Guest viewing is limited

MUA Limited ROM - CRPS

For the past couple of days, I was experiencing a lot of electric feelings in my knee - some painful, some tingling. Just realized that I had forgotten to take my nerve meds (Lyrica) for the past 4 days. Doh! It really makes a difference.
 
Just popped in to catch up on some threads and to provide a quick update.

I am still seeing the pain specialist. I have my 4th lumbar block scheduled for the 11th. Doc feels they are helping and my leg looks less shiny and has a bit more colour (not so pale). The pain and stiffness is still there. My range is still 20-65ish.

I am still contemplating another surgery although my pain doc is dead set against it. I REALLY want to bend my knee enough to ride a bike. The pain doc says it could make #CRPS worse (cringe). I have 3 more blocks so I will have to see how I feel after they're done.

I have done a lot of reading and there is one inexpensive protocol that is supposed to help after surgery to prevent CRPS from developing. 500 mg/day of Vitamin C for 30-60 days (different times in different studies). Thought it was worth a mention ... I will have a look for the articles so I can link them.

Happy knees to all and to all a good night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hey @Wrangler - just returning the "thread catch up".... my my you have had a journey and a half. Reading your thread I see a very strong determined woman behind the words. Your decision re further surgery to address scar tissue is truly a difficult one - I have no insight for you here other than to offer support for what ever decision you make. Please keep us up to date - sending hugs (((((wrangler))))))
 
Vitamin C and #CRPS

https://www.jhandsurg.org/article/S0363-5023(14)01151-4/abstract

"vitamin C administration is of relatively low cost and has few complications unless administered in large doses. Owing to sufficient epidemiological evidence availability, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommendation of vitamin C to prevent CRPS has practical merit."

broken link removed: https://ptrehab.ucsf.edu/sites/ptrehab.ucsf.edu/files/documents/Vitamin%20C%20is%20Effective%20in%20Preventing%20Complex%20Regional%20Pain%20Syndrome%20in%20Adults%20Following%20Trauma_Pickering.pdf

"Vitamin C is effective in the prevention of complex regional pain syndrome in adults following trauma.

Following a traumatic injury or extremity surgery, PTs should recommend a patient consult with a dietician or physician to discuss the possibility of implementing Vitamin C into their daily regimen during the recovery process."
 
Wow, the Vit C protocol is promising news! I hope it helps you. If Vit C protects against CRPS, I assume it also promotes healing? Though I live in the land of sunshine and orange groves, I frequently forget to get enough C. I am headed out for some fresh OJ!
 
Interesting links, Wrangler. Thanks so much for posting them. It certainly hurts nothing to take Vitamin C following surgery and if it could help prevent #CRPS in patients.....it would appear to be advisable to take it in doses from 500-1000mg for 45-50 days after surgery.

@Poppet
 
@Clipless - I've been told by my pain doc that it's too late for me re: vitamin C. I take it anyway - it can't hurt.

@Jamie - My thought exactly.
 
Absolutely @Jamie, there are a number of studies and articles relating to the taking of Vitamin C for CRPS in the early stages subsequent to the trauma.
 
Had another block on Thursday - my pain doc is very optimistic and believes we can get to 90 degrees. Right after the block he got my knee to 75-80. I have two more blocks to go.

I cancelled my surgery that was booked for July 16th. I will book a date in October just in case.

My knee has been really stiff and sore. I hope that time will be my knee's friend.
 
My OS moved and I have been referred to a new OS but haven't seen him yet. I am still battling the beast and have not been able to get more range - 70 degrees on a good day. I have two more appts with the pain doc and am keeping my fingers crossed.
I desperately want to ride my bike again. I ordered a pedal pendulum and am hoping it will make it possible. I haven't been on the forum for a while. I hope everyone is progressing well and their knees are happy!

broken link removed: https://hasebikes.com/files/pedalpendel_web_1-09_1.pdf
 
I got the part today but they sent one for the left not the right. Phooey! :gaah:
 
Bummer that you have the flu . You don't need all this extra discomfort and pain on top of your knee surgery.
Over the weekends my ROM numbers go down a little until I get back to PT three times a week. They work you much harder than we do at home of course. I bought the long green strap so I can continue to do the stretching exercises and it helps. I'll be thinking about you and hope you feel better soon.
@numbzee, can I ask what the stretching exercises are that you all mention?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom