THR Lily's recovery

Had 90 degree restrictions for 6 weeks then Dr said all restrictions lifted as bone will have grown into implant. At 9 weeks out still try and watch what I do , but have been able to bend over and pick things up.
 
Hi Goma

Look up something called the Golfers Reach. It involves stretching out the op leg behind you abd then bending the knee of the non op leg to reach doen and pick up something. I mostly used the grabber during my ongoing recovery but this did work . Obviously not to be done if your knees aren’t strong!
 
Golfers reach
[Bonesmart.org] Lily's recovery
Be sure you hold on to something when you first attempt this.
 
Prior to hip problem I just folded over like going to touch the floor. I have two grabbers a longer heavy duty grabber and a shorter delicate grabber. Ahhh, something new to learn.
 
I only has this when things are difficult to pick up with the grabber.
 
That's great..bending without bending the hip.

I also have a grabber but they don't work for everything. I have two cats and luckily there's someone here at mealtimes to put their bowls down but the bending without bending the hip would be an alternative if I'm alone.

I'm in the overdone it group today. It's too much walking today..weather was so warm today I went out to the garden several times. My incision is very stingy and tender so I'll be upping the meds and taking more time to rest till the pain eases up.

I didn't think I did that much but clearly I did. So easy to overestimate how much you can do.
 
Last edited:
I bought an outside heavy duty grabber. The salesclerk said the city’s maintenance crews used it. I have found it to be very helpful. I think with practice you could feed pets using it- like to put a food bowl down. I dropped a metal straw on the floor one day- it had to sit there until someone else came along.
 
………….

I'm in the overdone it group today. It's too much walking today..weather was so warm today I went out to the garden several times. My incision is very stingy and tender so I'll be upping the meds and taking more time to rest till the pain eases up.

I didn't think I did that much but clearly I did. So easy to overestimate how much you can do.


Snap! I think too much walking aggravated my incision somewhat. Will just do 30 mins around the garden. Being on grass I reckon it is the equivalent of 45 mins on concrete. Lots of interesting challenges like hidden hosepipes, the big front door step, sidestepping past the timpani in the hall, navigating past the boxes in the sitting room, down the steps into the back garden and around again. I Think of it as “circuit training for hippies” … I’m going to try one crutch today..
 
Yes and actually it is easier as using my legs more and not tempted to lean on the crutches. Also easier to keep my back straight. No incision pain today - can one hope? I will still use two crutches away from the house as people then tend to stay clear. Less blistering in my hands too which shows I am relying on my legs more!
 
Hope so too that you're incision is better.

When aggravated it's a really stingy, prickly pain.
 
I'm coming up to two weeks tomorrow and it seems ages away.

I'm sleeping alot..all night with a few breaks and most afternoons. I never usually sleep during the day but I just can't stay awake.
I have very little appetite and just eat bland food..mainly toast ,fruit , some vegies and weak tea. I'm a coffee drinker and presently I can't stand it.
I put it down to the oxycodone that I'm on for pain relief.
I take a slow release pain relief pill twice a day, celebrex twice a day and one oxycodon every four hours supplemented by paracetamol as needed.
Sounds alot but I've been told to stay ahead of the pain and not wait till it kicks in.
I can get through the day on paracetamol and use oxycodone at night. I also ice constantly which is great for pain.

My main pain is my incision which can become very stingy and sore if I overdo it so I know my limits are. Still on sennokot for constipation but it's part of the process and quite normal through recovery.

I'm most comfortable on two crutches however can also get around on one if I must. I can stand on both legs without crutches which I do when I shower.

I sleep on my back with my whole legs elevated on pillows and I have rolled up towels between my feet to keep my legs straight which is ok

Physio is mainly walking and doing some exercises that my physio sends through on an ipad but I'm not that diligent and only do what's comfortable. I get enough walking around.

I'm satisfied with how I'm going and apart from pain swelling and bruising I think I'm making progress.

Mentally it's frustratingly slow but patience is the key and I'll get there.

Can't imagine not having this forum and wonderful people to lean on.
Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Sounds alot but I've been told to stay ahead of the pain and not wait till it kicks in.
Yes, staying ahead of the pain is the way to go! When you start forgetting doses it's the sign your body is weaning off your meds.

Very early days for you - patience prescribed in large doses!
 
At only 2 weeks it is super early days. Don’t rush going onto one crutch, I’ve only dropped to one in the house at 4 weeks. And only minimal pottering at your stage is needed from coach to loo and kitchen etc.
I am still on pain relief - although I am on half the dose from discharge now. I slowly titrated down and some days I still need an extra dose. You sound like you are doing great!
 
I only go one crutch if I have to carry something say a glass of water or get fresh ice..a very short distance around the house when I'm by myself.

I live with my husband but I'm home alone some days so have to rely on myself at times to get something I need.
I always use both crutches otherwise.

Thanks.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom