MUA Limited ROM - CRPS

Hi @Minnie's knees, I am still struggling. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he is giving me another 6 weeks to try and gain more ROM. I will see the pain specialist again soon and have a new physio therapist. Hopefully, that will help. One day at a time.
If I can't get more ROM I will be looking at a surgery to remove scar tissue.
#CRPS
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Wrangler I am sorry to hear you are still struggling. Hopefully you don't have to go through another surgery. However, there are others here that had good results with surgery to remove scar tissue. I think @skigirl is one of them and can probably direct you to others who have had the surgery.

This recovery is not easy and complications make it harder. Wishing only the best for you :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am still at around 60-70 ROM depending on the day. I hope the new physio can do some magic for me. Thanks @skigirl for stopping by - I may have some questions in the future.
#CRPS

Spring has sprung early here so I am enjoying that. Can't wait for the spring blooms to appear.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Four months post op and still stuck at 65-70 degrees. All the specialists in agreement that I need another surgery to tackle the scar tissue. I will be talking to the pain doc to see what can be done to prevent a #CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) flare up. I will let you all know when I have a surgery date.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bless your heart. I am so sorry you are having such a difficult long recovery. I am keeping you in my thoughts and will check back to see how you are doing. I am now 5 months postoperative and am at 118 degrees. Still tring to keep stretching and doing exercises still have swelling and IT band pain some days. This is such a long recovery process and harder then a lot of people think. I still get why aren't you doing better by now from of course people who have not gone through this surgery! Take care and keep us posted!
 
Thanks for your kind words @numbzee. I hope your swelling and IT band pain goes away soon. It has been a much tougher recovery than I thought. I also thought I would be able to get more ROM when the pain was more manageable but unfortunately that's not the case.
 
Wrangler, I'm sorry about your post-op stiffness. I think about you often, and wish you a smoother, speedier recovery. Maybe one of the experienced Bonesmarties can help you find a specialist for the next step in this process.
 
@Clipless thanks for your warm wishes. I now have an appts to see my OS and pain doc on the 10th. I'll hopefully be able to find out details of the surgery to discuss with the pain doc. I have been reading lots of medical journals about surgery and CRPS - one recommended protocol to avoid flare up is to take 500 mg of Vitamin C for 40-60 days post op. I will certainly try this. I will likely get another lumbar block when I see the pain doc.

All things considered, I am doing well. The limited mobility I do have is relatively pain free. I can drive and walk around with mobility aids to assist my gait. If I push for extension or flexion it still REALLY hurts. My knee is hot most of the time. Ice and #CRPS do not play well together. I will have to discuss this with pain doc for post surgery protocol.

We are having beautiful spring weather and I intend to enjoy it!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Wrangler Sorry to read about your difficulties. Here's to getting some answers on 10th. Enjoy the beautiful weather. Maggie x
 
Hi Wrangler, sorry to hear about all of the bumps in your road to recovery! I am 6 weeks post op and haven't gotten past an 80 yet, and that is with a LOT of pushing...I am scheduled for an MUA on Monday April 6th and praying it will go smoothly and swiftly..I won't be staying in the hospital, it is an out patient procedure here..Feeling a bit nervous! Hope you are having a good week!
 
@Spencieca - I think for most people an MUA really helps. It caused a #CRPS flare up for me and that is likely why it did not work - I'm no doctor. I know that the bone smarties here think 7 weeks is too early for an MUA. I had my MUA at 7 weeks. I will try and find the article for you.

In any event, good luck with your recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wrangler..I am happy with my decision so far, we have been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now..If I were making better progress then it wouldn't be an issue for me..but I'm a very active person with an active lifestyle. I've already given up running and playing singles tennis, but I want to be able to ride a bike and swim and play doubles without severe pain..and I'm a very impatient patient :)
 
@Spencieca That's a great attitude! I am needing another surgery and I am good with that decision. I, like you, have given up activities including running and soccer. I can't wait to bike again! From most people's accounts it takes up to two weeks to feel better after the MUA. Good luck and hope you are back to swimming cycling and tennis soon!
 
I saw my surgeon and pain doc yesterday. My surgeon said that usually the next step would be to have an open synovectomy/lysis of adhesions in the hopes of getting more ROM. However, he is concerned that it will cause a #CRPS flare up and the surgery (like the MUA) will be for naught. He has left the decision up to me. I would be looking at a surgery date in July.

My pain doc is also concerned about the trauma that the surgery would cause and the resulting CRPS flare up. He is an amazing, caring soul - he spent an hour and a half with me discussing my options. He gave me another lumbar block and I am scheduled for another block in 3 weeks time. He says it is quite likely that I may be permanently disabled and may never gain more ROM. He said he will do whatever he can to support me if I decide to go ahead with the surgery. I would be admitted to the hospital after the surgery for 4-7 days with an epidural and CPM machine to try and 'beat' the CRPS.

Even after hearing all this I am refusing to give up! The flex I do have is less painful and I am continuing to do PT daily. I can get around with crutches or a cane and get out daily. I also continue to take lots of photos (my brain therapy). Last night we were treated to an amazing show of Northern Lights.

I was pretty crushed yesterday knowing that I may never get "better". But I have so much in my life to be thankful for that I will keep my head up and plunder on.

Can one of the admins please change my header - Limited ROM - CRPS. Thanks! @kneeper @Celle
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am continuing to do PT daily
I find this interesting. Also the comment re CRPS - has this actually been diagnosed?

I'm going to ask you a couple of questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each onein as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

2. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
Hi @Josephine , I have been diagnosed with #CRPS by a pain specialist. My surgeon, GP and PT also suspected same.

I am 4½ months post op. My range of motion is 20 degrees to 65 degrees comfortably and 70 degrees after PT. I still have a lot of pain although the pain has subsided in the past few weeks in the limited range I do have. If I try and push for more ROM the pain is excruciating so I do my exercises very slowly and gently.

I still walk with crutches if I am out and about. I don't do too much in the way of activity. If I need to pick up groceries - it's quick - less than 10 minutes. My husband does the shopping and also cooks for me. I do a bit of housework - up to 30 minutes a day but not all at once - pick up after my son, put away dishes, clean up bathroom etc. 5-10 minute stints. I do get out once or twice a week to take photographs. I may be on my feet for up to 30 minutes for this. This may not be good for my knee but is great for my brain.

PT - I do back and forth pedalling on a recumbent bike 5 minutes/day. I also do 5 minutes of an exercise my pain doc wanted me to do. My knee hangs over my husband's thigh and he gently pushes up and down on my ankle. I work on extension by putting my ankle on a stiff pillow - 5 minutes. If any of the exercises hurt too much I stop. If I am at home all day I go for a 10 minute walk to stretch and to work on my gait.

I do not do leg lifts or knee slides. Knee slides are extremely painful. I have read the articles that you have posted re: CRPS and have done a lot of research of my own. I would be delighted if I did not have it.

I have had two lumbar blocks. Soon after the blocks my leg feels warmer and some colour returns. My knee also feels less sensitive and a little less painful. I hope I have provided enough information for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Knee slides are extremely painful
I imagine you mean heel slides here! I think with #CRPS they would be. I'm so please you have such a helpful and kindly husband. What a blessing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, heel slides - the brain fails me sometimes!! And very thankful for my wonderful husband!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom