pump. This is the device that will help you succeed.

Congrats
 
I don't think all hospitals use the Q-pump, Mike. Some use a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) IV system and others just give oral or IV one-shot medication.

Whatever the pain control method, it's important to keep ahead of the pain, taking pain medications on a regular schedule, because playing catch-up with the pain is not fun.
 
Yes, stay ahead of the pain, playing catch up is no fun at all! How have the group meals been? :heehee:
 
Will start the group therapy tomorrow. I am getting 5mg hydrocodone every 6 hrs. So far it is doing the trick but I worry about what will happen when the block wears off. Pumping the ankles but do have right calf pain not severe but noticeable. We will see what tomorrow brings!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like a good first day! Good luck with the group tomorrow. Don't get competitive!
 
Congratulations on your new knee. Don't let any PT hurt you at all. If you notice your pain is not working well for you make sure you speak up immediately.
 
Glad you're on the other side, knee block sounds wonderful!! (Never had it as my spine wouldn't cooperate)Take your time don't let them rush you. And be ready for when the block wears off!! Thinking of you x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LindaO I hope you have a good day today. Remember to not overdo it in PT and stay ahead of the pain. My knee block wore off so fast, and I didn't really understand how it worked at the time, that I was blindsided with the pain and lost a day of healing. As soon as you feel the pain coming make sure they give you something. Hope you get lots of rest.
 
Back at home now, and the pain has intensified tremendously! It is so swollen I can't do the heel slides but by about 1-2 inches. Pain in calf is tender to touch but Doc looked at it and said it was ok. Sleeping a lot! Thank you for all of your support!
 
Glad you are home. Your description sounds like me the day I came home, it does get better. Just rest (and ekevate & ice). You're on your way!
 
Remember you can ice all night if you want and it will help with the swelling. Swelling this early is normal, rest, ice, elevate as much as possible.
 
Linda, so glad you are home. You will get more rest at home. Sleeping a lot is normal.
I remember when I was in the hospital I could not move my leg. Still heel slides are tough but they get better each day. Baby steps. You will be amazed at the improvements you make each day.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
My calf was very tender, that's where all my bruising was seen from the back of the knee all the way to the heel. I'm still sleeping a lot now and I'm 17 days post.
Take care of yourself, baby steps. I still need to remember this too x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<
[Bonesmart.org] LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<
 
Before and after...or after and before
 
Lots of blood. You're sitting in a chair too :)

How're you feeling?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Welcome home. You are probably hurting more because of all the activity surrounding your trip home. Now concentrate on elevating the correct way ( toes above nose), icing and taking your medications as prescribed. Just getting up to the bathroom and perhaps to the kitchen to grab a drink is plenty of exercise right now. Sleep whenever you can. For the first couple of weeks that's about all you need.
 
I agree with Marian, the knee needs to be elevated and that'll help with swelling and an all over more comfortable feeling.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom